Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #1

Every thing is great in our new rig except that the toilet backs up allmost every day. We have been full timing for two weeks. I know it is a low flush toilet, but is this normal for an RV ?

2005 Dodge 3500 DRW Cummins
Trailer trash Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2007, 01:58 PM   #2

Every thing is great in our new rig except that the toilet backs up allmost every day. We have been full timing for two weeks. I know it is a low flush toilet, but is this normal for an RV ?

Old 10-28-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Let us know what brand/type of RV you have and the brand of pot.

Maybe we help from there.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:34 PM   #4

The RV is a 2008 Forest River Silverback 35L4QB 5th wheel. the toilet is made by Sealand. gravity discharge.

Old 10-28-2007, 04:38 PM   #5

are you RV paper? and do you fill the bowl with water totally to flush solids ? If your dont any your trying to save water thats the issue, just like home you need water to move stuff. My Mom and Dad where doing the same thing years ago and couldnt get more then 10~15 flushes into the tank befor they had a problem , add 1/2 gallon of water to each flush and you can easy fill the tank with 40~60 flushes and it drains almost 100% when you pull the valve .
Old 10-28-2007, 04:46 PM   #6

We have not been filling the bowl. Thanks for the tip. Each day I learn something new about living in an RV. Kind of like being the skipper of a ship. Thanks again

Old 10-29-2007, 04:16 AM   #7

On the SeaLand toilets I have seen you can pull up on the flush lever to add water to the bowl. Do this, add water when pooping (not necessary when peeing) You want plenty of water in the bowl when pooping. when it comes to the toilet, more water is the best bet. By the way, after dumping your black tank and rinsing it, always leave the black tank valve closed and add water to the black tank before you start to use it again. An inch or so of water in the black tank prior to pooping keeps those solids from cementing to the tank floor and walls (building up over time and causing a blockage) and will save you many headaches down the road. 8-)

Also, consider the Geo Method. It has its merits. http://cbruni.googlepages.com/
BillArf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 04:41 AM   #8

In regard to your SeaLand toilet ... I'm not sure if you have the optional "hand spray attachment".
Anyway, the hand spray attachment is inexpensive and easily added. Personally, I will never again own an RV toilet that does not have a hand spray attachment. Easy for anyone to add! Helps rinse the bowl after use and more..
Old 10-29-2007, 01:23 PM   #9

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We have never needed a hand spray, but as above posts indicate the whole concept of "flushing" is different with RVs. Always add water before a BM, I use my foot to hold the foot lever up and water enters the bowl. I do not fill it up totally but at least half full. Then flush when the job is done. With urine when you will be using toilet paper (a woman's thing) you must also add some water before flushing. If you do not use enough water the material sits on the tank floor and gets very hard and has to be chipped out.

After we dump and flush the tank with several gallons of clean water, we always add about 2-3 gallons of water and more of the toilet chemicals (blue stuff). Then the tank is ready until the next dump and helps clean the walls of the holding tank as you drive down the road towards home etc.

Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2007, 07:02 AM   #10

Thanks for the great replys. Looks like the bigest mistake was leaving the valves open thinking it would drain.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #11

We had this problem on our maiden voyage home with our "new to us" DP this past August. Nothing drives home the point of the needed water than having to "bail out" your toilet into a 10 gallon trash can as you try hopelessly to flush the stuff down.

It is also a problem with toilets mounted on the passenger side" rather than driver side as there are usually a couple of elbows involved in getting the waste into the tank rather than having the toilet over the deepest part of the tank right above the waste valve.

I changed out the toilet to a porcelain bowl Aqua Magic (didn't like the Sealand) and I added a spray wand too. We now use only RV toilet paper (get it on sale at Wally World or CW), we add a lot more water to those flushes and we are now using the Geo method mentioned above.

Good luck.
Old 11-05-2007, 02:17 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't use "Charmin"-- use only RV toilet tissue
Old 11-05-2007, 02:56 AM   #13

I'd have to disagree and say there is no reason to use toilet paper that is labeled "RV Toilet paper".
Single ply toilet paper , like Scotts brand single ply toilet paper is RV friendly.. Less expensive and easy to find in grocery stores, Walmart, etc..
Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #14

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by quikduk:

I changed out the toilet to a porcelain bowl Aqua Magic (didn't like the Sealand) and I added a spray wand too.
Good luck. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Just for the record.. SeaLand also has a terrific line of porcelain RV toilets that you can add a spray wand to.