Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2014, 02:03 PM   #1

To Redwood or not to Redwood

I am currently pretend living on a 2015 redwood 31sl deciding wether or not it is the rv for me...

The look and feel are great.. The full body paint is great looking.. Fit and finish seem to be well done..

I have heard lots of complaints from redwood customers about ongoing issues and poor customer service but there seems to be a strong, friendly owners forum...

If all fulltiming RVs were created equal I would def pick redwood for appearance and preferences.. But I think excel maybe more quality in the long run...

Thoughts???

Things I have noticed--
No access to back of tvs without unmounting
Latch on closet doesn't work right
No washer dryer option

Any thoughts or feedback will be greatly appreciated-- thank you very much

This would be mainly solo fulltiming in various climates and weather-- I am a complete noob and want a top qaulity-- user friendly rv

Thanks

Hunter
spacemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Here's a link to some previous threads which may give you some insight.
Good luck with your decision.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Redw...com&gws_rd=ssl

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 02:17 PM   #3

I would not put Redwood in the full time group. They would likely be a snowbird unit. Just because a manufacturer states full time means it will last till warranty gone. The infrastructure lacks a lot for a full time unit. Need to look beyond the frills and such. They are a lot of beautiful units and many buy on this alone. They really brag on the Lippert components and that is what the majority of the mass produced units are using. The Excel would be a much better choice. Lifestyle has a better unit also. It is not wide body though. That is a mistake for the company I believe.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2014, 03:29 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
If it were me, and was able to afford it I would go with the EXcel Hands Down. Great full time coach and -10* guarantee. Have looked at both at last years Hershey RV Show, and Excel is the best.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM   #5

Excel are very good coaches. Best, no way. You forget the custom units. New Horizons, Country Coach, Space Craft. But Excels don't cost what they do either.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
Old 07-17-2014, 04:55 PM   #6

Thank you for the feedback. I agree, prob not the best for my needs but I give them credit on the Bells and whistles... Back to excel hunting I suppose... Thanks again
Old 07-17-2014, 05:38 PM   #7

Good choice. It will do much better for full time use. God bless
Old 07-17-2014, 06:20 PM   #8

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
The Redwood has a good looking rig - inside and outside - and a few nice livelable features. However, quality wise, it's just another dolled-up I-beam framed fiver. We looked at them and for what you get felt they were not of the quality for the price they charge.
Mobile Suites a few shorter fiver on a box frame. The frame is designed in-house but built by Lippert. Excel used a box frame, too, but I think they build their own.
We had a shorty 2011 Cameo 31ksls. It was a quality built, full featured fiver on an in-house built box frame.
We now have a 2014 Lifestyle LS36fw which is basically a Carriage carry-over with improvements. We love it and you can fell the quality when you walk around in it. If you are looking for a shorter unit with w/d connections, they have the LS32fw. Here is a link to one so you can see what its like. Good luck in your search. Phillip
2014 Lifestyle Luxury RV Lifestyle 32FW | Guaranty - Oregon RV Dealer, Sales, Service, Parts, Rentals
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #9

Lifestyle are not wide body like the Carriage line was
Old 07-17-2014, 09:27 PM   #10

Florida Cooters Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by glennwest View Post
Lifestyle are not wide body like the Carriage line was
No Lifestyle is not a wide body and nor was the majority of the Carriage line. Perhaps the Carri-lite line in the Carriage brand was a wide body but the Cameo line was not. The Lifestyle if mostly a carry-over of the Cameo line. Phillip
Old 07-17-2014, 09:38 PM   #11

You are correct. Just letting him know that Lifestyle is not the same unit that Carriage produced. Carriage made the carri lite and it was the only one wide body but was top of the line unit. It is no longer made.
Old 07-18-2014, 06:22 AM   #12
JDT

I have owned 3 Excel's since the mid 90's and they all have been trouble free for the most part. Most issues were related to things Excel did not build. Their customer service is very good. We did the factory tour a couple of years ago and they do build a very robust boxed frame in house. They are not as glitzy as some but we felt they have a more residential feel. We've not had it in 10 below weather but we have done some mid teens and there was no problem keeping it warm. Good luck with your search.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 09:59 AM   #13

I'm sold on the quality of excel. After revisiting lifestyle (particularly the 32) I am definitely going to check these out. Appreciate the input.