Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 02:51 PM   #71

I run Sailons and they are excellent tires.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 06:47 PM   #72

ST tires

Had Power King 235 80 r16 E and I will never buy them again. Had 3 of 5 tires fail in a couple of years with low mileage. Always covered, always checked for pressure and lugs always torqued. I purchased 4 Maxxis. Too early to tell.

Old 07-09-2015, 08:51 PM   #73

Been saying this for 14 years. Ran ST tires for 4 years on previous unit and every tires blew within 2 years. Got mad and installed LT tires rated for 20% less load and increased the air pressure by 20%. End of my tire problem for the next 7 years. Traded the unit with the same 7 years old tires.
Next unit that we now owned for 7 years has Chinese tires load Range G LT tires that are dated 8 years old and over 50k miles on them. I have no worries about these tires and will possibly change one at a time with Sailun that are LT rated properly for my 7K axles.
From experience I have to repeat that the heavy tires will outlast any ST tires.
The road safety do not care about trailer tires as they are not a safety concern. They are to busy researching the cause of all the SUVs that are overturned a!ong the side of the highways.
On my trip North last spring I observed all the Fords that had roled over with all the baggage spread along the ditch.
Old 07-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #74

What do you think about these?

TreadDepot.com: Cooper Discoverer H/T Tires Black Wall (LT245/75 R16 120Q) 90000002918

Are Cooper tires still made in the USA?
Old 07-10-2015, 02:04 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boogie_ View Post

TreadDepot.com: Cooper Discoverer H/T Tires Black Wall (LT245/75 R16 120Q) 90000002918

That probably depends on design and brand.

The minimum rim width for that sized tire is 6 & 1/2".

When asking a retailer about it they might say it will work. They sell tires. So send Cooper Tires an email and see what they say.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 03:44 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Been saying this for 14 years. Ran ST tires for 4 years on previous unit and every tires blew within 2 years. Got mad and installed LT tires rated for 20% less load and increased the air pressure by 20%. End of my tire problem for the next 7 years. Traded the unit with the same 7 years old tires.
Next unit that we now owned for 7 years has Chinese tires load Range G LT tires that are dated 8 years old and over 50k miles on them. I have no worries about these tires and will possibly change one at a time with Sailun that are LT rated properly for my 7K axles.
From experience I have to repeat that the heavy tires will outlast any ST tires.
The road safety do not care about trailer tires as they are not a safety concern. They are to busy researching the cause of all the SUVs that are overturned a!ong the side of the highways.
On my trip North last spring I observed all the Fords that had roled over with all the baggage spread along the ditch.
Excellent real world experience from a Rv'er that has tried both type of tires, and has the results to actually comment on this matter factually. Thx!
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 06:07 PM   #77
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesar View Post
Had Power King 235 80 r16 E and I will never buy them again. Had 3 of 5 tires fail in a couple of years with low mileage. Always covered, always checked for pressure and lugs always torqued. I purchased 4 Maxxis. Too early to tell.
You do realize that "Power King" is a large private brand company that buys tires from a number of different tire plants and just has their name-plate put on the mold. If it is your belief that the tire plant location is the main contributor of tire failures then unless you recorded the info for the specific plant that made the tires you had, you might end up changing the name on the side of the tire but end up with the same product.
Also note that Power King sells the Sailun S673 ST & LT 235/85R16 LR-G that is getting high praise.
Old 07-10-2015, 08:31 PM   #78

Quote:

My LT235/85-16 E HT-3 are made in the USA.
The LT245-75-16 E is one of the more popular sizes and works fine on 6 or 6.5 trailer wheels.

At one time Cooper recommended their commercial service LT E SRM II tires for trailer service which are now discontinued. Having used them with no issues I ran a email to Cooper ;

Email to to Cooper Tire;
I used several sets of SRM II LT235/85-16 E on my trailers after Cooper tech folks recommended them with great success. One triaxle trailer is due for new tires before winter but I don't see the the SRM II on your web. Question is which one of your highway tread LT235/85-16 E tires do you recommend for using on trailers now ?/ Thanks..... Jim

answer;
Cook, Les B. (LBCOOK@coopertire.com) Add to contacts 7:40 AM
LBCOOK@coopertire.com
Jim, the replacement for the SRM II tire is the Discoverer HT3 tire. This is an excellent tire for your trailer application. Thanks, Les

Check out the LT E in the HT 3 Cooper recommends for trailer use http://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/ht3/
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2015, 10:52 PM   #79

Quote:
I’m going to go back to this and use the reference JIMNLIN posted. It clearly shows the Minimum rim width for LT245/75R16E as 6 & ”.
No where in that reference is their any wording that would lead the reader to suppose it a trailer tire or recommended trailer tire.

I hate the he said, she said stuff and I’m going to leave this particular discussion alone henceforth.

http://www.coopertires.com.au/our-range/ht3/

It's an Australian link.....?
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 01:49 PM   #80

Quote:
I’m going to go back to this and use the reference JIMNLIN posted. It clearly shows the Minimum rim width for LT245/75R16E as 6 & ”.
No where in that reference is their any wording that would lead the reader to suppose it a trailer tire or recommended trailer tire.
Nice try Calvin. There is no conspiracy.

The email was to show that Cooper now recommends the HT 3 LT E tire for trailer service since the SRM II LT E have been discontinued.

The clicky was the first Cooper add that came from a google and was simply to show what the HT 3 looks like.

However just noticed the clicky does say the HT 3 can be used on a caravan ie;...... which is a trailer in down under/Europe lingo.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:11 AM   #81

Thanks for the link JIM.

Ordered some 16" wheel yesterday.
Will probably go with a set of Coopers.

I don't see much difference between the HT and the HT3.
Other than the HT3 looks like a rib tire and their speed rating, Q & R.

B
Old 07-12-2015, 07:55 PM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
You do realize that "Power King" is a large private brand company that buys tires from a number of different tire plants and just has their name-plate put on the mold. If it is your belief that the tire plant location is the main contributor of tire failures then unless you recorded the info for the specific plant that made the tires you had, you might end up changing the name on the side of the tire but end up with the same product.
Also note that Power King sells the Sailun S673 ST & LT 235/85R16 LR-G that is getting high praise.
I agree that "Power King" is using various plants in China to "private label" tires. Likely those private label tires are exactly the same tire with different brands on it - which helps make things hard to track as a consumer.

In particular, I asked about the difference between "Trailer King" and other brands of tires, the importer kept referring me to specs that were largely marketing-speak. Technical specs were nearly identical with other tires. Tread pattern - identical. I asked the manufacturer - no response.

The Sailuns ARE sold by Power King.. They're also sold by other retailers (SimpleTire installed mine). At 61 lbs per tire, they are no where near Power King / Trailer King specs...
Old 07-13-2015, 08:58 AM   #83

The whole mantra of ST tires, "must be inflated to maximum pressure" is a pain in the ass. I tried. Given the way psi fluctuates with temperature, I felt like I needed to adjust tire psi every morning. Add in the normal deviations of tire pressure guages, and it felt like a lot of work that still led to failure (blown tires). The concept that the tires must be at maximum pressure to carry any load seems to be a tire manfacture's way to dodge responsibility for making cheap tires. Small wonder that when I complained to the tire manafacture's rep, one of their responses was that your tires were under-inflated.

Since I switched to LT tires with a higher rating, and added a TPMS systems, my morinings before getting on the road are a lot less sweaty. Initially I inflated the tires to 100 pounds at 85. In real life, I am comfortable starting on the road with a tire pressure range from 90 - 105 psi - the air compressor has not been out of the tool bin since the switch. Actual psi when running on the road is between 100 - 120 psi, depending on the actual outside temps. My alarms on my TPMS are set at 85psi low, 125 psi high.

I am using Hankook F19 7.50/r16, load range G. I picked these tires on recommendation of a friend who had 5 years experience running Hankooks. One big factor for me is that they fit the width of the rims that came with my trailer. Max inflation for these ties is 105psi.

My rims are rated at 110 psi. I did not change the valve stems when I changed tires. Turns out the valve stems the came with my wheels were only rated for 80 pounds. It was 14 months before one failed - on I-75 in Macon, GA - 95 and 90% humidity. The TPMS gave plenty of warning and we were off the road before the tire fully deflated.

I had a puncture flat in one tire 2 weeks ago. A small nail went in the tire and created a very small leak. It would not leak while under way, but would lose air over night. I tried to fix the tire while still on the trailer. I wanted to use a "gummy worm". The dam tire was so tough that I broke the gummy worm insertion tool when I was trying to put in the plug. I finally pulled the wheel off the trailer and took it to a local tire repair shop for an inside patch (better method of repair).

The change to LT tires and the use of a TPMS has made travel a lot less stressful.

The gross of my trailer is 13,800 pounds. My hitch weight is 2400 pounds. The 11,400 pounds carried on my axles amounts to 2,850 per tire. Even using the consertive "all uses" load rating of the Hankook LT tires (3330 pounds), I have a generous safety margin for load variances.

ST fail pics (my tires):

FWIW, I tried to get the tire manafacture to pay for damages to my trailer. It took a week to track down the responsible party, Dynamic Tire Corp (Power King Towmax). Initially, they claimed my tires were out of warranty (14 months). Then they said the blown tire was destroyed, and could not be analyzed for cause of failure. I was lucky to have one tire that showed damaged without being blown, so I had a lever to use in negociation lever. Next I had to work through the "under-iflated" line. After ~ 5 months, the distributor agreed to buy my ST tires back at $125.

Disclaimer: I am a retired telephone man, not a tire expert. My knowlege, if correct, was learned the hard way. My situation may not match yours.
Old 07-13-2015, 08:50 PM   #84

Quote:
Thanks for the link JIM.

Ordered some 16" wheel yesterday.
Will probably go with a set of Coopers.

I don't see much difference between the HT and the HT3.
Other than the HT3 looks like a rib tire and their speed rating, Q & R.

B
You bet.
I assume the reason Cooper recommended the HT3 LT E tire was they advertise them quote:
The Discoverer HT3 was designed as a premium light truck commercial highway rib tire***

looking at the HT 3 tread shows two solid ribs on the outsides of the tread vs one in the center for the HT. I've found the more solid ribs in the tread there will be less tread roll or wandering especially with a bumper pull/pintle hitch trailers.

However the HT will be hands down better in the long run than any ST tire with the same capacity.

Tags
tires