Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2018, 09:17 AM   #43

Is is possible to have too much of a good thing?

I believe "too much" power is just enough!
xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wundertaker View Post
My whole point of this thread was to show that Virtually No One complains about having TOO MUCH POWER!!! Yet...there are a thousand threads from those claiming their 150/1500 gasser can tow ANYTHING, ANYWHERE, AND ANYTIME!

They will get out their slide rulers, calculators, and tape measures to try to convince the HIGHLY EXPERIENCED HERE (really trying to convince THEMSELVES) that they are WELL WITHIN LIMITS and all is well. And then they want advice on adding air bags, springs, lift kits, and the such to bring their 150/1500 up to and more powerful than a 350/3500 diesel!

Sorry to bloviate here however, I JUST DON'T GET IT! As for me, I'll relax in my "waaaaay within limits TV" and focus on keeping my coffee cup full!
Agreed with your sentiment but on the flip side and just as annoying is the group of RVers. THese are the guys that are firm believers that if you are towing a 10K-12K GVWR trailer or 5er you " are in one ton dually territory now". Some just think anything above a pop up require a diesel and/or 1 ton dually. Don't get it.
Parks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:11 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
It's not really a question of power is it? Your doing yourself a disservice if you think it's only about HP. A F-150 can be optioned with the same 6.2L that the F-350 has. The 3.5L Ecoboost has more power then the base GM 6.0. It's really about suspension, brakes, transmission, cooling etc. The weight of the trucks themselves help as well.

These are the things that make the difference while towing.

So there is a lot there in regards to capability. But it's all a compromise. My F-350 doesn't fit in parking garages. Service on diesel engines is expensive. Half tons ride far more comfortably. Dually's can't go through drive through restaurants, banks, or pharmacies.

I've decided a 1 ton diesel SRW is a good compromise for me.

Everyone values these things differently.

Now what I don't understand is everyone's love for 3/4 tons but that's another matter

I’ll take the comfy ride from my 3/4 ton over a one ton any day. And, it does just fine towing
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018, 04:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parks View Post
Agreed with your sentiment but on the flip side and just as annoying is the group of RVers. THese are the guys that are firm believers that if you are towing a 10K-12K GVWR trailer or 5er you " are in one ton dually territory now". Some just think anything above a pop up require a diesel and/or 1 ton dually. Don't get it.
^^^^ Agree
96 Softail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 06:17 AM   #47

Damon Owners Club
too much power...hummm. I guess that would mean while pulling the 5er shifting into third gear and spinning the rear tires and leaving 30 foot of black marks on the road! Now that would be too much power...
Old 02-26-2018, 06:30 AM   #48

Always interesting who gets their feelings hurt when talking about trucks..... there is a pattern

Tags
power