Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-12-2019, 06:38 PM   #1

Torflex axle, is this a good thing?

So we have narrowed down some of our choices for the next new to us lite weight fifth wheel.
So the DW fell in love with a 2015 Rockwood Signature UL 8282.

The salesman says plus you get these "better" axles. We have been camping for decades. Starting with tents and having every style of camper there is (pop ups, a frames, tt's 5er's). Every single camper I have owned (and I am old) has had leaf springs.

Are the torflex axles actually better? More maintenance to them?

Thanks
Scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-12-2019, 07:29 PM   #2

Torque Flex axles will ride better for the rv, and are great for a single axle, but will not share the load to the other tires like a tandem does with leaf springs, and an equalizer.
If your not hauling near max weight, it probably doesn't matter a lot.
Garyp4951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:50 PM   #3

The Torque Flex type axles are lighter weight and the reason used on some ultra light models. I had a Coleman tent trailer and a 22' Forest River Flagstaff ultra light each with these type axles. Hauled each of these down many miles of forest roads. My opinion is they are less forgiving if you overload them (could do permanent damage), but used properly provide great service.
DbleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 02:24 PM   #4

I have Torflex axles on my fifth wheel. They have advantages and disadvantages. There is no metal to metal contact so you don't have to replace wear parts like bushings and shackles. As mentioned prior, there is no load equalization and I feel like they may contribute to chucking. Some mention they do not need shocks which would be good because there are be no places to mount them. The axles themselves can serve as a structural crossmember so the frame can be designed lighter. In my case, my frame is engineered and the axles are flange mounted on the frame making it pretty much impossible to lift the trailer (I could use an inch or so). They are more expensive than standard axles so replacement costs would be higher. Since they are not hung, it is possible to get the trailer's floor closer to the ground reducing overall height.
Old 12-28-2019, 02:43 PM   #5

Here's my take...

I converted my 5th wheel from tandem Lippert 4400 lb axles that use 12x2'' electric drums to Dexter 7000lb Torflex axles using 13' disc brakes and 4 piston calipers. I see some misinformation in this thread that I feel compelled to address. As far as ride height adjustiblility...Dexter has an available spacer kit designed specifically for the Torflex axle. It's has been a while since I have seen it but I think it can give a fixed 2'' ride height increase. No incremental height change is available with that kit. Torflex axles use a very sturdy forged steel trailing arm torsion axle design and can be ordered in many different brake and axle weight rating configurations. I ordered my 7k axles de rated to 5400 lb. Axles can be ordered using any of several trailing arm configurations as well. In other words the trailing arm can have the spindle oriented down below the frame or above int in 6 different ride height arrangements. The axles I purchased are configured in the 10 deg down arrangement and have replaceable spindles. Torflex axles have no equalization between the axles on the same side of the trailer and they also are completely independent in operation.
I have a blog (checkmybuild.com) that details the installation in it's entirety if you're interested and also have some pics in the Keystone forum album under lunge motorsport.
As far as performance goes they are fantastic in my application. The 5th wheel has no more bounce and tracks much straighter and steadier. These axles are far sturdier than leaf spring axles. Just take a look at your leaf springs, axles and tires when jack knifing your trailer into a tight spot. Then research broken shackle mounts...

There are many comments all over the net in regards to jacking a vehicle using Torflex axles. My solution is shown in the album and the blog that I have.
Old 12-28-2019, 03:19 PM   #6

I had the torflex axles on two different Jayco TT's. The tire wear was horrible and I was lucky to get 10k out of a set. No one could/would attempt an alignment on them. I'm glad their gone.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 12:41 PM   #7

Sanda...
I’m interested in knowing more about your problems with Torflex axles. Were they manufactured by Dexter? Torflex is a proprietary name but there are other manufacturers of torsion style axles.
When I read that there are issues involving a product that I did hours of research about I have concern. What exactly were the alignment issues that you had with your axles?
I looked through your past posts to get some perspective and found a post where you mentioned that you owned 2 Jayco trailers that had serious quality issues. You stated that one had frame issues. Were these the trailers with the Torflex axles. Is it possible that your problems were due to the poor workmanship that you mentioned?
I have found my axles to be extremely robust with a 3 1/2” square axle tube and as I did the installation and the initial alignment, they have been superior in all respects and comparisons to any leaf spring tandem axle trailer that I have pulled over the last 35 years of towing. My installation now has over 20k miles through all types of terrain with no unusual tire wear.
Any information you can provide would be of interest to me.
Old 12-29-2019, 02:43 PM   #8

lunge motors
I believe my axles were Dexter but it has been two years since I got rid of the last one. My first Jayco had 28 factory defects and was recalled for low ride height where they added 2" spacers between frame and axles. The second Jayco was a little better built than the first but the 4" frame ripped above the 2nd axle attachment totaling the trailer. These were both Jayfeathers and were built as cheap and light as possible. I hope the other lines of Jayco are better built.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2019, 04:09 PM   #9

Sanda
The more I search, it appears that Jayco used Torflex axles. I will still maintain that these axles are superior but have special frame requirements. Torsion axles induce much higher localized stresses at the frame where leaf springs will spread that load over a far wider area of the frame. The difference is dramatic and I can understand the frame failure if the proper reinforcement is not engineered in place.
My original 4400# leaf spring axles were located using 3) 3”x3/16” thick U brackets, marginal at best in my opinion although typical in the trailer world. The new axles use much more substantial Dexter brackets that are about 14” long for each axle attachment. This in turn is welded to 72” long 2x8” steel frame extension, spreading the load over a full 6’ of frame length.
I invite you to view the install at checkmybuild.com.