Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #15

If you have under trailer storage in the front of the trailer, move the heavy stuff there.
If you have under bed storage in the front of the trailer, move the heavy stuff there.

When you accelerate, you are putting more weight on the hitch. That should tell you something.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2012, 12:30 PM   #16

I would say it's 2 problems:
1- Shocks. You need new HD shocks to hold the weight.

2- You have too much weight in the rear which causes a pogo effect. If you have a fresh water tank ahead of the rear axle then fill it and see if it makes a difference.

Good luck.

Old 10-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #17

Shocks do not hold weight. They dampen it.

What if he gets to his destination, uses all his fresh water, dumps and doesn't refill to save gas on the way home? It would be a good test, but not a solution.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:37 PM   #18

Pin should not be directly over the axle, it should be forward of axle, this puts the weight on the front and rear suspension of the truck. Directly over the axle puts to much weight on the rear. Shocks will not support any weight, springs support weight. Shock aid in rebound and dampening.
Old 10-09-2012, 08:56 AM   #19
D&J

The very first thing you have to do if you still have the factory shocks on your truck is change them out all the way around, I like Monroe Gas Magnums. Next if your truck is not sitting level install air bags to level it out. Last look at the trailer suspension and if it's just the standard equalizers without shocks it will never pull smooth, something like this will help MOR/ryde Products. A modified pin box will help but it still will not cure the trailer suspension problems. As far as the hitch being over the axle or in front of it it really doesn't make that much difference just so long it's not behind the axle, I have checked weight transfer with the hitch in front of the axle and it transfers very little weight to the front axle.

Just remember if your trailer in bouncing around back there it is tried to your truck so it will affect the way the truck rides.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
D&J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #20

Pin over the rear axle WILL cause the bounce, it has to push the truck down as a unit, over the axle pushes down the rear and not the front which results in bounce. Pin should be 2 to 3 inches in front of axle. I have been installing them for years. And have correct a lot that were installed directly over the axle to eliminate bounce and porpoising.
Old 10-09-2012, 09:36 PM   #21
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by grayghost03 View Post
Pin over the rear axle WILL cause the bounce, it has to push the truck down as a unit, over the axle pushes down the rear and not the front which results in bounce. Pin should be 2 to 3 inches in front of axle. I have been installing them for years. And have correct a lot that were installed directly over the axle to eliminate bounce and porpoising.
I have had them over and in front of the axle and there was not difference, I've been pulling 5vers sense 1987 with a few trucks and trailers combinations , I think are present rig is maybe 1" in front its been there for 12 years so I can't remember for sure, I used the Ford box bolts for the front rail when I installed it in 2000 to set the distance when the truck was new. At our homebase we have a elevator in town and I have checked the front axle loading with different trailers and trucks and it's very hard to get any load to transfer to the front axles with the pin weight alone. With 3200 to 3400 lbs of pin weight our rig puts on the truck I get about 100 lbs added to the front axles if my air bags are have enough air to bring the truck to level or a little above. Now if the truck is setting low in the back because of pin weight it will transfer from the front to the back guaranteed, again I know this from playing with loads and going to the elevators and verifying the weights at certified elevator scales. I lost a air line to our bags a few years ago and the ride was terrible because the truck was sagging in the rear, it's very very important to keep the truck level when loaded to get the best ride.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #22

DJ, take a look at your hitch manufactures recommendation, I don't know what hitch you have, but NONE recommend over or behind axle installation. If you move it forward you won't sag your truck and need air bags near as much. You want the front of the truck to drop with the weight of the hitch as well as the rear, but not to that extent. Oh by the way I have been installing these since 1975, and towing with em before then. There is a actual formula based on wheel base that tells you how far in front of the axle you mount it, to acheive weight tranfer, doing it wrong since 1987 does not make it right, and giving unsafe recommendation ain't good.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #23

I feel that there is not enough weight on the hitch and the truck springs are left loose. A 7600 lbs fifth wheel will barely have 1000 lbs on the truck. If the shocks are not doing their job the springs will be loose and move up and down.

I had a GM and towed with the hitch on center and it drove like a Cadilac with 2300 lbs on the hitch. Original shocks for 9 years. 1 in in front of the axle will put 1/141 x 1000 lbs on the front axle. Or 7 Lbs on the front and 3 inches will put 21 lbs. But 3 inches behind will be very different because I felt it with my 1/4 ton while the hitch was mistakenly located backward one time, but that was with a very small truck and a heavy trailer for the truck, here we have a light trailer for a heavy truck, so I cannot imagine how a small trailer will affect the drive on a 2500 GM. I towed 12000 lbs for 9 years with a similar truck and it was solid.
Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 AM   #24
D&J

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLyon View Post
This truck is not the HD model and it has an incredibly smooth ride for a pickup truck.
This is the one statement that leads me to think you need to help out our truck suspension some. Heavy duty shocks for damping and and a set of air bags to help any sagging under the pin weight, also you also have to look at how your trucks acts under load going down the road not just setting there, that's where air bags really come in to play. You have to stop the bouncing before it gets going but you will lose some of incredibly smooth ride. You will also have to look at your trailer suspension and smooth it out, the add on equalizers and shocks on the trailer help in the jerking the trailer will have when it's going over any bumps or dips in the road. Anything that stops the bouncing or jerking form starting will help the ride in the truck.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBLyon View Post
The pin is directly over the axle. I doubt the shocks are what I need. This truck is not the HD model and it has an incredibly smooth ride for a pickup truck. I'm thinking now that the shocks are not the heavy duty kind that I need for this kind of hauling. I've pulled a bumper pull trailer and there is never a problem but this is my first 5th wheel with this truck. I'm clueless on a lot of this stuff. How do you change the weight distribution in the trailer to have more weight up front? By the way, when I'm going up a hill or stepping on the gas there is no bounce. The bounce comes along when I get to cruising speed on a level surface and all of a sudden it'll start.
Never had a bouncing problem, but did experience the "Dolphining or Chucking". I installed 4 Monroe SensaMatic shocks on the 5er and stopped it for the price of 4 shocks and about 4 days fabrication/installation time. It is now the sweetest towing trailer I've had and I have been towing rv trailers since 76 and racecar trailers since 64.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Clearance to tire.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	27513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Left rear.JPG
Views:	59
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	27515  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Left front.JPG
Views:	54
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	27516  
Old 10-11-2012, 09:11 PM   #26
D&J

dunnnc are the axles on that trailer Dexter Torflex, I have them on a enclosed trailer and it's the best pulling trailer I have ever pulled but it will have a little bounce under some road conditions.

Denny

2003 HH 35 Premier
Old 10-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by D&J View Post
dunnnc are the axles on that trailer Dexter Torflex, I have them on a enclosed trailer and it's the best pulling trailer I have ever pulled but it will have a little bounce under some road conditions.

Denny
They are ALKO torsion axles. From what I understand are the same.
Old 10-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #28

The 5er hitch must be placed according to the hitch installation instructions, as they are vehicle specific. My Chevy dually is directly over the rear differential, just as the installation instructions and GM states. GM truck frames come pre-drilled for the installation bolts for most hitch brands.
I also recommend HD shocks like Koni, Bilstein, Rancho. Is the 5er and truck both level when hooked up? If not, it causes a weight imbalance.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote