Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #1

tires

mobile scout tires
jcabe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2016, 11:05 AM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
what is it you want to know? please elaborate.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 08:07 PM   #3

I never heard of them, and they'd be something I'd avoid.

Only great quality tires go on my camper--LT/E or G rated ribbed tires.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 06:52 AM   #4

Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
I never heard of them, and they'd be something I'd avoid.

Only great quality tires go on my camper--LT/E or G ratd ribbed tires.
What brand of Lt 235/80/16e
Old 06-24-2016, 09:36 AM   #5

I found a Michelin RV tire site online which are LTs. These are beefy tires. Their outer diameter is much greater than the tires that came with our RV. They also have better sidewall protection and greater tread life. Also, they weigh about 13lbs more than the original tires we had. Done with blowouts hopefully! G rated is the way to go though. Also need to check the date the tire was manufactured to know the exact age of the tires.
fmoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #6

The best LT E tires will be either the Bridgestone R-250 or the Michelin XPS Rib tires.
Both are a commercial grade all steel ply carcass and weigh in the 56-58 lb range.
The R-250 are less costly.

Fabric carcass LT E tires like the;
Firestone Transforce HT...
Goodyear Wrangler HT...
BFG Commercial T/A 2...
Cooper Discoverer HT-3...

All are tops for trailers with 6k axles and smaller.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 05:34 AM   #7

When I replaced my Westlakes with Bridgestone Duravis R250's, I couldn't believe the difference. The R250's sidewalls are 1" thick approx., and the tire was pushing 20 lbs. heavier.

It's hard to believe that the NHTSA has the featherweight ST tires made in China rated substantially heavier than my LT/E tires. I question whether this government agency is looking out for their citizens on the highways trying to exist with boats, RV's and horse trailers with all their junk tires.

After I sold my Westlakes, it cost me $600 for peace of mind.

FYI: Duravis R250's are often used on 1 ton trucks with utility bodies and small cranes. The Costco manager told me he's never seen a tire failure on that tire, and they might get as many as 150K miles on a truck. For a 3/4 ton pickup or one used on the highway they also have a R500 tread pattern that suits most people's needs better than a ribbed tire used on trailers.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 10:17 AM   #8

tires

A question I have wondered, will dealers allow you to upgrade before buying so that you only have to pay the difference instead of " throwing away" the cheap OEM tires? ( or will the tire dealer give you anything for the OEM tires.) Planning on buying a fifth wheel in the future and knew I would replace the cheap China tires soon
Larry Mac01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcabe1 View Post
What brand of Lt 235/80/16e
LT tires are not available in size LT235/80R16E or lower load ranges. So to stick with 16” rims most will have to go with LRG 16” LT tires. You will find “do-it-yourselfers” that will recommend and/or use replacement tires with less load capacity than the OE tires provide but you will have to search high and low (mostly low) to find a reputable tire dealer to do it. It’s against tire industry standards.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 12:09 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
A question I have wondered, will dealers allow you to upgrade before buying so that you only have to pay the difference instead of " throwing away" the cheap OEM tires? ( or will the tire dealer give you anything for the OEM tires.) Planning on buying a fifth wheel in the future and knew I would replace the cheap China tires soon
It’s hard to say what a dealer will do to get a sale. If they have a solid contractual agreement with the trailer manufacturer I doubt they would risk it. Before the papers are signed their hands are pretty much tied to the manufacturers responsibilities. The trailer manufacturer is the one that would have to OK the certification label change.

Some manufacturer’s have models where optional tires are offered.

One must understand the responsibilities of vehicle certification. There are severe monitory penalties that can be imposed on the vehicle manufacturer for safety violations, especially if they trigger a vehicle recall.
Old 07-04-2016, 04:44 PM   #11

tires

just a question, what are the difference between a duravis r250 and marathon goodyear tire? duravis is a 16inch tire and i believe the goodyear are 15,s
outbackmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 02:33 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbackmac View Post
just a question, what are the difference between a duravis r250 and marathon goodyear tire? duravis is a 16inch tire and i believe the goodyear are 15,s
The Bridgestone Duravis is a steel cased tire designed for Light Truck service and has a maximum load capacity of 3042# @ 80 PSI in the 16” size. The GY marathon is a polyester cased tire designed strictly for trailer axle service. A GY size 15” has a maximum load capacity of 2540# @ 65 PSI. From other brand names a 15” can have a load capacity of 2830# @ 80 psi.
Old 07-05-2016, 06:23 AM   #13

Any problems with the GY Marathon tires?
Old 07-05-2016, 07:28 AM   #14

Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamaman View Post
When I replaced my Westlakes with Bridgestone Duravis R250's, I couldn't believe the difference. The R250's sidewalls are 1" thick approx., and the tire was pushing 20 lbs. heavier.

It's hard to believe that the NHTSA has the featherweight ST tires made in China rated substantially heavier than my LT/E tires. I question whether this government agency is looking out for their citizens on the highways trying to exist with boats, RV's and horse trailers with all their junk tires.

After I sold my Westlakes, it cost me $600 for peace of mind.

FYI: Duravis R250's are often used on 1 ton trucks with utility bodies and small cranes. The Costco manager told me he's never seen a tire failure on that tire, and they might get as many as 150K miles on a truck. For a 3/4 ton pickup or one used on the highway they also have a R500 tread pattern that suits most people's needs better than a ribbed tire used on trailers.
Sorry but it isn't the "Big Bad Government" that established load capacity (not weight) of different size & type tires. Either US Tire & Rim Association or European or Asian equivalent are the folks that publish the Load Inflation guide tables. The same size/type tire carries almost identical load in all three standards (Metric vs inch conversion and rounding is major reason the numbers are not identical.)

It is your RV company that is responsible for selecting the tires that go on your RV. They are the ones that demonstrate little interest in providing a margin in either load capacity or long term durability of the product they sell. It appears that they are the ones placing profit over " looking out for their citizens"/customers.

I think you need to ask your RV company that question of why they select the bare minimum that meets the regulations. Cars and trucks come with tires that are engineered for the specific application and only selected after demonstrating significant performance advantages over other tires. IMO the only thing considered in the RV industry is with a few exceptions lowest cost.

Tags
tires