Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #1

The drain valve was left open and paper towels may have been used once. So here I am with the toilet plug that won't unplug. I have ran a snake down several times with no luck. Any suggestions ?

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins
Trailer trash Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2008, 06:29 PM   #2

The drain valve was left open and paper towels may have been used once. So here I am with the toilet plug that won't unplug. I have ran a snake down several times with no luck. Any suggestions ?

Old 07-07-2008, 05:21 AM   #3

Sorry, kind of confused. Is your drain valve plugged or is the toilet not draining?
If the black tank drain valve not working properly, then the only suggestion I can make is to get a mobile pumping company to come out and pump the tank out. Then it is a dirty , but simple, matter of removing the drain valve and fixing it.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 02:02 PM   #4

The toilet will not drain. I think the valve is working. The strange thing is when I flush the system from out side,the water will drain but the toilet remains full. Also the sensor reads emty.I'm hoping that I will not have to pull it all apart from below.

Old 07-07-2008, 04:43 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
It sounds like you got something blocking below the toilet. We went five days once in Canada and it happen to me. Paper had jamed the pipe below the toilet. I put a lot of chemicals in the toilet and waited a week. That got it..
Tom
Old 07-07-2008, 06:05 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
T T RICK: i once had a similar problem. the tp was up to the flush valve and would not go down while flushing normally or with the spray cleaning tool. i had to get a 3ft broomstick, tape a doubled up old toilet paper or paper towel roll to it (to keep the stick from poking a hole in the bags), wrap it in 2 large plastic garbage bags and use it to poke the toilet paper, ect, into the tank. it was a stinky, messy operation. turn off the water pump before opening the toilet drain valve. if you have ceiling vent fans turn them off also. the fans will suck large amounts of odoriferous air through the toilet and into the coach. when done, unroll the bags inside out and dispose of them in the trash. i keep my poop stick in the basement just in case this happens again. it helps to use 1 ply tp and to get the dw to use less tp and more water for each flush. some of the things we do for love...
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L SW Wa, Hi. Good Sam, SKP. AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '14 smart car
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

Ok Guys, I just had my Rv toilet plug up and the holding tank was empty. A wadd of paper the size of a foot ball was at the bottom of the hole into the tank. I used a long pole to move it to the side in the tank.
So I think I will start putting about 10 gal. of water in the wast holding tank before starting a trip. I think all the traveling down the road will break up that football. I just don't think we have much water in the tank to flush out all the paper.
In any case just add a lot of water and it will break up. GOOD LUCK
Old 05-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Dump in a bag of ice along with the water while driving to help stir things up.
Old 05-27-2012, 10:25 AM   #9

For some reason most toilet drains seem to have at least one 45 degree bend about one foot below the toilet valve and it becomes a place for paper to hang up. I've had that with a Class A and now a FW. When I used a snake, it just made a big enough hole to pass thru the jam, and it self-sealed when pulled out. Ultimately, it will decompose enough to go through. If you can't wait, you need to find something larger than a snake, but still flexible, to push the wad thru to the tank. Try a 4" chimney brush with one flexible wand from Lowes or HD.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote