Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-31-2013, 08:26 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,082
Bridgestone has a multitude of LT235/85-16 E tire line/tread types at 3042 lbs capacity.

Their Duravis R-250 and the M895 tire is a commercial grade all steel ply carcass that is tops for using on a trailer with 5.2 or 6k axles.
Both are very popular with trailer users of all types (RVs included) and are lower in price then the Michelin XPS Rib tires.
__________________

__________________
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
n5pht's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 412
Blog Entries: 1
I had the China Bombs and a tire blow out shortly after purchase. I opted for BFG LT 235/85R and they seem fine. There were very slightly larger but fit fine on my Montana HC.
__________________

__________________
Gary and Karen Stone - stick home in Texas
LCMS Church - 2014 Minnie Winnie 31KP, 2014 Jeep Gary is N5PHT, Ham Op, Retired from Fed Gov
n5pht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 11:08 AM   #17
Senior Member
 
islander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Port St. John FL.
Posts: 326
Tires for 5th wheel

Thanks for all the information I had Michelin LT235/85R16 installed today to replace the ST235/80R16 Chinese Bombs gives me piece of mine going down the highway now.5th Wheel in the shop now getting all the damage repaired from the blow out.
__________________
Jim and Carolyn
2011 Ford F-250 Lariat Diesel 4X4
2012 Montana High Country 313RE
islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 11:12 AM   #18
Senior Member
 
FastEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by islander View Post
Thanks for all the information I had Michelin LT235/85R16 installed today to replace the ST235/80R16 Chinese Bombs gives me piece of mine going down the highway now.5th Wheel in the shop now getting all the damage repaired from the blow out.


I'm often perceived as the bad guy when I post this information. Many think I don't support Michelin tires. I live just 10 miles from Michelin of North America and have many friends that work for them. I've always used Michelin tires when the fitment is proper. They are durable tires with a great reputation for long life. However, Improper fitments and misapplications of any tire is going to cause warranty coverage's to be voided. So, read the attached reference carefully.

If you call or email Michelin and tell them you replaced Original Equipment ST tires with any of their LT tires they are going to tell you that's a misapplication of their LT tires. Some may say that's a loaded question. Is the question the truth?

http://www.michelinman.com/mediabin/...omise_Plan.pdf

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #19
Senior Member
 
Bill Davey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Oswego, NY
Posts: 120
I paid extra to have GoodYear Marathons on my new 2103 KZ Stoneridge Sportster because I didn't want the OE Chinese tires. Guess what..... the GoodYears are made in CHINA!
__________________
Central New York; 2016 Rockwood 2604WS travel trailer
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Eco Diesel; 2002 Harley Heritage Classic
Bill Davey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:27 PM   #20
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
My 5er came with Marathons. They are now scattered in CA, AZ, NM, and TX.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 1,082
The clicky from FastEagle says nothing about tires on a trailer.

Michelin or Any LT manufacturer will tell us they can't recommend there LT E at 3042 lbs capacity to replace a ST E at 3500 lbs capacity hence a loaded question.

What Michelin and other LT tire makers have told us is their LT E at 3042 lbs capacity will work on trailers with 6k axle and smaller and we get a full warranty with their blessing.

Email from Michelin; straight from the horses mouth;
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.
Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minute.
__________________
'03 Dodge 2500 Cummins HO 3.73 NV5600 Jacobs
'98 3500 DRW 454 4x4 4.10 crew cab
'97 Park Avanue RK 28' 2 slides
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
Registered User
 
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Farmington NM
Posts: 1,822
The GY G614 RST is designed for trailer application and GY has warrented failers and even paid for damages caused by failures in some instances. This tire is made in the USA. It ia G rated tire, higher then the E rated Mchelin.
__________________
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 08:38 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
The GY G614 RST is designed for trailer application and GY has warrented failers and even paid for damages caused by failures in some instances. This tire is made in the USA. It ia G rated tire, higher then the E rated Mchelin.
Ummmm, yeah, I had two (2) tread separation failures with the G614s within a 3 month period. I look at it this way: Do I want a tire whose manufacturer pays to repair my 5th wheel after the tires fail with minimum problem, or do I want a tire that doesn't fail to begin with? After absolutely trouble-free service with the Michelin XPS ribs on a previous 5th wheel, I got rid of the G614s and went with 17.5" wheels with Michelin XTAs. The tire ratings went from 3750 lbs @ 110 PSIG with the G614s to 4805 lbs @ 120 PSIG with the XTAs. After 3 years, no problems whatsoever with the Michelin XTAs, and that includes towing from Houston to Arizona in July, towing across West Texas in 105 degF weather, etc.

