Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #15

So you have access to a 5er, other than one 9 day vacation. For that one 9 day period, would you require another 5er, or would something much smaller/less expensive suffice? Something you might sell in 4 or 5 years to help pay for the one you want/have been saving for a while to get?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2015, 12:36 PM   #16

The reason I'm looking at 5vers is for the safety of towing. Ease of set up and take down. And interior space is larger than a similar TT. I've owned a popup which I was forced to sell years ago and don't want to go through that work to go camping any more. If it was just an issue of having a roof over my head I'd get a tent, but I need something a little bigger and roomier for me, my wife, the 2 dogs and a kid when one comes.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:37 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
The reason I'm looking at 5vers is for the safety of towing. Ease of set up and take down. And interior space is larger than a similar TT. I've owned a popup which I was forced to sell years ago and don't want to go through that work to go camping any more. If it was just an issue of having a roof over my head I'd get a tent, but I need something a little bigger and roomier for me, my wife, the 2 dogs and a kid when one comes.
I do not think a 5er has any advantage over a TT when it comes to set-up and breaking camp. You still need to put wheel chocks behind the wheels, drop the jacks and stabilizers down and un-hitch the 5er. You will still have to hook-up sewer lines, water lines, electric cord and satellites dish if equipped. You will than have to do everything in reverse when you break camp. It takes me anywhere from an hour to two hours to set up and break camp depending on how long we are staying and putting everything away. Such as grill, tables, rugs and chairs.

But a 5er is does have more room and usually has higher quality build items it than a TT.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #18

The other big reason I want my own is its MINE! I don't have to worry about damage or bothering someone to go pick up the camper and drop it off. Don't have to worry about loading and unloading anything and everything. Also with a 5er, hitching and unhitching is quicker. Back up, lock on, raise jacks, plug in and go. With a TT of good size you need a WD hitch and stab bars. That takes more time and bending over to do both ways. I watch both neighbors do this. When towing my dads 5er its 2 as fast as them. Yes the rest is the same. But towing on the road is also different. The 7500 lbs 5er tows better than the 3500 lbs boat I used to tow.
Old 07-09-2015, 03:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
I say get a used 5er that you love now and then get out there and enjoy life with your family.
I 2nd that suggestion!
Old 07-09-2015, 03:17 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
The other big reason I want my own is its MINE! I don't have to worry about damage or bothering someone to go pick up the camper and drop it off. Don't have to worry about loading and unloading anything and everything. Also with a 5er, hitching and unhitching is quicker. Back up, lock on, raise jacks, plug in and go. With a TT of good size you need a WD hitch and stab bars. That takes more time and bending over to do both ways. I watch both neighbors do this. When towing my dads 5er its 2 as fast as them. Yes the rest is the same. But towing on the road is also different. The 7500 lbs 5er tows better than the 3500 lbs boat I used to tow.
Truer words were never spoketh...
Old 07-09-2015, 05:40 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by justafordguy View Post
I say get a used 5er that you love now and then get out there and enjoy life with your family.
If I got the one I love it would be 44' toy hauler with a 8kw diesel Genny. None exist so I'd have to custom order it. Would have to wait too long before I could get into something like that. So I'll get a 5ver that suits us for now and in 15 to 20 years order our retirement rig.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:46 AM   #22

Many times, buying used just means you've bought a unit that's had the bugs worked out of it mechanically. The times your family has when camping are simple and innocent.

You wait 5 years, and children have gone on to a different stage in life. Our daughter started RV'ing with us 20 years ago, and now she's 27 with 2 kids. They're her best memories.
Old 07-12-2015, 07:19 AM   #23

I know that all too well. That's how I got 2 of my vices. Camping and aircraft. Been around both since before we can remember.