Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2013, 02:55 PM   #1

Toilet bubbling

Hello,
I am looking for some help with a problem that has just started with my black tank. When we flush the toilet it bubbles quite heavily. The tank was just drained and rinsed 3 days ago. The problem started right after that.

I have no idea what the problem is.

Thanks for your assistance.
pbreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2013, 03:09 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
vent plugged
Old 11-22-2013, 03:29 PM   #3

Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypressloser View Post

Wasps have a habit of building a nest in out of the way places. See if the vent cover snaps off or has screws holding on on, remove the cap and inspect for blockage. If you have an old scrap garden hose, run it down the vent pipe into the tank (measure the distance so you know how much hose you have inserted), tie a knot in the end so you don't lose it into the tank if your grip fails.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Vent

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #6

You may have waited too long to dump the tank and the level got high enough to have plugged the vent port. Possible solution #1 would be to vigorously rinse the tank in hopes the spray will contact whatever is covering the port and dislodge it. Possible solution #2 would be fill the tank about half way with water and throw a bag or two if ice cubes in there for good measure and go for a drive. A winding road would be the better choice that would allow the ice to slosh around and ideally make contact with the offending material that is causing the issue and again dislodge it.

Dan
Pelledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 04:57 AM   #7

Aside from a blockage at or near the top of the vent, it is also possible the vent tube has slipped free and bottomed out at or near the bottom of the tank. I have surprisingly seen this more than I had imagined. Since you'll be on the roof checking for blockages at the vent cap anyhow, once you remove the vent cap make sure the vent tube hasn't slipped down any - it should be above the roofline. Try pulling up on it (carefully) to see if it's loose.
Old 11-24-2013, 10:45 AM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Has any one ever really had success using ice in there black tank, really?
And how did you know it was reason the problem was fixed.
This is just my opinion not saying any one is right or wrong. Just doesn't seem like it would work to me. Maybe in the winter months, but! Ice would be better used in a drink like ice tea.
I have had people say dawn will clean your probes in gray and black tank! We use that detergent washing dishes and it still don't help my probes!
So are these just RV myths and/or old wives tales...

Old 11-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #9

I have mine shaken not stirred
Flair30h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 05:53 PM   #10

I put a lid full of Tide washing soap in my black tank mixed with 4-5 gallons of water and have never had any problems with the black tank. Like others I think the vent is plugged.
behmke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 11:29 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Triple E Owners Club
Your black water tank vent is plugged-the only question left is to determine how. It could be a ball of TP has been sloshed up and into the vent and dried in place to something far more complicated. Start with the easy things- the ice cube thing is to try to dislodge possible plugs, sometimes just 3/4 filling the tank and taking you lovely trailer for a spirited drive will persuade the plug to give up. Those $15 handsnakes you can buy at the box stores do nicely to push down from the roof vent and crank down into the tank. It is one time it would be gratifying to draw it back up with some evidence of either tissue or wet as that would indicate a possible solution- have fun
Old 11-25-2013, 08:06 AM   #12

Leaving the black tank partially full and occasionally taking it down the road to slosh around is a good thing (and it's free). The other thing that is "free", before you "take it for a ride", is to put plastic tub in your sink while washing dishes save that soapy grey water (or two) and dump it in the toilet.
My 3" adapter to the drain hose is transparent acrylic. This way I can observe the "quality" of the stuff coming out.
Yes, it is important to develop "an eye" for the "quality" of the mixture, the "performance of the chemicals", or the "cooperation of your guests" who might not understand that "exuberance with the Charmin roll" might spell a death knell to you black water tank.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 10:10 AM   #13

About once a month, I put a cup of Calgon & 1/2 cup of dishwasher detergent down ours along with a couple gallons hot water after emptying & before a couple hours drive. Then a dump & rinse at the next stop. Works like a charm!!

Martha
Old 11-25-2013, 01:53 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy Living View Post
About once a month, I put a cup of Calgon & 1/2 cup of dishwasher detergent down ours along with a couple gallons hot water after emptying & before a couple hours drive. Then a dump & rinse at the next stop. Works like a charm!!

Martha
Martha, sound like you have a graduate degree (or at least a certificate) in sanitation engineering.
I'm working on my MBS.

hjs
hjsdds is offline   Reply With Quote