Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #1

New Trailor.
Only out 4 trips.
2nd and 4th trips the toilet stipped draining after 3rd day out.
Not heavily used. Black tank was not full and could be dumped, but toilet was still stopped up between tiolet and black tank.
The dealer has it again. The dealer said I was probably using too much paper. Don't think so as this is my 3rd 5ver and never had a problem before.
This toilet does not go straight down as a lot of them do. It has, according to the dealer, 2 45 degree elbows between it and the tank. This should not be a problem as it is less than 2 ft., and water whould have no problem washing down any solids. I am using the same holding tank treatments that I have always used.
I relly beleive that there has to be some other kind of blockage the dealer has not found.
I will find out in a few days after the dealer breakes it down and gets it draining again.

Has anyone had this type of problem that you wish to share with me, and the solution to said problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2007, 10:24 AM   #2

New Trailor.
Only out 4 trips.
2nd and 4th trips the toilet stipped draining after 3rd day out.
Not heavily used. Black tank was not full and could be dumped, but toilet was still stopped up between tiolet and black tank.
The dealer has it again. The dealer said I was probably using too much paper. Don't think so as this is my 3rd 5ver and never had a problem before.
This toilet does not go straight down as a lot of them do. It has, according to the dealer, 2 45 degree elbows between it and the tank. This should not be a problem as it is less than 2 ft., and water whould have no problem washing down any solids. I am using the same holding tank treatments that I have always used.
I relly beleive that there has to be some other kind of blockage the dealer has not found.
I will find out in a few days after the dealer breakes it down and gets it draining again.

Has anyone had this type of problem that you wish to share with me, and the solution to said problem.

Old 08-13-2007, 10:45 AM   #3
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
When they find the problem, I would seriously consider installing this http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...Flushreg/skunum=3495
or this http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus/index.cfm/Outdo...cess-Kit/skunum=7332 or this http://www.campingworld.com/browse/products/index.cfm/O...k-Rinser/prodID=4969
When installing, use plenty of silicon caulk and don't overtighten the screws into the plastic tank. Most importantly, be sure and use plenty of water in the toilet and don't drain the black tank until 1/2 to 3/4 full. We used the product in the first link and it works very well. I would fill and drain the black tank with fresh water about 2 times. When done, it wouldn't hurt to pour about 3-5 gals of water back in the tank.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:50 AM   #4

My last trailer had the same problem.I found that filling the bowl with water it would flow better and not clog as much.It is a bad design to put elbos in between tank and bowl.i traded the trailer before it caused me any more grief.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 11:05 AM   #5

Thanks, JC2 & Frankie,
Flushing the Black Tank is no Problem as this unit has a factory installed black Tank flushing system. The tank will flush real clean and the toilet will still be stopped up.
I think the elbows or line before the tank has something hung in them. It is a new unit, we took delivery in January, and I beleive the dealer will figure it out in time.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We owned a previous 5th wheel with the same problem - 2 each 30 degree elbows between the toilet and the black tank. I can only echo Frankie's advice to fill the toilet with water before flushing as well as keeping a tight-fitting plunger (plumber's friend) handy.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2007, 03:10 PM   #7

When doing number one use 1 bowl of water.
When doing number 2 two bowls of water.
It has nothing to do with paper. Just not enough water to completel clean the pipe.
We learned the hard way also.
Peaceful
Old 08-14-2007, 07:17 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Another thing to possibly think about would be to run a sewer camera down there. I know some Roto-Rooters have them. It might be worth the cost to prove a manufacturing defect (Warrantee?) or a big chunk of manufacturing material that could be removed. Just a thought.
camper1b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 05:16 AM   #9

Could be they put the pipe too far down in the tank and its too close to the bottom, have heard off this happening.

Hijacker 4 Way Pivot, Integrated controler, 2004 Prowler Regal Advantage AX6 36.5 FLTS
charlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Our Arctic Fox has the black tank with two 45 degree fitting and when we stay up in Canada for a week with no sewer hookup the same thing happen to us. When I got it back home I put chemicals and left it for a week. I took it over to a nearby campground and finally got it unstopped. We now use plenty of water when we flush and no more problems.
Tom
Old 09-05-2007, 12:14 PM   #11

I have seen this alot. We all try to conserve water but in this case the paper goes down the pipe and stays there. The tank is almost empty but because there is not enough water in the tank the paper can not float awat from the bottom of the pipe and you get a backup. I have a wife and 2 kids. We are on the beach for at least a week at a time and we do not conserve when it comes to the toilet and still don't fill it more than 2/3rds. Let the water flow.....The tank will also drain better and you won't have the odor problems some people complain of.

Black 1997 F250 H/D 4X4
markclement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 01:47 PM   #12

Well, after dealing with this on our GSDP's maiden voyage, we have a couple of added tools plus we are changing our "pottying" habits.

1. We only use the CW paper noe rather than Costco since it breaks down better/faster.

2. I use the strongest bio-degradable chemicals I can find...the ones that liquify ALL waste quickly.

3. Since our rig has the toilet on the passenger side (BAD BAD BAD design IMHO)and it too has a 90 degree sweep into the BW tank, we use two bowls of water to flush the #2.

What we found was that there wasn't enough water to push down the waste far enough into the tank to keep it from backing up into the tube. We spent 1-1/2 hours on two different occasions using both types of water "wands" from CW to clean out the blockage. We also had to bail out the bowl several times during the clean-outs. Lets just say I don't want to do this again. Oh, and we replaced the toilet with a porcelain bowl version of the same model that has a more powerfull direct-down water stream and I added the external spray nozzle for good measure.

OAN, if it is one of those times when what you ate is...er...backing you up, we go and use a conventional toilet...JIC.
Old 09-05-2007, 04:10 PM   #13

We tried a one ply brand name and it plugged up.
Tried using copious amounts of water and it plugged up at the bottom elbow again !

Replaced the toilet paper with the RV specific TP and all is well.

03 Chevrolet Express LS 2500 (135"WB) 6.0L, 4.10, G80, HENSLEY, McKesh
6MISFITZ is offline   Reply With Quote