Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2016, 06:04 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishalaska1 View Post
What brand are these again? Mine takes and 235/80R/16 tire, will the 85R work?
The 85 profile tire of the same width and rim size will have a slightly larger diameter than an 80. You need to find the diameters of the tires and make sure you have sufficient clearance. It's not a real big difference but you should still check.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2016, 08:31 PM   #30

Quote:
What brand are these again? Mine takes and 235/80R/16 tire, will the 85R work?
The tires I referenced are very common replacements for the smaller ST235/80R16E trailer tires. The 85s will be a little wider but are not always taller. A lot depends on the rim size and tire tread depth. The GY G614 when mounted on rims sized 16x6.5" will have an overall diameter almost identical to the 80s.

Even the ST235/85R16E rated at 3640# at 80 psi can be a problem because most trailer manufacturers use a standard rim sized 16x6" with a maximum load capacity of 3580# at 80 psi. It's the most suitable rim for all ST235/80R16E tires.

Being a 2014 model trailer keystone may have offered larger optional sized tires. If so they may have also used the optional rim to mount your OE tires to make it easier for the dealer to upgrade to the options. If so your rims may be certified for 3960# at 110 psi but not 6.5" wide. They would be suitable for the ST235/85R16F tires.

You should touch base with Keystone and see if they have any recommendations for tire replacements for your trailer.

FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 08:56 PM   #31

So what is the best radial tire available in 235/80R16 F or G rated that will hold 3500 or more at 80lbs?
Old 10-10-2016, 09:04 AM   #32

Quote:
So what is the best radial tire available in 235/80R16 F or G rated that will hold 3500 or more at 80lbs?
The ST235/80R16E is not manufactured in a LRF.

IMO none of the above sized tires provide enough load capacity for your toy hauler.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:23 PM   #33

Gonna get the Sailuns and switch to 17.5 wheels.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07 PM   #34

Changed to 17.5 rim and tires well worth the money for safety and piece of mine!!
Old 12-01-2016, 09:38 PM   #35

Regarding tires, my Forest River 5th Wheel came equipped with Goodyear Marathon tires. I have had two of them fail on the insidewall, one seriously damaging the camper the other just blowing out the side of the tire. I am looking to replace these 10 ply rated with a heavier tire. Gladiator 14 ply and Trailer King all steel have been suggested. Rims are rated to 110 psi, 16" - any experience or suggestions regarding these brands or preference of one over the other?
Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by jherigon View Post
Regarding tires, my Forest River 5th Wheel came equipped with Goodyear Marathon tires. I have had two of them fail on the insidewall, one seriously damaging the camper the other just blowing out the side of the tire. I am looking to replace these 10 ply rated with a heavier tire. Gladiator 14 ply and Trailer King all steel have been suggested. Rims are rated to 110 psi, 16" - any experience or suggestions regarding these brands or preference of one over the other?
As I posted earlier, all of the steel cased 16" LRG tires require a 6.5" wide rim.
Old Yesterday, 05:04 PM   #37

I could not be more pleased with my Toyo tires! They are on our Alpine Fifthwheel. They have approximately 50,000 plus miles on them and still look more new than used!

TOYO 235/75R-17.5/16 J rated 125lb

Mind you that J rating is a 62 mph tire, but no worries as we are retired and have no where to be anytime fast! So yes, next purchase will obviously be Toyo.

Tags
tires