RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2019, 11:01 AM   #1

KZ RV Club
Toilet overflowing during night

I have a 2019 KZ Durango Gold 380FLF and when I got up last night to use toilet half asleep I noticed porcelain bowl was full along with 2 of water that flowed out of bathroom and ended at slide-out carpet where refrigerator and dining table reside. My first guess is foot pedal was stuck open allowing small amount to leak? Has anyone else had this problem? Im at an RV park I stay at when in DFW and use a water regulator adjusted to 50 psi.
Regards Ron

baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #2

YES the toilet valve continued to allow water to flow

Foot pedal failed to fully close (ball/flush valve closed but not the water valve)
Scrud prevented water valve from fully closing

Water on floor and into slideout.......that could be a BIG problem
Had a leak and water pooled in corner of main slide UNDER the carpet. Floor crumbled ----slide had to be removed/complete floor removed/new floor installed then sllde re-installed.
Lots of damage....short time frame
WATER IS AN RV KILLER

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 03:20 PM   #3

My friends rv has the same problem. The toilet continues to run, and fill the bowl after flushing. Im sure it is just a valve in the toilet that is not closing properly, or is worn out. For this reason, he doesn't run the water system on park pressure. He just uses his own pump, and shuts it off after each use. On such a new unit, it should be replaced under warrantee. In the meantime, just unhook from park water, and use your pump. Shut it off after each use.
Old 10-17-2019, 03:46 PM   #4

I had same problem too, water filled the bowl and came over the top onto the floor. I suspected there was something blocking the ball valve open ,,,water came in faster than the slightly open ball valve would let drain. I suspected toilet paper lodged in the ball seal. I flushed several times and problem went away. I never changed any parts and that's a year ago. I do lube the seal and ball with plumbers silicone grease. Good thing to do to prolong the seal life.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 04:45 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Ours did that last year, but I heard it and caught it in time. I installed a emergency shut off valve in the toilet line in the crawl space just in case it would happen again.

The cause was one of two screws came off the valve where the water line and foot pedal are. That caused the valve to be cocked and the plunger to be bound from popping all the way closed. There is zero tolerance in these valves....the ball in the toilet has some forgiveness.

Hope this makes sense. Check your toilet valve screws!

BTW: we always turn off the pump or park water when we are away for more than 10 minutes. It's annoying to do this, but the end result of running water in our fifth wheel flooring and under cabinets would be more annoying.
egwilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:41 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by egwilly View Post
Ours did that last year, but I heard it and caught it in time. I installed a emergency shut off valve in the toilet line in the crawl space just in case it would happen again.

The cause was one of two screws came off the valve where the water line and foot pedal are. That caused the valve to be cocked and the plunger to be bound from popping all the way closed. There is zero tolerance in these valves....the ball in the toilet has some forgiveness.

Hope this makes sense. Check your toilet valve screws!

BTW: we always turn off the pump or park water when we are away for more than 10 minutes. It's annoying to do this, but the end result of running water in our fifth wheel flooring and under cabinets would be more annoying.

How about when sleeping????

Old 10-17-2019, 06:56 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club

You don't need water when you are asleep

Use the switch.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:01 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Thetford toilets are the worst for this, after going through 2 new toilets and 3 water valves I installed a Dometic 320 and no problems since. (going on 2 years now)
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 PM   #9

Hum...I really don’t know but you mentioned it was a new rig. Did you use a water pressure regulator when you hooked up to the RV water?
Old 10-17-2019, 07:55 PM   #10

KZ RV Club
2019 KZ and fairly new water regulator set to 50
baranski37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 10:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgvtexan View Post

You don't need water when you are asleep

Use the switch.

That's all well and good IF you use the pump which is what I have done EXCLUSIVELY since 2008

But if using City Water hookup do you run outside and secure the hose bibb before going to sleep......

Old 10-19-2019, 06:13 PM   #12

I occasionally spray silicone around the floor pedal shaft to the valve. Makes a big difference in how quickly the pedal 'springs back'.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:30 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vette Racer View Post
Thetford toilets are the worst for this, after going through 2 new toilets and 3 water valves I installed a Dometic 320 and no problems since. (going on 2 years now)
True! There is a replacement kit for the foot valve seal. I've had to replace it. Also I have a shut off valve at the rear of the toilet to shut if off if needed.
I've found that a good sharp blow with your hand on the side of the foot pedal will probably shut it off. I'm always making sure it's stopped flowing before I leave the "room".
Old 10-19-2019, 08:48 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
That's all well and good IF you use the pump which is what I have done EXCLUSIVELY since 2008

But if using City Water hookup do you run outside and secure the hose bibb before going to sleep......

Use City water to fill the tank,turn off, use the pump for water usage. Has worked for me since the early 70's.

Also never leave camp with the awning out, or a lit fire!

rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toilet