Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #1

We are having problems when we flush our toilet. There appears to be more air pressure inside the holding tank than inside our rv. This causes a small upward splash to occur. Does anyone know what might be causing this. I am suspecting our black water vent pipe might be stopped up. The tank is not full and we have plenty of chemical in it. What do you all think?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #2

We are having problems when we flush our toilet. There appears to be more air pressure inside the holding tank than inside our rv. This causes a small upward splash to occur. Does anyone know what might be causing this. I am suspecting our black water vent pipe might be stopped up. The tank is not full and we have plenty of chemical in it. What do you all think?

Old 09-24-2006, 07:44 AM   #3
CD

Yes. Check the vent pipe. I recently found that ours had been invaded by mud dobbers and completely plugged the vent.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 07:58 AM   #4

First of all - Welcome to irv2
Second; I believe you are probably right. Check the vent for a small bird nest or other obstruction, especially if it has been working OK and is just now developing this condition. You may have to run a plumbers snake down the vent pipe.
Is this a new rig? Some times the vent pipe will slip while being installed and extend too far into the tank, thus the toilet will work normally untill the contents of the tank reach the vent pipe, then the 'burping' will occur. It is also possible for the pipe to slip down if it was not fastened correctly when installed.
Good luck,
Loren
Old 09-24-2006, 08:08 AM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
boomerbiker, welcome to irv2
Couple of good answers to back up your thoughts.
Enjoy the forum and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 08:16 AM   #6

Burping is a good definition of our problem. I will definitely climb up on the roof and inspect it. Thanks for the answers. Boomerbiker
Old 09-24-2006, 11:03 AM   #7

Another possibility would be the "Pyramid of Death"...... if solids have Mountained them selfs up to the level of the Toilet pipe this would also cause the symtoms that you describe. The fix of this usually requires a long stick that you can gyrate around to break up the mound. This is a common occurance for folks who full time, the waste does not then have the benefit of getting "sloshed around".

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 02:58 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We had this problem with our new fifth wheel a few years ago - after investigation I found that it was caused by the geometry of the system. The toilet contents drop down about a foot, then take a 45 degree turn for about a foot, then another 45 degree turn for the final drop into the tank. Apparently we weren't using enough water during flushes and paper/stuff was getting hung up on one of the 45 degree bends. I took a hose (don't use your fresh water hose!) and probed (quite forcefully) down the toilet - after a few minutes there was no more resistance to the probing, and we've had no toilet burping incidents since - about 3 years now.

So, before looking at things like vent pipes not installed properly, try making sure the pipe from the toilet to the tank is clear, especially if it has 45 degree turns in it.
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:13 PM   #9

A bidet??? How cool!
Old 09-26-2006, 05:17 PM   #10
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
CindyBee welcome to irv2
Just want to remind everyone lets not have a other RV Movie incident.
Cindy enjoy the forums and post often.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2006, 04:03 AM   #11

Good Morning to all. We have been on the road without internet access, so I wanted to update you on what we did to alleviate our toilet issue.

After the burping, the next morning our toilet was completely stopped up! I think it was the mountain of death!!! I tried a coat hanger to no avail. In desperation I went to the office of the RV park where we were staying and the manager told me to use the long rod that we put our awning out with. I tried and tried, but couldn't get it to go down. Finally, I went back down to the office and the manager came to my RV equipped to handle the problem. In no time at all he had it unstopped. Oh hallelujah!!!

What did we learn? While we were still using single ply paper, my wife switched to a cushioned type. It was a bit thicker. That plus the fact we wern't using enough water with each flush I believe caused the stoppage. I spoke with my brother and he told me he uses a plunger when this happens. Anyway the rest of the trip went down smoothly...so to speak!

Thanks for the input from all. Sorry I couldn't get back in touch and let you know the outcome.

By the way, the campground's name is Twin Spruce in Ruidoso. This is a beautiful place and the owners were terrific! I highly recommend this place! The gentleman that helped us whom I believe is the owner is nicknamed "Stump". Great people...great place to stay!

Boomerbiker
Old 10-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #12

Always leave the black tank closed until ready to dump. Do not leave the black tank open while attached to the campground sewer.(is ok to leave grey tank open) Just prior to dump day, close the grey tank so you have water in it to help with your dumping process on dump day. IF you are at a campground and hooked up to sewer best bet is to dump before you leave the campground. IF your black tank is not full, just place something on the toilet dump pedal so the water runs and fills the black tank. Monitor closely so you do not overfill. Once the black tank is full/almost full, dump it. Use your grey tank water to flush your sewer connect hose.
Be sure to then close the black tank up and fill it with a few gallons of water using the toilet dump pedal routine. You always want water in your black tank BEFORE the first poop goes down the poop shoot otherwise you will end up with a solid pyramid of poop which is a big problem.