Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-26-2015, 07:11 PM   #1

Too big?

I have a question that only the well experienced rvers could answer. Is there such a thing as too big an rv? I'm not talking about for the TV. I'm talking about the camper itself. Now I'm one that likes to stretch out, but you don't go camping to stay indoors. The rv is there for shelter. The reason for the question is that there is me and the wife, and the 2 labs. What I've been camping in is a small pop up as a kid, a large pop up as a young adult and now I'm bunking with my dad in his 5ver. So I've been Cramer in small campers most my life. Now I'm looking at 40'+ 5vers for 2 adults and 2 dogs. Am I looking at too big an rv? Or should I get what makes me happy and ask the heck with everyone else?

Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2015, 07:13 PM   #2

go big or go home2

Old 05-26-2015, 07:14 PM   #3

Glad I have a 1 ton diesel
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 07:27 PM   #4

SpaceCraft makes a 53' custom 5th wheel hauled by a Semi Tractor truck. Go to their website to see this monster 5th wheel. That is too big...

Anyway...there are 31' 5th wheels with 3 slides. That opens up plenty of room for two. With two big dogs a 34' 3 slide 5th wheel would provide more comfort.

Get what makes you happy. I have seen campers staying in small(ish) TT's to Prevost motorhomes. Everyone is happy.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:31 PM   #5

Only you and the DW can answer that question. We travel with one lab sized dog in a 30 foot MH. Our primary goal is to travel with the dog as comfortably as possible. Yes, we used to backpack, camp in tents and eventually moved up to a Chevy panel van we converted to a camper ourselves, but now, we rarely camp. We travel. And we want to be comfy. Why only 30 feet? Our pre-purchase research told us that we could take that size anywhere and that has proven to be true. IF we want to take the grandkids camping in a national park, we can. IF we want to stay in a luxury Motorcoach resort, we can do that too. We have flexibility we wouldn't have in anything larger.

Now, all that said, we are about to take off for 3 months. Something we've never done. Will we wish we had something bigger by say week 5? Maybe, we'll see.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:32 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
We are at 44.5'. Just right...
Old 05-26-2015, 07:39 PM   #7

41 feet serves me well, wife 2 kids and an Aussie Shepard. We also spend most of our time outdoors but it sure feels good to stretch out when you do go inside.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:58 PM   #8

Size matters
Old 05-26-2015, 08:36 PM   #9

Quote:
Now I'm looking at 40'+ 5vers for 2 adults and 2 dogs. Am I looking at too big an rv?
No!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airmech View Post
Glad I have a 1 ton diesel
But a MD or HDT is By Far a better choice in a hauler for anything over 38ft! ...imho & experience!
DBL Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 11:35 PM   #10

Don't forget the floorplan and space utilization, it's at least as important as length.
Old 05-27-2015, 06:59 AM   #11

We started with a tent and went to a popup, then an 18' TT and then jumped to a 41' MH and now have a 43' 5th wheel. The principles are the same for the 18' and the 43'. In fact to me I'm more apt to get the 43' backed in where I want it in one try than I was with the popup. 35' and smaller gets you in more campgrounds but we've never not found a decent place to stay where we want to go and that's after extensive travel up and down the east coast and a trip to Alaska and back. There is at least one school somewhere in Florida that will teach you how to maneuver a bigger unit if that would make you more comfortable. But I think you can become comfortable in a large empty parking lot. The bottom line is that you won't be happy with something that's too small so don't be afraid of getting something that fits your needs and don't be afraid of learning to maneuver it.
Old 05-27-2015, 07:42 AM   #12

Lazy Days in Tampa holds driving classes. Not sure if you need to buy from them or not.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 AM   #13

My wife and I started with a 31' two slide TT and with us and two dogs it was OK but not great. We now have a 41' 5 slide 5th wheel with 430 sq feet of space inside and it's just right.
Old 05-27-2015, 10:15 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
I think there can be a too big, even though this might be different for others as to how big is too big. With size comes more hassle if you ask me.

I was parked next to a guy in Maine with a 28 foot 5th wheel, and that looked perfect to me. I don't have the gumption to tow something 40' long and 18,000 pounds... ! But I'm a wussy, so......

RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote