Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2015, 08:46 AM   #43

I got rid of my OE tires and went to Sailun LRG tires also. I had maybe 6,000-8,000 miles on the OE tires. But after two years of travel I didn't want the risk anymore. I've been completely satisfied with the Sailun's. Will by them in the future again if ever needed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2015, 12:25 PM   #44

Tires for my fifth wheel

Bridgstone duravis r250 is a great choice

Old 02-15-2015, 10:37 AM   #45

Many on here have bought what their dealer recommends, but for our 44' 3 axle toyhauler I buy Carlisle 10 ply tire. Any trailer tire you buy needs to be at least an 8 ply tire. Carlisle makes both 8 ply and 10 ply. I've had 40' goose necks trailers for years with 8 tires on each and gone through every tire manufacturer you can name...goodyear, michelin, bridgestone, and NONE had trailer tires as good as the Carlisle. I've probably bought 25-30 sets of tires for those trailers and now our 5th wheel. On those goose neck trailers, we would haul 20,000-25,000 lbs many times on on 1000 mile trips since we went from coast to coast. Most of the time you have to order them from like a Discount Tire, but it only takes 2-3 days to get them. You won't be sorry...I'll say it...best trailer tire made...period!!!
Old 02-15-2015, 09:04 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by suprdave1958 View Post
Many on here have bought what their dealer recommends, but for our 44' 3 axle toyhauler I buy Carlisle 10 ply tire. Any trailer tire you buy needs to be at least an 8 ply tire. Carlisle makes both 8 ply and 10 ply. I've had 40' goose necks trailers for years with 8 tires on each and gone through every tire manufacturer you can name...goodyear, michelin, bridgestone, and NONE had trailer tires as good as the Carlisle. I've probably bought 25-30 sets of tires for those trailers and now our 5th wheel. On those goose neck trailers, we would haul 20,000-25,000 lbs many times on on 1000 mile trips since we went from coast to coast. Most of the time you have to order them from like a Discount Tire, but it only takes 2-3 days to get them. You won't be sorry...I'll say it...best trailer tire made...period!!!
I've had just the opposite experience in my regional hauling business with several tri axle/tandem and tandem dual axle GN flatdeck/enclosed trailers on the road daily.
One thing we don't use in my line of serious hauling is a ST tire and especially a Carlisle. They gave us the most trouble with the least amount of service of the many brands we used.

.................................................. .......................................
some one said;
"Michelin XPS ribs are not described as trailer or all position tires."

For those that are interested in the XPS Rib tire this is what Michelin has said about them for use on a trailer;

Michelin® XPS Rib® tires are the best value per mile in the Michelin commercial tire lineup and an ideal choice for commercial trailers because of low rolling resistance (for better fuel economy), a long-wear tread design and retreadability. These tires also have the strength of a reinforced all-steel construction for lasting durability.
Responsive handling helps you negotiate through tough traffic
Greater durability and puncture
resistance from a third steel belt.
Easily retreadable all-steel casing
Lowest cost per mile in this category
Resists sidewall damage with the sculptured sidewall protector.
Sidewall: black serrated
outline lettering.
Load Range: E
Service Description: 120/116Q

These tires work great on 6k axles and smaller.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 09:56 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
For those that are interested in the XPS Rib tire this is what Michelin has said about them for use on a trailer;

Michelin® XPS Rib® tires are the best value per mile in the Michelin commercial tire lineup and an ideal choice for commercial trailers because of low rolling resistance (for better fuel economy), a long-wear tread design and retreadability.

Can you provide a current Michelin reference that supports that statement?

They may have said something like that in the past but there is nothing currently out there by them that says anything like that, if there is we/I'd like to see it.

Here is one of Michelin's links and how they describe the XPS Rib.

XPS Rib tires | Michelin US

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2015, 11:25 PM   #48

Well Jim, maybe you're the exception...but certainly not the rule. I think your talking about a larger big rig commercial trailer. I was referring to smaller goose neck trailers that use the same axles and tires as most RV's do.
For smaller trailers...Michelin was decent at best, but no where close to the durability and longevity of the Carlisle's for RV's or goose neck trailers. I think having gone through 25-30 sets of tires over a 15 year period...I have a pretty good feel for a good 8-10 ply trailer tire. I tried many other tires...because at the time, the Carlisles were more expensive. Each time I tried other tires, I had a lot of regret..every time. Quality can sometimes cost a little more. I can tell you from personal experience, the Michelin was decent, but contrary to their claim...they don't last half as long. I never had any blowouts on them, and I tried more than once, because I thought by paying more..I was getting quality. After 3 sets...I quit buying them and went back to the Carlisle tire. For the big rigs, absolutely...the Michelin and Bridgestone are top of the line, but not for the smaller trailers.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:02 AM   #49

ST tires are junk. Any LT tires are far superior to trailer tires. Even loaded above the recommended capacity. For me its a no brained.

Every trailer being towed that I see on the devided highways drives above 65mph.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:30 AM   #50

Trailer tires

I have read all of these postings and have a few observations as I have experienced tire problems on our last 2 5th wheels. All tire problems came from G/Y marathon "E"- 235/80/16. Travelling from Ontario to eastern provinces and to Florida. Basically highway speeds, earlier @ 70, after @60 mph. Had side wall bulging with blow outs, tread separration, and broken belts. Always did tire pressures @80 psi. GY dealer implied that axles were out of align, bent, trailer was dragged accross curbing, etc. After comunicating with many owners on the Titanium forum, I went to BFG commercial TA's after having my alignment checked. Heavier tires by 14 lbs and did not have any sidewall flexing that bloggers have posted about. Ran thse religously @ 80 psi same as our 1 ton dually. LT tires have a reserve built into them as humans ride within the vehicles as ST tires DO NOT have the same reserve built into them as no humans are supposed to be a passenger.My past experience would inform owners to do a proper weighing of your 5th wheel, which is individual axle weights as well as side to side to figure what load you are carrying down the road. This is usually NOT available @ CAT scales, and is available at most large RV rallies that promote safety as well as SOME RV DEALERS.
Old 02-22-2015, 10:47 AM   #51
Commercial Member

Lots of opinions expressed here but what I don't see are the facts. By this I mean what are the actual measured loads on your trailer tires. Simply dividing by the number of tires will NOT give the correct number as almost all trailers have significant unbalance between axles and side to side on each axle.

With the majority of trailers documented as having at least one tire in overload, confirmation of the actual individual tire loading should be a high priority objective.

Also, multi-axle trailers put unique shear forces into their tires. This is why Motorhomes can get 7 years or more life from their tires while many trailers consider themselves lucky to get 3 to 4 years.

If you want the technical reason I covered this topic in my blog on Nov 20 2013.
I have four posts with "trailer" as the label out of the 180 posts on my RV tire blog. You might find reviewing some educational.
Old 02-22-2015, 11:06 AM   #52

Here is my experience.

Previous trailer had ST tires on and I blew 2 tires per year traveling 7K miles per year. Even carried a roll of aluminum to fix the trailer wheel well. Got mad and installed LT tires overloaded by 20% and inflated by 20% higher then the sidewall recommended pressure.
It was the solution for the remaining 7 years of ownership. Traded the trailer with the only LT tires I installed on it 7 year earlier at 50% the cost of ST tires. Yes they were the best price replacement bought on sale at one full price 2nd 1/2 price.

It's my story and sticking to it. LT tires for me on all my trailer tire use.
Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastEagle View Post
Can you provide a current Michelin reference that supports that statement?

They may have said something like that in the past but there is nothing currently out there by them that says anything like that, if there is we/I'd like to see it.

Here is one of Michelin's links and how they describe the XPS Rib.

XPS Rib tires | Michelin US

FastEagle
Calvin's still playing his denial game....how about a email straight from the horses mouth (Michelin) on the subject because of your instant claim for years and on different websites that some how Michelin doesn't make that claim anymore;

Quote:
12/05/2013

Thank you for your email. We welcome the opportunity to serve you.

In regards to the email you sent stating:
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Michelin ran a add for years that recommended using the XPS Ribs LT tires for commercial trailer service. I don't see the add any more on Michelins website. My question is does Michelin still recommend the XPS Ribs for commercial trailer service.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for the contact and for considering Michelin for your replacement tires for your Trailer

Michelin does still recommend the XPS Rib for the commercial trailer service. The features and benefits are listed below:

XPS Rib: Tires offer long wear life with steel casing strength and retreadability.

* Tread compounds specifically developed for commercial applications help tires last longer so your business dollars go further.

* Added strength and ability to retread are just two advantages of steel casing - a feature that keeps trucks where they belong: on the job.

We appreciate your business and thank you for choosing Michelin

It is our goal to ensure that your issue has been resolved or your question answered to your satisfaction. If we can assist you further, please respond to this email or call us at 1-800-642-4354 (toll free) between 8:00 AM and 5:00 PM Eastern Time Monday through Friday.

Sincerely,

Barb C
Consumer Care Department
Certified Michelin Product Expert
Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #54

Quote:
Well Jim, maybe you're the exception...but certainly not the rule. I think your talking about a larger big rig commercial trailer. I was referring to smaller goose neck trailers that use the same axles and tires as most RV's do.
I know a lot of haulers and non will mount a Carlisle on their regional service trailers using the same axles/tires and wheels I'm talking about. A few use them on their local lawn service trailers or local contractors that maybe run out a hundred miles or so from town.
My various flatdeck/enclosed/stock GVWR trailers (10k- 22k) has tandem/tri axle/tandem duals 5.2k/ 6k-7k Dexter or Rockwell American axles under them with same brand 16" steel wheels and 16" LT E and G tires.

The Bridgestone R250 and the Michelin XPS Rib both being a commercial grade all steel ply carcass are tops with serious multi state service LTL size contractors.

I would say my experience with Carlisle tires is much more the rule. Even a google search shows much the same.

I would X2 Tireman9 invitation "to all" for checking out his rv tire safety blog. He has some excellent tech advise on tires for our RVs that actually works and the reasons why it does or doesn't. Lots of usable information for someone looking for tire help.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:00 AM   #55

The solution is to purchase Michelin Ribs. Most durable tire available. Of course they cost more but wouldn't it be worth it to avoid the blowouts and damage from a destroyed ST tire? Pay the price and move on, your problem is solved.
Old 02-23-2015, 12:23 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMNLIN View Post
I know a lot of haulers and non will mount a Carlisle on their regional service trailers using the same axles/tires and wheels I'm talking about. A few use them on their local lawn service trailers or local contractors that maybe run out a hundred miles or so from town.
My various flatdeck/enclosed/stock GVWR trailers (10k- 22k) has tandem/tri axle/tandem duals 5.2k/ 6k-7k Dexter or Rockwell American axles under them with same brand 16" steel wheels and 16" LT E and G tires.

The Bridgestone R250 and the Michelin XPS Rib both being a commercial grade all steel ply carcass are tops with serious multi state service LTL size contractors.

I would say my experience with Carlisle tires is much more the rule. Even a google search shows much the same.

I would X2 Tireman9 invitation "to all" for checking out his rv tire safety blog. He has some excellent tech advise on tires for our RVs that actually works and the reasons why it does or doesn't. Lots of usable information for someone looking for tire help.
You know as well as I do that's a "canned" answer. You forget I live 10 miles from Michelin of North America and they (Michelin of North America) do not recommend any of their XPS Rib line-up as trailer tires. They are a summer tire designed for commercial service.

That in no way represents an endorsement for any other brand or design. It's just a fact about the XPS Rib- name brand - from Michelin.

FastEagle

FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires