Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2016, 10:52 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
I suppose there are a couple of ways to look at what to do when confronted with a decision on replacing failed tires or even accepting the OE size on a new RV.

One option would be to consider what if anything was done by the RV mfg. Since they were the ones responsible for making the initial selection of tires it would seem reasonable that they or the tire mfg if they have dealer network, should be responsible for handling a warranty complaint. Now if they turned down the warranty complaint on the OE tire might that be an indication of the likelihood of them standing behind any replacement tire? Even if the replacement was identical to the OE tire? IMO if the RV company and their selected tire company will not stand behind their selection then why should I be concerned about a theoretical "misapplication" question. In the case of new RV maybe the question to ask the dealer is "What is the length of the tire warranty and what does it cover?" Their answer should be a strong indication of their confidence that the tires they are providing are a quality product. They may have a 2,000 mile 12 month warranty on the RV but some components such as Refrigerator or generator may have a longer warranty and cover any failure of that component so why not a good warranty on tires?

Second option
is to select tires with better load capacity and probably better durability based on being a name brand or having a speed rating and better availability than the OE tire and figure that since the RV company probably isn't going to stand behind their original tire selection or has a tire warranty that is going to expire faster than the sell-by date on a jug of milk. When confronted with a meaningless tire warranty why would you worry about "misapplication". If you have the weight slips and Load/Infl table and run a TPMS and with an increased load capacity for the tire and still not exceeding the GAWR, you have, in my mind, demonstrated more due diligence in selecting a tire than the RV company did in the first place.

FMVSS regulations outline the MINIMUM standards but do not prevent any RV company from selecting tires with more than a 10# margin over the GAWR.

I'll probably show my ignorance on both tires and fifth wheels with this question, but concerning the part that you stated about selecting tires with better load capacity, would it be possible to put a tire on that was better in every way including load capacity that could actually do harm to the axle and/or suspension ( or anything else) of the fifth wheel?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 10:28 AM   #44
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
I'll probably show my ignorance on both tires and fifth wheels with this question, but concerning the part that you stated about selecting tires with better load capacity, would it be possible to put a tire on that was better in every way including load capacity that could actually do harm to the axle and/or suspension ( or anything else) of the fifth wheel?
Lots of things are possible. It could snow in June in Arizona but its not very likely. A better question would be 'Would it be probable or would you expect that placing a "better" tire to do harm to axle and/or suspension?
To the "probable" or "expectation" question, my answer is no. If someone disagrees, I would really be interested in seeing their data that supports the idea that a tire with say 250# more load capacity and 10 mph faster max speed rating would do damage to the rest of the RV.

The only exception might relate to the wheel's max inflation rating vs the inflation the owner used, but in that cast the inflation level is not the "fault" of the tire itself.

Tags
tires