Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2015, 11:32 AM   #15

On rainy days I would think you would want to have a little extra room to stretch out inside. And I'm not afraid of towing an apartment behind my truck.

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2015, 12:50 PM   #16

It partly depends on where you want to use it. If you will always use large RV parks, go for a big one. If you might want to camp in national parks, national forests, state parks, anything much over about 38' can be a problem.

Joel

J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 12:54 PM   #17

Forest River Owners Club
We use ours in both Joel. Not as many sites fit us, but never failed to find one that worked. Just takes a little more planning...
Old 05-27-2015, 01:04 PM   #18

Good to know taken. I have a state park about 30 mins from home I could consult with about there max length. Used to spend weekends there as a kid. Good place to spend a long weekend.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:09 PM   #19

Jayco Owners Club
Maybe not too big for most... but too big for me. With opposing slides and nicer layouts, about 33' is plenty for me... too much hassle after that.
schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:32 PM   #20

My dads 5ver is 27' and maybe its the floorplan but it feels way too small when your stuck inside with 2 people. When you have guests its almost impossible to entertain.
Old 05-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #21

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Good to know taken. I have a state park about 30 mins from home I could consult with about there max length. Used to spend weekends there as a kid. Good place to spend a long weekend.
We do about half our stays at state parks. We study the map, look at campsite photos if available, and call the ranger with our questions.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:18 PM   #22

Quote:
My dads 5ver is 27' and maybe its the floorplan but it feels way too small when your stuck inside with 2 people. When you have guests its almost impossible to entertain.
DW an I and 2 cats have a 27' 5er. We tend to live in it for 2 months each winter and another 2 months each summer. So far, it still seems spacious to us. Perhaps, that is because we used to travel in a 19' class B.

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #23

taken, we have a 36ft FW and camp in a lot of Wisconsin State Parks. Not sure I would want to get any longer. We just don't fit in a lot of campsites. If you are going to stay in private campgrounds, then go as long as you want. IMO.
Old 05-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #24

What works for you may not work for someone else, you have to know your requirements. Sometimes longer length is not the limitation to fit in a spot, but the turn radius to get into that spot.

Yes, length can be an issue sometimes, but sufficient planning can avoid troubles.
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 02:51 PM   #25

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampsitter View Post
taken, we have a 36ft FW and camp in a lot of Wisconsin State Parks. Not sure I would want to get any longer. We just don't fit in a lot of campsites. If you are going to stay in private campgrounds, then go as long as you want. IMO.
Yes, it is harder. We've always had big stuff. A 32' TT, a 36' TT, a 40' FW, and now a 44' FW. Sometimes there are only one or two sites in an entire state park that will accomodate but we book way in advance and do our homework. I do agree that full hookup, pull through, RV parks are a better fit. They are often not in as nice a location though. So, we spend time in both. Got to have an excuse to run the onboard genset and live off our 6v batteries and solar!
Old 05-27-2015, 02:54 PM   #26

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 38Chevy454 View Post
What works for you may not work for someone else, you have to know your requirements. Sometimes longer length is not the limitation to fit in a spot, but the turn radius to get into that spot.

Yes, length can be an issue sometimes, but sufficient planning can avoid troubles.

All very true. Sometimes a narrow campground road and a site with a narrow opening can defeat the fact that it's 60 feet deep. Campground maps are the least use full. I find that parks that have campsite photos are the best for planning ahead. They are often not on the campground's website but rather on independant websites like the aptly named: campsitephotos.com There are others out there too...
Old 05-27-2015, 02:59 PM   #27

Hey taken, what do you have that's 44' long?!?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #28

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Hey taken, what do you have that's 44' long?!?
It's in my signature line. XLR Thunderbolt 395AMP. 44.5' actually...