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:49 AM   #24
Registered User
 
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Farmington NM
Posts: 1,822
The 17.5" XTA's are a great tire. The OP was asking about 16". Of the available 16" out there the GY G614 has a great weight rating for his fitment. Im on my second set with flawless performance on the first set.
__________________
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 12:09 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
 
RustyJC's Avatar


 
Texas Boomers Club
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Cypress, Texas USA
Posts: 8,854
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Im on my second set with flawless performance on the first set.
Maybe they finally got it right. After $2500 damage to my 5th wheel (paid for by Goodyear) following the 2nd failure, I wasn't up for the gamble of continuing to run them. There were no acceptable 16" alternatives to the G614s (thus the relevance to the OP's question), so I bit the bullet and went to the 17.5s. The 215/75R-17.5 XTAs are about 1/2" shorter in diameter than the LT235/85R-16G G614s, so the XTAs will fit wherever the G614s will fit.

Rusty
__________________
2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 02:39 AM   #26
Junior Member
 
VoltageGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottybdivin View Post
Same here. Get rid of the ST's. Most 16" axles have a 33" CTC spacing. The XPS Ribs will be close but they will work. I have 8K on mine and rarely have to add air in them.
You suggest getting rid of the ST tires and going with LT tires. I know there's a debate over ST v LT. Would you mind sharing the make of your tires and why you say to get rid of ST tires?

I may have to replace mine, and am looking for something that's going to last. I have a Voltage 3950 triple axle. Tires need to be stout. Maybe this should be in a different forum. I don't know. But thanks.
__________________
2013 Voltage 3950
2011 Ford F350 Super Duty DRW
Blog about the Voltage: MyVoltageRV.com
VoltageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #27
Senior Member
 
Dunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Phx, Arid~zona
Posts: 11,106
I will share my experience with ST tires. I had a 2 axle, Nomad 33' toy-hauler. Per axle weight was within limit front to rear and side to side was very close. Seemed like i was shredding/separating a trailer almost every trip.

I tried several brands. Marathon, Titan II, Deman, and Towmasters. They all failed with less than 1000 miles per tire, and it was random. Never the same tire. Always drove 60-62 between Oct-Arp. Mostly on 4 lane freeways. Whenever I had to make a U turn, I made sure I was on gravel or a very wide turn on pavement. I checked or set my pressures to spec before every strip.

Myself and friends switched to Yokohama LT 215/85-R16 tires and never had another problem since. You will need trial fit for clearance, but they should work. Just stay away from ST Tires. The name brand or model means nothing. No mater where they are made. At the 10720 rating for all 4 tiers, I had a 1460 lb margin of safety.

I'm not going to suggest Michelins tire. They did enough damage on my truck........twice. I've almost wore out the Goodyear Silent Armor ones on my 2500 Ram. Keep throwing money at Michelin, and they will hire more and more people to tell your tires were "Run Flat.
__________________
2004 32' National Sea Breeze 1311 Class A on a F-53 Chassis, CHF, TST TPMS, 5Star Tune.
If Dunner (RVM23) can't fix it, it ain't broke!
Cheap Handling Fix Poll. Click Here to vote?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #28
Senior Member
 
FastEagle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 819
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
The clicky from FastEagle says nothing about tires on a trailer.

Michelin or Any LT manufacturer will tell us they can't recommend there LT E at 3042 lbs capacity to replace a ST E at 3500 lbs capacity hence a loaded question.

What Michelin and other LT tire makers have told us is their LT E at 3042 lbs capacity will work on trailers with 6k axle and smaller and we get a full warranty with their blessing.

Email from Michelin; straight from the horses mouth;
Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.
Due to recent high email volume and some technical issues that we have experienced, please accept our apology for the delay in this response. Your interest in Michelin is certainly appreciated.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
I have a 2006 Montana 5th wheel Trailer that has two 6,000 lb Dexter axles and 4 deluxe aluminum Rims each rated at 3,042 lbs. I would like to install your Michelin XPS® Rib™ LT235/85 R16/E's on this 5th wheel. Will the tires be fully waranteed in this application?
---------------------------------------------------------------------
We appreciate your request for information regarding the Michelin XPS Rib. The XPS Rib, size LT235/85R16/E, part number 13080 would be a good fitment for your 5th wheel. The tire carries 3042Lbs at 80-psi max pressure. For best pressure recommendation, run at maximum pressure until you can weigh your axles either call or reply to this email for a pressure recommendation.
It is a good application, so there are no warranty issues. Your tires are covered under applicable warranty.
We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin.

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00AM and 8:00PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday or between 8:30AM and 4:30PM Eastern Time on Saturday.

Sincerely,

Diana
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert

PS: It's important that you get all the safety-related materials that come with the purchase of new Michelin passenger and light truck tires. If you did not receive a warranty book, you can download one at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. If you did not register your tires, please take a moment to do so at Michelin Corporate | Tires, Motorsport, Finance, Careers, Travel & News. Registering your tires is easy and takes just a minute.
I wonder if they read their own warranty?

What is not covered:

"Use of MICHELIN tires that is inconsistent with the safety and/or maintenance information provided in your owner’s manual."

FastEagle

On edit:

Verbatim, 2013 Keystone owner's manual:

"To maintain tire safety, purchase new tires that are the same size as the vehicle’s original tires or another size recommended by the manufacturer."

__________________

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
5th wheel, tires



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.