Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-02-2013, 01:44 PM   #1

Tire replacement (not another tire rant)

I'm posting this in the 5th Wheel Discussion because 5er's have unique jacking requirements due to their weight. Height further complicates things. It will soon be time to replace my tires and I have a few concerns.

In my area, Tampa, Fl., there are plenty of tire shops, but I question how many of them have changed tires on a 5th wheel. It's not just about the competence in knowing where and how to jack, it's also about having enough room to maneuver. Downtown shops are out of the question. Camping World is just a few miles down the road from me, but I will not deal with them.

So I ask, anyone in the Tampa area have their 5er tires changed and would recommend a competent shop having ample room to maneuver and they personally had do their work.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-02-2013, 02:24 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
If you are able, I'd really recommend putting the trailer on jack stands and taking them in yourself in your pickup. That's what I did when I changed ours. I ordered our load range D tires online which was the most cost effective way to go and when they came in, I brought them along with my tires/rims in to a local shop for the swap. I understand you may not be able or interested in doing this yourself but it was a safer bet for us. An RV dealer will mark things up immensely and you're right to thing a local shop may be undersized for the task.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:34 AM   #3

I would think you have not looked long enough--there has to be a tire shop with room to put your trailer/truck in the parking lot for an hour. This was done for me at a Big O shop in Provo--pulled alongside the building and they placed a floor jack under each axle spring mount pad, and I was on my way in 90 minutes. They all have air hose extensions to reach a long distance.
Sorry I can't help with a specific shop in Tampa.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Before anyone jumps on me, I meant load range G.
taken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #5

I got my last set for my 5ver at Tire Kingdom. They where able to handle the rig and truck with no problem.
dlane34240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:31 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

My local farmer's tire/battery/fuel shop handles all sorts of big trailers, even 18 wheeler trailers. The trailers are backed up to the building and not even attempt to go inside the shop. Air hoses, impact wrenchs and jacks can easily be moved outside to the trailers for tire/wheel work. It's routine for them, and they know what they're doing.

Granted, that's a small-town business that supports farmers and commercial customers including oil field service rigs (think extra-heavy-duty oil field equipment trailers), not your typical big-city tire store.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 06:37 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
If you are able, I'd really recommend putting the trailer on jack stands and taking them in yourself in your pickup.
I agree. That's what I've done every time I've needed tires. Also gives me more options selection and price wise. I also know the lug nuts have been torqued properly when the new tires are put on the rig.

I've noticed that each time I do this task, the tires and wheels seem to be getting heavier and harder to manage. If this is your situation, find some tire shops that carry the tires you want in the yellow pages (remember those?), then look at the locations on Google Earth to get an idea of the size of the business lot. That should narrow your search somewhat. Happy hunting!
Old 11-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Going from a e rated tire to a G

I'm going to change my tires from 235/80/16e to 235/85/16G my rims are rated 110 Max will I need to get a better rim or will this work.
Thanks
clc530 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
If your rims are rated for 110 PSIG, they should work with a load range G tire.

Discount Tire handled a tire change on a previous 5th wheel (Michelin XPS Ribs installed), but I did have to tell the kid to put the jack under the spring pad - he was getting ready to jack under the axle!!

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 03:40 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
I'm also a fan of Discount Tire and their road hazard warranty but I have some friends that have been buying their tires from the local Ford dealer. Ford has a price match policy and offer a road hazard warranty similar to Discount. I don't know if GM or Dodge dealers offer tires or not.
Old 11-11-2013, 06:57 PM   #11

Thor Owners Club
and I look for tires made in the USA
Kro1957 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kro1957 View Post
and I look for tires made in the USA
Which may or may not be a good thing!
Our previous set of Michelins (275/70 22.5's) were made in Spain. Never had a bit of trouble even though they were, with Michelins written permission, run 5 psi LOWER than the tire charts called for. Front tires needed 125 psi for the load, but wheels would only take 120.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:30 PM   #13

Discount Tire handled the installation on my toy hauler just fine. They had me pull in to an area in front of their bays and they looked just like a pit crew in swapping out all six tires. It took all of a half hour. I also obtained a great price on Bridgestone Duravis tires from them as well.
Old 11-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #14

Weigh your RV and then purchase tires to carry 125% or more of that weight. Ignore what the "so called experts" recommend. Most tires on RV's do not have enough carrying capacity.
ralper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement