Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2017, 10:41 PM   #15

Commercial Member

On my phone so don't have load charts but if you are only running 80 psi a LR -E tire may carry your load.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2017, 10:45 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
On my phone so don't have load charts but if you are only running 80 psi a LR -E tire may carry your load.

The Sailun is a G -14 ply. What would be the reference to "LR-R" tire?
Hurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 04:33 PM   #17

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurk View Post
The Sailun is a G -14 ply. What would be the reference to "LR-R" tire?

LR Load Range are letters such as C, D, E, F, G, H, J. I do not know where you saw "LR-R".
Old 05-05-2017, 04:56 PM   #18

Quote:
LR Load Range are letters such as C, D, E, F, G, H, J. I do not know where you saw "LR-R".

That was a typo I meant LR-E. so even if the Sailun has a load range of G and 14 ply its ok to run at 80psi when tire is rated for max 110. A lot of people have stated that ST TIRES should be inflated to max psi as stated on sidewall due to torque placed on tires? I see the Sailun tire load chart gives listing for 80psi supporting 3400 lbs so if their chart gives loads for less than 110 psi should be ok?

I'm used to motor home tires where you inflate to tire inflation chart according to load I'm somewhat confused with trailer tires?
Old 05-06-2017, 02:45 PM   #19

Commercial Member

Quote:
That was a typo I meant LR-E. so even if the Sailun has a load range of G and 14 ply its ok to run at 80psi when tire is rated for max 110. A lot of people have stated that ST TIRES should be inflated to max psi as stated on sidewall due to torque placed on tires? I see the Sailun tire load chart gives listing for 80psi supporting 3400 lbs so if their chart gives loads for less than 110 psi should be ok?

I'm used to motor home tires where you inflate to tire inflation chart according to load I'm somewhat confused with trailer tires?

Tires in trailer applcation experience significantly higher "Interply Shear" forces that are trying to tear the belts off the body of the tire. This can end up with a "Tread or Belt Separation.

You can read more on my blog. Check the list on left for Interply Shear.

Also you can Google "Interply Shear tires" to see some technical papers if you want to knkow more.

Yes higher pressure will lower the Interply Shear.
Old 05-06-2017, 03:35 PM   #20

Quote:
Tires in trailer applcation experience significantly higher "Interply Shear" forces that are trying to tear the belts off the body of the tire. This can end up with a "Tread or Belt Separation.

Also you can Google "Interply Shear tires" to see some technical papers if you want to knkow more.

Thanks Tireman9. So.... having said that: for a tire that has 110 max psi on sidewall that is rated for 4,000 lbs at that psi and if your load is 3,000 lbs and the tire load chart states at 80 psi load is 3400 lbs; it would be safe to run at 80 psi regarding "interplay shear". Main reason for me asking is that my Aluminum wheel is rated for 80psi and I want to use the Sailun 235-80-16G 14 ply rated at 110 psi.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:39 PM   #21

Commercial Member

Quote:
Thanks Tireman9. So.... having said that: for a tire that has 110 max psi on sidewall that is rated for 4,000 lbs at that psi and if your load is 3,000 lbs and the tire load chart states at 80 psi load is 3400 lbs; it would be safe to run at 80 psi regarding "interplay shear". Main reason for me asking is that my Aluminum wheel is rated for 80psi and I want to use the Sailun 235-80-16G 14 ply rated at 110 psi.

Yes running higher pressure without exceeding the max for tire or wheel would be better for lower Interply Shear
Old 05-08-2017, 09:34 AM   #22

Quote:

The LRG Sailun tires are manufactured in both polyester & steel casings. Steel cased tires are prone to "zipper" ruptures. Is there a different incident for "interply sheer", depending on construction?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 11:23 AM   #23

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The LRG Sailun tires are manufactured in both polyester & steel casings. Steel cased tires are prone to "zipper" ruptures. Is there a different incident for "interply sheer", depending on construction?
Interply Shear is a belt related issue. This can increase the chances of belt/tread separations.

"Zipper" failure is a sidewall issue and is the nickname given to the condition seen in steel body ply tires from fatigue failure of the steel from running significantly low on pressure.

Polyester, Nylon and other non steel materials sometimes used can also fail due to running low pressure. In the case of Poly and others the heat generated in the sidewall from over flexing can result is loss of strength and in extreme cases melting of the textile. I have shown this on my blog when I wrote about a real life "blowout" that is more accurately called a RLOF or Run Low Flex Failure.

I can't post a direct link to the post but can PM you the link.
Old 05-09-2017, 11:20 PM   #24

Quote:
Interply Shear is a belt related issue. This can increase the chances of belt/tread separations.

"Zipper" failure is a sidewall issue and is the nickname given to the condition seen in steel body ply tires from fatigue failure of the steel from running significantly low on pressure.

Polyester, Nylon and other non steel materials sometimes used can also fail due to running low pressure. In the case of Poly and others the heat generated in the sidewall from over flexing can result is loss of strength and in extreme cases melting of the textile. I have shown this on my blog when I wrote about a real life "blowout" that is more accurately called a RLOF or Run Low Flex Failure.

I can't post a direct link to the post but can PM you the link.
You didn't answer the question, Is there a different incident for "interply shear", depending on construction?

Do we have to delve so deep into tire construction to prevent damages? Can we not just follow the vehicle manufacturers tire maintenance recommendations and avoid the common types of tire failures? If a trailer is within its GVWR and GAWR ratings and the tires are properly inflated do we still have to worry about other more sophisticated forces?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 09:09 AM   #25

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
You didn't answer the question, Is there a different incident for "interply shear", depending on construction?

Do we have to delve so deep into tire construction to prevent damages? Can we not just follow the vehicle manufacturers tire maintenance recommendations and avoid the common types of tire failures? If a trailer is within its GVWR and GAWR ratings and the tires are properly inflated do we still have to worry about other more sophisticated forces?
As an engineer I am very hesitant to make a flat absolute statement of yes or no to your question as there are too many other variables. Best I can do is to say something is more or less likely.

Unless you make a number of changes to the belt package i.e. increased rubber gauge or with the addition of cap ply(s) or maybe 3 belts rather than 2, I do not see how body changes can make a significant and meaningful change to belt Interply shear.

"Prevent" is very difficult while lower the probability of catastrophic failure is a reasonable goal.

Increasing the load capacity of your tires would lower the potential of failure but that might mean you have to change size, construction or increase inflation from what the RV company provided and I know you do not want to do any of those things.

There is no Magic that can make a given tire more durable but there are things engineering can do that can result in improvements.

Taking steps to ensure you are not overloading the tires (knowing actual loads on tires) is a step in the right direction. RV Mfg do not mention balancing load side to side which would lower potential of failure as the tire on the heavy end of the axle is probably not going to run as long as the lighter loaded end.

You want the RV Mfg tire to be the best possible and it just isn't likely. You want Mfg load and inflation numbers to be the best possible but also not likely.

IMO ST tires are 1960 technology designed for 1960 highways and usage, even with the new introduction of speed rating. Modenn LT tires with Service Description are much more likely to deliver longer life as long as the actual load is kept to 85% of the tire capacity. The 85% helps address the observable loading above static measurement due to cornering, wind and road crown.

You do not have to worry about "sophisticated forces" if you go with reasonable loading which comes from using 21st century tire engineering and regulatory requirements which are found in current LT tires.

Those that want to use ST tires are assuming that the laws of physics change because of the letters on a tire sidewall.

At it's most basic level tire engineers know Load capacity is simply a function of air pressure x air volume and durability can be improved when the capacity is greater than the actual loading at any given speed.

IMO improvements to current regulatory requirements for trailer application have been hindered with the industry desire to keep initial cost lower with the attendant loss of long term tire life.

Owners would not have to worry about "sophisticated forces" if the RV company did some actual engineering analysis and design work as is done by auto companies, but since that just isn't going to happen in the RV industry then it is up to the owner.
Old 05-11-2017, 04:06 PM   #26

Commercial Member

Fast
Only reason I bring up the technical stuff such as Interply Shear is that when I offer advise such as "Trailer owners should run the tire sidewall max unless that pressure exceeds the wheel rating" people ask Why?

I doubt that many would accept "Because i said so" or " Be cause I am a tire engineer"

Tags
tire pressure