Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #29

Forest River Owners Club
While I agree that ALL ST tires are sub par, I wonder if many issues with them and their replacements could be avoided with this: Correct Track

I honestly think that many failures could be avoided by checking axle alignment. Rusty going through two Goodyear 614's is either a huge coincidence or a sign of another problem. Having to upgrade to 17.5's seems to be masking a larger issue. However, having to upgrade from ST's is just common sense...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2013, 06:55 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Oh, there are MANY of us who went through multiple G614s. Goodyear replaced the tire, no questions asked, after the first failure (no damage to the RV). Goodyear replaced ALL the tires and paid to repair the damage after the second failure, again no questions asked. They admitted that my tires had issues and promised that the replacements would be better.

I was far from being the only one with this experience - it was commonplace among many of us MS, Excel and other heavy 5th wheel owners; that's why the various manufacturers made the 17.5" tires available for these 5th wheels. Just Google "Goodyear G614 failures" and see for yourself.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 07:05 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
If I had run the tires misaligned, underinflated or overloaded, Goodyear wouldn't have replaced them, paid for the damage and admitted that my 614s were defective.

Rusty
Old 08-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #32

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If I had run the tires misaligned, underinflated or overloaded, Goodyear wouldn't have replaced them, paid for the damage and admitted that my 614s were defective.

Rusty
Actually, GY would have no idea if you were slightly out of alignment. It would never show in the tread, only cause the failure. But never having your alignment checked, you have no idea if you are or aren't. There are so many variables to a tire failure, there is NO WAY a manufacturer could tell why 99% of the time and it's cheaper to just warranty it out than to investigate.
Old 08-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #33
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The replacements ran 3 years with no problems. The originals failed at 2 years 11 months in service and 3 years 2 months in service. The 17.5" Michelins have run over 3 years with no problems.

Rusty
Old 08-25-2013, 08:02 PM   #34

Goodyear has a history of tire issues when used on a trailer.

First it was the Wranglers HT that came OEM on RV trailers in the late'90s/ early '00 time frame. They improved the Wrangler and now they have a very good service record in a trailer position.

Next was the Marathon. Most folks know about the Marathons as they had serious issues. Finally in the '03/'05 era ? they were also redone and came with a circled S imprinted in the sidewall. Now they would last 8k-10k instead of the 3k-5k on the older tires.

Sometime in the '08/'09 year Goodyear advertised their improved G614. Now if they indeed were improved we should see fewer reports of failed G614. Of the failed G614 I've noticed the last year or so have been on the 5-6 year old tires. Time and miles will tell if the G614 are indeed improved.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 08:09 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by taken View Post
While I agree that ALL ST tires are sub par, I wonder if many issues with them and their replacements could be avoided with this: Correct Track

I honestly think that many failures could be avoided by checking axle alignment. Rusty going through two Goodyear 614's is either a huge coincidence or a sign of another problem. Having to upgrade to 17.5's seems to be masking a larger issue. However, having to upgrade from ST's is just common sense...
looking at the different trailering websites shows one important factor.

Once a quality LT tire was installed on the same trailer, with no mods, ST type tire issues were all but eliminated or eliminated completely.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tires