Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #1

Tires

I have a tire problem. Keep blowing out the Goodyear Marathon from CHINA tires and have been in contact with Goodyear. They are willing to fix my fifth wheel and change out my tires. Have to pay for the difference though. I am going to upgrade them to a Goodyear G614 RST and need to find out if my rims will take the extra weight. The rims that are on the RV states max load 3042 pounds and the new tires are rated at max load of 3750. Do I have to get new rims also for these new tires. Also does anyone know if these new tires are holding up. I have had 2 blow outs in less that 3 months and also damage to my RV.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
From the Goodyear G614 website:

Quote:
*This tire requires a special high load capacity wheel and high pressure tire valve. Consult wheel manufacturer for proper application.
If you're going to spend the money to purchase new tires and wheels, I'd strongly suggest looking at a 17.5" tire and wheel package from vendors such as Trailer Tires and Wheels. Our 5th wheel (see signature) came OEM equipped with the Goodyear G614 RST tires, and after 2 tread separations (yes, Goodyear replaced all 4 tires and paid to repair the damages), the replacement tires were coming up on 3 years old - the age when we had the 2 tread separations within 3 months of each other. Therefore, I faced the dilemma of laying out the money for tires that I had no confidence in, or laying out some extra for much more capable tires. By the way, our experience with the G614s was not unique - try a Google search on Goodyear G614 tire failures.

We have a little more than $2,500 (mounted, balanced and shipped) invested in 5 new 17.5 inch aluminum wheels, lug nuts, center caps and Michelin XTA 215/75R-17.5 trailer-specific all steel construction radials with a Load Range J rating (4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG). These tires are being supplied on a number of heavy, full-timer 5th wheels by the OEMs as either standard or optional equipment. They will fit where the G614s will since the 215/75R-17.5 XTA has a diameter of only 30.7 inches. I now have much more safety margin in the load carrying capability of these tires than I did with the 3750 lb @ 110 PSIG Goodyear G614s.

Trailer Tires and Wheels can also supply other 17.5 inch tires in their packages such as the Goodyear G114. We went with the Michelins based on their reputation among those of us who have replaced their G614s and the flawless service Michelin XPS Ribs delivered on our previous 5th wheel and because we had experienced tread separations with both Goodyear Marathons and the G614s.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I forgot to mention - if your 5th wheel came equipped with LT235/85R-16 Load Range E tires (3042 lbs @ 80 PSIG) as is inferred by the wheel rating, a less expensive tire solution would be the Michelin XPS Rib. These are commercial-grade, all-steel construction radials that have been a real problem solver where a Load Range E tire will suffice. These would not require replacement of your existing wheels.

Rusty
Old 10-29-2010, 12:44 PM   #4

RustyJC

I am also interested in your solution with the Michelin 215/75R17.5 LRJ tire/wheel setup.

I noticed that the tires have a speed rating rating of only 62MPH, doesn't that seem a little low?

Richard
1998 Hitchhiker ll, mod#31RLBGBW, RBW L'tl Rocker Hitch, Generac NP50 G generator
richardcoxid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 01:05 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If it bothers you, I'd go with another tire such as the Goodyear G114. As far as my decision-making process was concerned, I've searched for any reports of speed-related failures of the XTAs and have found none. I also found an interesting treatise by Bridgestone regarding their 65 MPH rated commercial truck and trailer tires that said if they were going to be operated between 66 and 70 MPH, maximum load must be reduced by 4% and between 71 and 75 MPH, maximum load must be reduced by 12%. To me, this bears out my assumptions regarding the following correlation between load and speed.

The XTAs are rated to carry the full 4805 lbs load rating at 62 MPH (note that this is a European tire and 62 MPH equals the European 100 kilometers per hour truck speed limit). I'm only running at about 65% to 66% of the tire's rated load, so it doesn't bother me to cruise at 65 MPH or even run up to 70 MPH if traffic conditions require it. I've done this going across Texas and New Mexico in 100 degF ambient temperatures, and I can still lay my hand across the tread of the tire comfortably when we pull off the Interstate. Other XTA users that I've discussed this with run about the same speeds, and none have had a speed or temperature related failure.

As I said, I believe that as lightly loaded as I'm running the XTAs, speeds of 65 to 70 MPH are not overstressing them, and my experience (as well as that of others) to date bears this out. Remember, 5th wheel OEMs are using the XTA as standard equipment or as an uprate option on their heavier 5th wheels, and I'm sure that the vast majority of these OEM-supplied tires see speeds above 62 MPH.

Again, if you feel uncomfortable running them at or above 62 MPH, then other 17.5 inch tires are available with higher speed ratings.

Rusty
Old 10-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #6

Yes! the GY's they are suggesting are probably rated at 110PSI and your existing wheels are rated of 80PSI. So, IMHO your choices are, upgrade wheels, get a different brand tire, or do what lots of people are doing, get rid of the garbage and go to a 17.5 inch tire wheel package and get a true commercial trailer tire.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 10:35 PM   #7

Look at the inside web of your rims. The pressure rating should be cast into aluminum rims, steel rims may have this rating stamped inside the rim proper. Mine say 100 psi rated, this is adequate (I inflate to 100psi) for my new
SAILUN RADIAL TRAILER CLSD SH Sailun 235/85R16, LR G, all-position tires with a speed rating of 75 MPH. They are made by Sigma Tire to directly compete with Goodyear G614 at about half the cost. I only have about 700 miles on mine to date, but they give our 40' 5er a very smooth ride.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:16 PM   #8

I have the same tire/wheel package as Rusty has, and got them from the same source www.trailertiresandwheels.com I only did the 4 on the ground, so got by for under $2000. This is the 3rd summer to have the tires and you would have to see a new tire to notice any wear--over 15000 miles so far, no problems. I also feel the same as Rusty on the confidence factor, and...I don't limit my speeds to 62 by any measure. I also now have the TST pressure/temp monitors and they always show even pressure buildup. I run them at 120psi, but don't have to check them now with the monitors.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #9

GOODYEAR LT235/85R16 LRG RST G614 Radial Trailer Tire
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobramustang View Post
I have a tire problem. Keep blowing out the Goodyear Marathon from CHINA tires and have been in contact with Goodyear. They are willing to fix my fifth wheel and change out my tires. Have to pay for the difference though. I am going to upgrade them to a Goodyear G614 RST and need to find out if my rims will take the extra weight. The rims that are on the RV states max load 3042 pounds and the new tires are rated at max load of 3750. Do I have to get new rims also for these new tires. Also does anyone know if these new tires are holding up. I have had 2 blow outs in less that 3 months and also damage to my RV.
From the information you have provided above I presume you’re talking about the GY Marathon in size ST235/80R16E as the upgraded aluminum wheels they normally come on are marked like yours and are good to 80 psi maximum pressure.

The G614 tires LT235/85516G and upgraded wheels/rims are an excellent choice for the 6000# axles and should serve you well. There is little difference in the overall dimensions. Both are viewable in the references provided.

GOODYEAR LT235/85R16 LRG RST G614 Radial Trailer Tire
On The Wings of Goodyear | RV Tires - Tire Selection - Marathon®

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote