Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2014, 11:46 AM   #1

Too good to be true?

I have started looking into upgrading our current popup to a 5th wheel. We have a 2500 diesel with a 5th wheel hitch already in place so towing will not be an issue. The closest dealer to us is a Jayco-which I really do like. However they told me that the one I was looking at ((2014 31.5[B]HTS)was listed at 50K. I know they hugely inflate prices so they can turn around and discount them but jeesh! I have found a very comperable used Elkridge Express 30 (2012) for around 22K and a new one for 25K. Is there really that much differnece between these two brands? Thanks!
newtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #2

In addition to other suggestions you might draw here, another suggestion might be to ask that question to whoever quoted you 50k for the Jayco?

Agree, that's nuts if you're comparing similar product and features.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:43 PM   #3

Just Googled both trailers, the Jayco is about 50k, it seems to be a nice unit. Then I Googled the Elkridge Express...the one that is two years old is about 25k and the new one is about 40k. I don't think they inflate the prices THAT much...they will deal. I think you are suffering 'sticker shock' and need to keep looking...

The Jayco looks like a nicer unit than the Elkridge, so a cheaper Elkridge would follow, and one 2 years old would reflect a much lower price as well.

The new Elkridge at 25k would be a deal.

JMHO

Tim
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

This is an Apples vs. Oranges question...

A new purchase will come with a new purchase price.
The depreciation after sale is just the cost of buying new, but there is a warrantee and all that goes with a new purchase.

Best luck on your search
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Well just for some perspective we upgraded last summer to a 2014 model year, but a different rig. List on ours was 49.5k. Out the door for 29.2k. Lots of "feel good" markdown usually seems to be the norm in my experience.

Keep your words sweet.
You never know when you will have to eat them.
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
welcome newtrx.... but a word of caution on your assumption that "...towing will not be an issue...."
famous last words right up there with "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Until you know the exact capabilities of your tow vehicle, you probably don't know what type rv you can CARRY with it...
Yes,
pulling probably won't be an issue,
towing may not be an issue,
but carrying the weight on your existing vehicle will PROBABLY be an issue...

what year, model, cab, suspension do you have now so you can google what the specs are to get the gvwr, rgawr, etc...?
Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM   #7

Are they the same trailer? Most people don't know but it's good to learn.
Compare these: water heater size and function, awning, slide toppers, refr, 30a or 50a power, refr size, tires, wheels, brakes, axles, frame, windows, insulation, and so on. Many things that can change.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #8

We have a Chevy Silvarado 2500 diesel. I will have to look into tow issues. It is really confusing trying to compare units! I appreciate the extra suggestions as things to look for. I've looked into Heartland and they appear to be a "young" company. I can't find anything strongly negative about them. I've also not noticed their brands while camping but maybe that has more to do with where I live and where these are typically sold. Anyone else have experience with any Heartland branded campers?
newtrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:17 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Another thing to keep in mind is the '15's are debuting shortly - some are already on dealer's lots. That '14 is practically last year's model so there's no way they should be expecting MSRP on it.

Jayco's are solid built RV's & they're heavy - heavier than a Heartland of the same size. Heartland has had it's share of quality/fit/finish issues & I wouldn't consider it in the same league as Jayco.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #10

I just purchased my first 5th wheel, and went with Jayco (361REQS). Been shopping for over a year, seemed to be top quality from other brands I looked at. And yes the discount was substantial, MSRP was 79k and purchased at 53k, that was with hitch and washer/dryer added. Can't wait to pick it up next week... Woohooooo
Gahackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM   #11

Congratulations. Enjoy!
markroblee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:39 PM   #12

Thx, not sure where we'll head to first. Somewhere local I'm sure so can check everything out bfore a big road trip. But def looking forward to it. Turned 55 tday so HB to me lmao
Gahackel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:40 PM   #13

Look at Northwood, I love our Arctic Fox 31. High quality, solid oak interior, lots of mirrors for an illusion of a bigger TT and great insulation. You can jump up and down on the kitchen floor!
Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 07:55 PM   #14

Today's discount on new should be around 30%. 50000 down to 35000
Ours was list 58000 got it for 44000