Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2015, 08:53 PM   #85
Commercial Member

andy29847
I'm not really surprised if you discovered a switch from a LR-E ? to a LR-G tire with increased inflation pressure (ya it is the air pressure that carries the load not the tire) and you seem to have better durability.

I also think your experience with the TPMS might give some insight on the real reason for some earlier failures. Clearly your recent air loss situations would have ended with a "Blowout" and probably damage if you didn't have TPMS.

RE your pressure variation. Inflation only changes by 2% for every change of ambient of 10F. I have written in my Blog on how to get better and easier pressure readings using a digital gauge and that pressure variations of a couple psi are not very meaningful and certainly not a reason to be concerned.

It is true that tires that have actual load near their max are more sensitive to the Interply Shear forces.
Increasing inflation to the tire max or in your case to pressures well above the 80 psi limit for LR-E tires will also result in lower shear forces.

Your experience with a valve not rated for the pressure you intend to use is instructional and hopefully others will make the change before they have an actual valve failure. There are situations when it might be much longer to find a location to stop than for the air to leak out enough to result in tire damage.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2015, 03:29 PM   #86

I read through all of these posts over the last few days and have come to the conclusion that I need to replace my China Bombs before the explode! I have a 2015 Cougar 29 RLI with ST225/75 R 15 Load Range D tires. I have searched through Google and I found two different types, one GY Marathons, Load Range E and the other Power King, same load range. I then thought that it may be easier to get 16" rims, but was told by my dealer that I would need to get new axles, breaks, springs, etc in order to do this. Not sure why, if the bolt pattern on the new rims is the same should they not just fit?

Old 07-15-2015, 04:01 PM   #87

If you have 6 lug 15" rims, I think 6 lug 16" rims would work, assuming you have the needed clearance.

If I were buying 15" LR E ST tires today, I would consider Maxxis and look at Carlisle Radial Trail RH's. The Carlisle tires interest me because they have an N speed rating.
Old 07-16-2015, 04:58 AM   #88

Hi Timetogo
Thanks for the info I will check them out
Old 07-16-2015, 09:48 AM   #89
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyDiver198 View Post
I read through all of these posts over the last few days and have come to the conclusion that I need to replace my China Bombs before the explode! I have a 2015 Cougar 29 RLI with ST225/75 R 15 Load Range D tires. I have searched through Google and I found two different types, one GY Marathons, Load Range E and the other Power King, same load range. I then thought that it may be easier to get 16" rims, but was told by my dealer that I would need to get new axles, breaks, springs, etc in order to do this. Not sure why, if the bolt pattern on the new rims is the same should they not just fit?
Your tires are not going to "explode" simply because they were not built in the USA.
"Blowouts" occur because a tire is run with an air leak or extremely low air to start (like 50% to 75% or more air loss).
If you don't have sufficient air in your tire it doesn't make any difference if it were built in Akron Ohio, was a P type or Steel body commercial 22.5 rim diameter truck tire. ANY tire can fail if you don't have enough air in it.
Old 07-16-2015, 11:18 AM   #90

Ford Super Duty Owner
What you're saying is true, but there is a high correlation between tires made in China and a high failure rate. Certainly some of that is over/under inflation and road debris, but not enough to explain why it doesn't happen as often on non-china tires... Or tires that ARE made in China, but have different quality and manufacturing standards, IE Sailun. And the importers appear (IMHO) to be playing games by re-naming the tires that are coming from the same manufacturing company and appear to have identical tread patterns and almost identical specifications.

Perhaps the real problem is that various RV manufacturers are installing tires that are on razor thin margins to begin with. The factory tires on my 36' 5th wheel are at 93% of rated capacity at max gross. If I was running at gross, consider than it's pretty much impossible to have a completely level load equally distributed across both axles. The fuel tank parks 30 gallons on the left rear of that trailer. And as the trailer doesn't sit exactly level when towed, one axle is loaded more than the other. My guess is that I'd have at least one tire running over capacity. And then age the tires a year or two, which reduces their load handling... Is it really any wonder these tires blow out?
Old 07-16-2015, 11:28 AM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Your tires are not going to "explode" simply because they were not built in the USA.
"Blowouts" occur because a tire is run with an air leak or extremely low air to start (like 50% to 75% or more air loss).
If you don't have sufficient air in your tire it doesn't make any difference if it were built in Akron Ohio, was a P type or Steel body commercial 22.5 rim diameter truck tire. ANY tire can fail if you don't have enough air in it.
Hi Tireman9 Thanks very much for the additional info. I check the tires before any trip (pressure and torque). I wasn't implying that I was going to run out and buy new tires now, only that perhaps next year before we start the season off, this would be the first thing I would do. I looked at the Carlisle and Maxxis tires, both look pretty good, and they come in LR E, which gives, I think a bit more breathing room than the current LR D.
Old 07-16-2015, 01:32 PM   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post

That sounds alot like electronics that stop working as soon as the smoke leaks out of them....

I disagree... While not a tire engineer, I have a mechanical engineering and technology background. I maintain that the reason many of these tires go is that the belts/plies are insufficient for the lateral stress being put on them during low speed maneuvers / side scuff that is natural during parking. Some may have also been damaged by impact with objects on the road or other hazards. But by and large I believe the problem that the entire RV scene is experiencing with the ST Tires (regardless of origin country) is specifically related to the insufficient ability of the tires to handle the weight given the stresses of normal utilization.

I've had a half dozen GY Marathon tire failures now and in none of those cases were the tires more than 4 years old and in two cases the tires were less than two years old. I am one of those anal people that chases after tire pressures and temps. Each time I stop for a potty break or fuel, the tires are all looks at and felt for heat - along with feeling the wheels for heat that would be greater than that imparted by braking for the stop.

Regards - Randy & Dar
2015 F350 CC-DRW-409 Diesel / 2008 Rage'n Stryker 4005 Toy Hauler / 2014 Arctic Cat Wildcat Trail-XT
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 07-17-2015, 07:16 AM   #93

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Tireman9,
You may be a good engineer but you sound like a broken record about the low air pressure causing all the blowouts. While low air pressure does cause failures, and it is always wise to check the pressure before every trip, The biggest cause of ST tire failure is poor quality and manufacturer defects.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 09:06 AM   #94

Do people consider run flats that disintegrate, blowouts?
Old 07-17-2015, 01:29 PM   #95

Evergreen Owners Club
No, running flat is not the same as a blowout. I always check my mirrors often to look at the tires and make sure everything is A-ok.
Old 07-17-2015, 02:35 PM   #96

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Tireman9,
The biggest cause of ST tire failure is poor quality and manufacturer defects.
Frank
The biggest problem with that is there are no documentations to support it.
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 05:02 PM   #97

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
The biggest problem with that is there are no documentations to support it.
There are documentation on tire complaints. One might infer that only certain brands get run over/under inflated and therefore have more problems, but someone else might infer that it's something manufacturing related.
Old 07-17-2015, 08:07 PM   #98

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Well Fast Eagle, when the tires explode due to tread separation, there isn't enough left of the tire to tell what happened. And when you do adjust a bad tire, it generally costs as much or more than if you bought them outright, so most people just buy a new tire and just forget it. I know personally, you couldn't give me a Goodyear tire, steer tires for big trucks have a lot of trouble with rivering, and the Marathons are as bad as the rest of the China Bombs out there. The G614's are the same, it is not a matter of if they will fail, but when. My biggest complaint is that you and tireman9 almost always put the blame back on the owner with the standard "well you aren't running a TPMS and you ran it low on air pressure." Now I will admit that there are some failures that are caused by low air pressure, but most of the ST tire failures are caused by poor construction or manufacturer's defect. And just so you know I have run both Hercules and Roadmaster tires on my 10 wheelers for many years without problems and am currently running 17.5" Roadmaster's on my 5er right now, and those tires are made in China.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires