Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2014, 08:07 PM   #1

Tires for my fifth wheel

Hello fellow RV'S... I was looking for some advice on a recent trip I had a tire blowout on my fifth wheel on the way to my vacation spot and on the way back can be frustrating I have a Montana 324RLQ and had Goodyear marathon tires on it. I had 75 pounds of pressure in the traveling between 65 and 70 mph. Very frustrating. Can someone recommend the best brand of tire for reliability and any advice to keep this from happening to a minimum.
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2014, 08:21 PM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
There have been many, many, MANY posts by people who've had the same problem you have. You can find them on the Montana Owner's Club forum in a topic all by themselves. Couple of things to consider:

First, you're traveling too fast for Marathons or just about any brand of ST (trailer) tires. IMHO 65 is the absolute limit and I tend to keep between 55 and 60 unless going off a cliff. ST tires are usually rated for only 55 or 60 anyway.

Second, there are good ST tires, but they can get expensive. I put Firestone Transforce LT (light truck) tires on our Montana as they were reasonable in price and far better constructed than STs. An LT tire will have a lot more reserve capacity than an ST - I could probably go 70 mph with no problem, but I don't own stock in a fuel company nor am I wealthy. They do flex more than an ST, because of their construction. The ones I bought are load range E, but the actual numbers are lower because of that reserve capacity bit. You could always sink about twice the money into Goodyear G614s like some others have though.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:28 PM   #3

Thanks Walt.... Yes my cousin told me I'll probably I'll slow down little bit but I had a Laredo Keystone fifth wheel they had smaller tires on it it was a lighter trailer but I had really had no problem for five years before I had a tire blowout and so I guess I was just looking for the best brand tire so that I can at least reduce it. I'll check the form out thanks
Old 09-02-2014, 08:36 PM   #4

I can't seem to find the Montana owners forum.....it doesn't listed under the owners form tab...can you tell me how to find it?
Old 09-02-2014, 09:03 PM   #5
Commercial Member

The questions about tires alway raises a great debate. Just recently someone had the same question in one of the Facebook RV groups and it just went on and on.. The fact is that it really depends on the loaded weight of your unit which defines the Minimum Load Range you will need. That Load Range, the wheel size, and the height profile (tire size) will define what is available.

In my case, after 4 flats (2 were side wall blowouts), I check and find out that my Montana was at the max tire capacity. Overloaded tires! They were Load Range E from the manufacture. I upgraded to Load Range G (g614) tires, problem solved.

Again, it is not an emotional decision because someone else did this or that, it is a fact based decision after you do your research.

I will say, unless you go up several Load Ranges on LT tires, they are not recommended on a Travel Trailer. Their is too much side stress on tandem axle tires. This is backed up by many online videos from various tire experts.

And yes, 65 is the max speed limit on ST tires, they build too much heat from the weight.
Old 09-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Oh, yea, the Montana User Forum is a separated web site.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:15 AM   #7

I have the same fifth wheel as you, a 324RLQ. I am replacing with BF Goodrich Commercial LT tires. One blow out with the cheep Marathons is enough. Here is Montana owners site

www.montanaowners.com
Old 09-03-2014, 07:31 AM   #8
Commercial Member

Looking at the specs for a 324, fully loaded you are roughly 200 lbs short of the maximum for Goodyear Marathon. Thus, failure especially if you travel any long distance.

Keystone and I suspect others have been doing this for some time. For what we pay for these units, we should expect more, unfortunately, they can save a little money when building and pass the problem on to us as we don't realize it till it is later.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krieghoff32 View Post
Hello fellow RV'S... I was looking for some advice on a recent trip I had a tire blowout on my fifth wheel on the way to my vacation spot and on the way back can be frustrating I have a Montana 324RLQ and had Goodyear marathon tires on it. I had 75 pounds of pressure in the traveling between 65 and 70 mph. Very frustrating. Can someone recommend the best brand of tire for reliability and any advice to keep this from happening to a minimum.
Thanks
I’m pretty sure your trailer’s tire placard recommends those Marathons be aired to 80 psi. So you had two strikes against you when you posted here. Not enough air pressure and speeding. ST tires are different from other tire designs you may be more familiar with. Here is a reference that outlines the parameters of ST tires. Owners that stay within the operational envelope of the ST tires more often than not have better success with them.

http://www.carlisletransportationpro..._Practices.pdf

Industry standards say; “The replacement tire must have a maximum load carrying capacity equal to or greater than the maximum load carrying capacity of the original equipment tire.” I don’t do recommendations or options outside of that standard.

The minimum load capacity for any of the ST235/80R16E tires is 3420# at 80 psi, so, that’s the goal to achieve with the replacement tires.

Here are a few options, Use tires the same size and load capacity as the OE tires. Numerous brands to select from with almost all of them coming from “off shore” manufacturers. Ask the trailer manufacturer for their recommendations or if they have options. For plus sizing there are 2 16” options that may or may not fit your rims and trailer wheelwell clearances. The ST235/85R16E has 3640# of load capacity at 80 psi. The ST235/85R16F has 3960# of load capacity at 95 psi. Like your OE tires there are numerous brands to select from but almost all from “over there“.

One of the most durable options is any of the steel cased LT235/85R16G tires with 3750# of load capacity at 110 psi.

Another - not often mentioned - is any of the 215/75R17.5F tires rated at 3530# at 100 psi. IMO an outstanding selection for high mileage users on 6000# axles, but, an expensive venture.

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2014, 04:09 PM   #10

[QUOTE=shiggs68;2211750]Looking at the specs for a 324, fully loaded you are roughly 200 lbs short of the maximum for Goodyear Marathon. Thus, failure especially if you travel any long distance.QUOTE]

What specs are you kooking at. My 2010 324RLQ placard says unloaded vehicle weight is 10930 with a cargo capacity 3325. That's 14255. 4 tires x 3420(load carrying capacity)= 13680. I think it has a tad more pin weight than 575 lbs. so the Marabombs are well within limits for this unit. Still, they blow up with frequency.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:32 PM   #11
Commercial Member

Tires for my fifth wheel

14255 Gross divided by 4 tires is 3563 per tire. Load Range E is a max of 3420 at 80 psi. By your numbers they are overloaded. I understand that you may not have that much added cargo, but you are running close.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:16 PM   #12

What part of pin weight are you ignoring. The pin carries at least 1500+ lbs. of that weight. Take that off and redo your math.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #13

As mentioned:
Too fast & under inflated.
Old 09-04-2014, 08:43 AM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Nobody asked how old the tires where. If the date code is more than 5 yrs old, that and the too low air pressure and overspeed would be a good combination for sure fire tire failure. A good quality ST tire would be the Maxxis. Even those have problems with the above stated conditions.
To help prevent tire failure, Start with a good quality tire (Marathons are not that tire), keep the air pressure at 80psi, limit the speed to 65mph max., and inspect tires closely for weather checks and cracks yearly (more often is better) think strongly about replacing after 5 years.
Frank

Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires