Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-16-2018, 12:58 AM   #1

Tires......again.

My situation has a twist most don't. Trailer has duals. (Eight tires) The sticker recommends LT 235/85R16-E. GVWR is 18450. Max Pin weight Approx. 2855. I bought it used and it has G rated tires now. But, after reading up on this and doing the math, I think the E rated tires may be plenty good in the dual configuration. Trailer is a Newmar so maybe they don't cheap out with barely adequate tires on their trailers. It came out with Goodyears.

I did this: 18450 - 2855 = 15595/2 = 7798/4 = 1950 per tire. Max load at 80 psi in dual configuration is 2778. (for E rated tire) That's 828 lbs over what I'll have if I'm maxed out on weight. Am I on the right track?
mike5511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike5511 View Post
My situation has a twist most don't. Trailer has duals. (Eight tires) The sticker recommends LT 235/85R16-E. GVWR is 18450. Max Pin weight Approx. 2855. I bought it used and it has G rated tires now. But, after reading up on this and doing the math, I think the E rated tires may be plenty good in the dual configuration. Trailer is a Newmar so maybe they don't cheap out with barely adequate tires on their trailers. It came out with Goodyears.

I did this: 18450 - 2855 = 15595/2 = 7798/4 = 1950 per tire. Max load at 80 psi in dual configuration is 2778. (for E rated tire) That's 828 lbs over what I'll have if I'm maxed out on weight. Am I on the right track?
Some people needlessly go up a tire rating or 2 thinking they are safer. You may be in that situation. Higher rated tires than specified will likely result in a rougher ride back there. Under inflating to get to the weight can result in flexing and overheating.
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 12:46 PM   #3

The Gs were on it when I bought it, but I'm thinking Es, as the sticker says, when I buy new ones. Contrary to what comes out on most new trailers, Es appear to be appropriate for my set up. At least 800 pounds under the limits should be enough I'd think. And that's if I'm at max weight. Now I based all this on what I understand and think I know........I could be mistaken???
Old 10-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #4

The "G" rated tires hold up better when turning with the tandems. I've seen inners break beads on the inner tire. Those newmar with the dual tandem were the only RV manufacturer to ever do it.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolenut View Post
The "G" rated tires hold up better when turning with the tandems. I've seen inners break beads on the inner tire. Those newmar with the dual tandem were the only RV manufacturer to ever do it.
I find it curious they recommend the LT tires instead of the stiffer sidewall ST tires too. I would like to know the reasoning behind that.
Old 10-16-2018, 02:00 PM   #6

If it has G rated tires on it I would stay with G's. You could run them a little softer if you wanted to. If a tire flys apart for whatever reason it makes a terrible and generally expensive mess. The price difference between E and G can't be much savings. JMHO.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Am I on the right track?

RV trailer tires are fitted to the vehicle certified GAWRs. What are yours?

The bottom line, the OE tires must provide a load capacity equal to the GAWR they are fitted to. Everything else is considered load capacity reserves. RVIA recommends 10% above axle ratings in reserve load capacity. Personally I'm more comfortable with 12-15%.

GVWR is never a factor unless you're constantly traveling overweight.

With a dual tire configuration, the OE tire size is going to be highly recommended because it was already an acceptable fit by the vehicle manufacturer. Tires with a history of usage in a dual configuration would be most desirable. There are a lot of them. Look at Chevy, Dodge or Ford.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 07:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Dual application is 2780 lbs per tire X 8 tires = 22240 lb total.
I kept LT235/85-16 E on both 20k GN triaxle flatdeck trailers....they were OEM anyway thankfully.. I've ran tandem dual axle trailers for hundreds of thousands of miles and never broke a bead nor has other haulers heard of a LT E breaking beads in tandem dual application.
Most commercial trailers come OEM with LT E vs ST E mostly because they will run for 50k + miles of service. ST E simply don't have enough tread depth to last that many miles in this kind of work.

Check out Bridgestone R-250 or the newer R-238 LT E commercial grade all steel ply carcass.
As always on a trailer keep them pumped to the max for max load carrying performance and max long term reliability. The tow truck will appreciate that trailer with 8 tires at max pressures also.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 01:41 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
RV trailer tires are fitted to the vehicle certified GAWRs. What are yours?

The bottom line, the OE tires must provide a load capacity equal to the GAWR they are fitted to. Everything else is considered load capacity reserves. RVIA recommends 10% above axle ratings in reserve load capacity. Personally I'm more comfortable with 12-15%.

GVWR is never a factor unless you're constantly traveling overweight.

With a dual tire configuration, the OE tire size is going to be highly recommended because it was already an acceptable fit by the vehicle manufacturer. Tires with a history of usage in a dual configuration would be most desirable. There are a lot of them. Look at Chevy, Dodge or Ford.
Axles are 9000 lbs 9000/4 = 2250 + 10% = 2475; which is under the E tire rating. So you are saying the E in the dual configuration are okay if I understand this correctly?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
Dual application is 2780 lbs per tire X 8 tires = 22240 lb total.
I kept LT235/85-16 E on both 20k GN triaxle flatdeck trailers....they were OEM anyway thankfully.. I've ran tandem dual axle trailers for hundreds of thousands of miles and never broke a bead nor has other haulers heard of a LT E breaking beads in tandem dual application.
Most commercial trailers come OEM with LT E vs ST E mostly because they will run for 50k + miles of service. ST E simply don't have enough tread depth to last that many miles in this kind of work.

Check out Bridgestone R-250 or the newer R-238 LT E commercial grade all steel ply carcass.
As always on a trailer keep them pumped to the max for max load carrying performance and max long term reliability. The tow truck will appreciate that trailer with 8 tires at max pressures also.
Thanks for that information and advice! We are not full time, so I figure my tires will time out before they wear out. However, I figure the manufacture recommends the LTs for a reason. Maybe it is because they will last longer?
Old 10-17-2018, 05:31 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Go with what the manufacturer recommends at a minimum. Using higher ratings won't make any difference if they are abused but do contribute to piece of mind. If you are comfortable with the E rating then go with it. If you will constantly wonder if it was a good idea or not then don't.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 08:06 AM   #12

Have you looked at Sailun tires? They were primarily used on big rig trailers. 14 ply side walls.
2004 Montana 2955RL, 400 watt solar, 2000 watt inverter/charger, 4-Interstate 225AH 6volt golf cart batteries, All LED lights,Champion Remote start 3- fuel option 3100/3400 inverter/gen.- 2000 F-350 7.3 4x4 long bed crew cab SRW.
weredoingit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by weredoingit View Post
Have you looked at Sailun tires? They were primarily used on big rig trailers. 14 ply side walls.
Yes I have. But, right now I'm just trying to figure out which load rating I need. E tires do not appear to be borderline for my trailer, but well able to handle the load and then some. So, would I gain anything by putting Gs on it?

Then there are those who say run a tire at it's max rated cold pressure because that helps reduce heat. Makes sense and I absolutely would with the E tire, 80 psi. But, if I go to G tires with the 110 psi recommended cold pressure, I can run less than 110 psi because I really have more tire than I need to start with. Seems to me though if you are going to put more tire than you need, you won't be taking advantage of that if you run less air in them???
Old 10-17-2018, 06:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Yes I have. But, right now I'm just trying to figure out which load rating I need. E tires do not appear to be borderline for my trailer, but well able to handle the load and then some. So, would I gain anything by putting Gs on it?

Then there are those who say run a tire at it's max rated cold pressure because that helps reduce heat. Makes sense and I absolutely would with the E tire, 80 psi. But, if I go to G tires with the 110 psi recommended cold pressure, I can run less than 110 psi because I really have more tire than I need to start with. Seems to me though if you are going to put more tire than you need, you won't be taking advantage of that if you run less air in them???

My 5er came with tires that were IMO under rated. I went with LR G rated Sailun's. I was a lot like you--I didn't need LR G 110 PSI but wanted them for peace of mind so I got five new tires and wheels. When discussing LR G's and pressure with the dealer I got them from I was told that they will get hot if they are not ran at the recommended 110 PSI cold. I've never felt these tires ride harsh but my 5er has shocks and rides like a dream.

2005 Jayco Designer 31RKS
5001craig is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires