Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2015, 05:35 AM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
TireMinder TM66 TPMS system

I recently installed this system on our 5th wheel; 2 axles / 4 tires. Installation was very easy and monitoring seemed excellent. However, on our last trip we lost a wheel. Not sure how long we rode on the one wheel, possibly 1-3 miles is our estimate.
We felt a jolt from the trailer similar to cross wind, so that's where we think the wheel left. I was originally surprised that the TPMS system didn't give a NOS (5) error for lost or missing valve stem transmitter.
I spoke to the factory (excellent customer service) and they responded quickly. I spoke to them and was told it could take up to an hour before the monitor logged the missing transmitter. They indicated we could use the auto update mode; that would take up to 20 minutes for the missing transmitter to not register and ensuing NO5 code.
Having re-read the manual, I'm still a little puzzled. Using the manual monitor method where I scroll through the monitored tires I should have gotten a NO5 error when it didn't receive anything from the missing tire. I'm going to follow up with Tireminder for clarification.
Anyone had similar experiences?
Karpcbk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2015, 07:27 AM   #2

Update

So I spoke to TireMinder and the system will only alert when using the manual mode if a transmitter sees a change in the alarm setpoints. IE; pressure setpoint.
If the monitor goes into sleep mode the system will poll all transmitters and then send a error code if it doesn't see a transmitter. The Auto Search mode will allow a 10 minute update if you manually scroll through tire positions or 20 minutes if it doesn't see one of the transmitters.
Old 11-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #3

That does seem odd. How long does it take to alert you to a tire losing pressure?
justafordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 04:24 PM   #4

Evergreen Owners Club
Yes! How long does that take? I don't think that is much of a monitor if it does not alert you immediately. You could run on the flat for 10 or 20 minutes!
schrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 07:26 AM   #5

To be tested

Both questions are valid. According to TM the transmitters update every 6 seconds. If no alerts are seen then the pressure and temperatures on the monitor will update @ 4 minute intervals. So if a alarm / alert condition occurs there should be something on the monitor.
That's is what puzzles me that when manually polling each transmitter, a missing one doesn't show up for a long time frame, non programmable. Seems like they defaulted to this to prevent nuisance signal errors??
Old 11-15-2015, 05:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karpcbk14 View Post
Both questions are valid. According to TM the transmitters update every 6 seconds. If no alerts are seen then the pressure and temperatures on the monitor will update @ 4 minute intervals. So if a alarm / alert condition occurs there should be something on the monitor.
That's is what puzzles me that when manually polling each transmitter, a missing one doesn't show up for a long time frame, non programmable. Seems like they defaulted to this to prevent nuisance signal errors??

We have TST Tire Pressure Monitoring 507 Systems. When a signal is not receiving, it starts screaming. I agree it would not alarm a pressure lost, but it should have screamed that it lost contact.
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2015, 06:31 PM   #7

Evergreen Owners Club
I find it almost worthless if it is only going to alarm when contact is lost. I thought the whole idea of having a monitoring system was to alert you of low pressure...ie no pressure should be deemed low pressure..........For the price, I want it to alert immediately! Jeez, I can buy a good laptop computer for far less than the price they want for this!
Old 11-16-2015, 01:42 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
I find it almost worthless if it is only going to alarm when contact is lost. I thought the whole idea of having a monitoring system was to alert you of low pressure...ie no pressure should be deemed low pressure..........For the price, I want it to alert immediately! Jeez, I can buy a good laptop computer for far less than the price they want for this!
Go check out the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring 507 Systems.

By the way... how did you loose a wheel?
Maverick50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 06:48 AM   #9

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick50 View Post
Go check out the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring 507 Systems.
FYI
I did check out the TST Tire Pressure Monitoring 507 System and found a lack of information regarding a sudden loss of air pressure.
Old 03-17-2016, 07:39 PM   #10

If you buy any other system besides TST, I have to ask why? If enough people told me that the quality and service were the best, over and over again, I think that should be convincing enough. All I can say is you won't regret it. Give Debbie at TST a call at 770-889-9102. These are the friendliest most helpful people you'll ever deal with.

2008 Holiday Rambler PDQ Ambassador 360 ISC
2015 Jeep Rubicon
Blue Ox tow Patriot brake
cdinatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
I wasted my money on the Camping world special TMS-66...
it is worse than nothing... with nothing you only have to worry if a tire goes down...
with the TM system you have that worry, PLUS why is it beeping and I just checked the tires,
why is it beeping for no reason ?

I really, REALLY dislike this system !
Old 03-17-2016, 08:46 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
I wasted my money on the Camping world special TMS-66...
it is worse than nothing... with nothing you only have to worry if a tire goes down...
with the TM system you have that worry, PLUS why is it beeping and I just checked the tires,
why is it beeping for no reason ?

I really, REALLY dislike this system !

Give them a call and explain what's happening. They are very helpful. Even if you have to start plumb over from scratch, they take all the time needed to get you going. Speaking from experience, they really do care that your system works correctly for you.

I too am puzzled by what puzzles the OP. I want an instant alarm if anything goes haywire. Even 4 minute update intervals are too long. Actually there's too many time intervals on things.....6 seconds, 10 minutes......everything should update in real time to be most dependable I say.

Best regards,
W.D.
Electra 225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:59 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdinatl View Post
If you buy any other system besides TST, I have to ask why?
Well, you asked so ... my experience with TST back in 2011 was a disaster. I had 11 failed sensors in 8 months, plus two flat tires on the toad due to sensors coming loose. My vendor wasn't much help, but Dan at TST picked up the slack and provided great customer service. Unfortunately that wasn't enough when the system kept failing us. When DW was afraid to drive the toad for fear of a flat tire, we returned the system. I replaced it about 6 months later with a TireTraker system that has served us very well over the years since.

OP here did not have a "loss of pressure." I'm sure his system would alarm immediately if he had a dropping pressure or "no pressure." I have wondered sometimes if mine is actually monitoring, and found out it is by removing an sensor and getting an immediate alarm. I have however noticed that sometimes when the toad is driven away and the monitor is left behind in the motorhome, it will continue to display the last good reading of the missing wheels. This is true with our TireTraker just as it was also with the TST.

Now I am wondering with ANY wheel mounted sensor (stem or inside), how long would it take for the system to let me know there is no signal being received? ...and if it did, how would I distinguish a missing wheel from a dead battery, etc other than stopping to look??
AFChap is offline   Reply With Quote