Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-05-2009, 11:02 AM   #1

Tire Problems !!!!

Well we got the itch to hit the road . We had a split in the flooring so I started putting in the Allure flooring. Looks great then I looked at the tires they are B F Goodrich 2 1/2 year old and under 7,000 miles they look great but the side walls are cracking, all four Bummer !!!! Well I will call the tire guy tomorrow and see if their is a warranty on the tires.
I was out looking at Jayco's yesterday . Well I can't trade-up like this.

I guess the moral to the story is check out your rig !!!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-05-2009, 05:26 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
UV will do a number on tires very quickly. Use tire covers or a tarp to keep the sun from destroying the tires. They are worth the money.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
They tell me some "Minor" cracking or crazing is normal.. However I"m not quite sure how you define "Minor" as opposed to "Major" (I am not a tire professional)

Also, did you check the date code? I"ve heard of people buying tires that were Brand New, they specifically ask the sales jerk if they were NEW or of they had been sitting in a warehouse for years and were told they were BRAND NEW

They were 11 years old
Old 04-05-2009, 06:38 PM   #4

I hate to blame the tires , but the spare has never hit the ground and it's cracking too. I had covers on the tires when the rig was stored. I think that's how the Mouse got in too. Well that's another story!!!
My Daughter used to work for a tire dist. Well tomorrow she will call her old boss. Hoping for a good response we'll see tomorrow. I sure hate paying for new shoes when were looking at a new unit.

Wayne
Old 04-06-2009, 05:05 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
There is a date stamp on all tires. Even when you buy what you think is new; they may not be. The rubber starts breaking down as soon as they are built. Simply: check the datestamp on your tires when purchasing "new" and make sure they are!
There are a couple threads on here somewhere that go into a bit more detail; worth looking into.

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 06:31 AM   #6

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=30
contains good information about tire cracks. Some tire cracks are normal, some not. BTW, ST tire warranties are for 2-4 years. Running ST tires at maximum inflation is very important; so important in fact_ Carlisle says their warranty is voided if their ST tires are operated at less than maximum sidewall pressure. http://www.tirelitigation.com/sidewall_markings.html
explains how to read tire markings and what they mean.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 12:56 PM   #7

Thank's for all the Relpys

Here's what I got so far .
Well first they asked if the tires were covered ? YES then they said said the crack's are Normal !!! I asked why don't my BFG's on the car have crack's too ,a bit of quite on the other end of the phone.
Well on the week-end I will put the trailer on jack stands and take all four to the BFG store.
I took the chineese tires off to get some trusty American tires. Well at least they say made in USA. Well now I wonder what's up with the BFG's. I guess Ill let BFG have a chance to check them out. Well I have to service the Bearings any way.

Well I just walked out to check again looking for the Dot # ( just too darn cold I'll wait till I remove them ) The cracks seam in a circle around the tire name BFG T/A and all that stuff . Almost looks as the sidewall is letting go. But I'll let the expert's look at them . No not the 16 yr. old kid. I will be going to a BFG tire dist. center ( with the 17yr old kid )

Wayne
Old 05-07-2009, 12:13 PM   #8

Just came back from BFG store. Rep looked at the tires and said they are bad. I did ask for the date code and they were made in 06 so they were fresh.

Well they don't have them in stock. So I left them the wheels and tires and will pick them up tomorrow, don't know what it will cost yet. The rep said not enought use I guess we will have to get out more, Just to keep the Tires Happy!!!

The old 5th wheel looks strange up on jacks in the yard. Good time to do the bearings. The bad part of the story is this is the third set of tires in three years and I bought the Bird new. Kenda the frist time.

I got to get going for all the Rallys
Old 05-07-2009, 02:13 PM   #9
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I suggest you take the opportunity to check your brakes as well - magnets, drums, shoes etc.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:43 PM   #10

Well I got the tires today mounted & balanced. I checked all the wheels and brakes used 5 cans of brake clean. I had one seal seep alittle cleaned up and hand packed the bearings. The bearings all looked good. Brakes were good to but when I pulled the brake-away cable and nothing. I tapped the switch and the brakes set. I think I will give it a shot of WD-40 tomorrow.

Ok here's the Question what do I torque the lug nuts I was think-in 80 lbs but the old memory ain't what it use to be.

We have a trip to the Escappes in Sedila Mo in two weeks. Then off to the rally in Ohio. We will be showing off our new tires .

Happy Camping
Old 05-08-2009, 09:25 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just got 6 new tires on the moho today, they were cracking also. Michelin stepped up at 40% of retail, $1300 out the door. I'm a happy camper now.
mountainkowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2009, 05:06 AM   #12

Torque

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogi154 View Post
Ok here's the Question what do I torque the lug nuts I was think-in 80 lbs but the old memory ain't what it use to be...
I use 120 '#s steel 100 '#s aluminum. Check your rig's manual to be certain.
'08 Titanuim 28E33SA #458, Husky16K, XM Roady2, PD9260. 400W Solar, 4 6V GC jars, '04 3500 Ram 5.9 DRW, Gauges, F'Tank Mods, Aux Tank/t'box, BrakeSmart, Cobra CB (19), XM Direct.
SCClockDr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #13

Well We're Home

The tires, bearings and brakes were Fine. I packed the bearings greased the slides on the brakes after a good wash with brake clean checked everything A-OK. I checked tire & bearing temp with an infared gun No Problems I was darn happy too.

We pulled out for Sedalia Mo on Sat. the 23rd and back home last nite. We had a Great Time. Rain and Mud for the first part of the week. The Black Pig pulled out two trucks and 5th wheels. I sure like 4 wheel dr.

Well two weeks till the Rally.

Wayne