Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-26-2016, 08:38 PM   #1
Tornado Ally

I just returned home from leaving my wife and our 5r in southern Missouri. I wouldn't recommend the campground to anyone but it was all that was available close to here parents. But that's beside the point.

Where she's at is smack dab in the middle of 'Tornado Ally'. The campground is right next to an old Army Air Base, but there is a safe room in a building 50 yds away.

Anyone who's lived thru a tornado know it'll do pretty much what it wants. If a tornado goes thru I know the 5r will be destroyed. Don't care as long as my wife is safe.

What I'm thinking about is the high winds that accompanies but isn't always associated with a tornado.

I cranked the X-chocks down real tight on both sides and instructed her to run the awning and all slides in if she hears the siren or if things don't look right outside before she heads to the safe room.

We talked while I was heading home and she's going to fill the fresh water tank even though she's hooked to city. That'll add a little over 500 lbs down low.

I could have staked the 5r down but the soil is sandy and my experience up here with our winds and commercial spiral stakes, it wouldn't help.

Can anybody suggest anything I didn't think of that maybe she could do? Honestly, basically I'm looking for piece of mind.

No dogs. No cats. No kids. Just us.
CTD Ram 3500 pulling a Montana High Country.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 08:53 PM   #2
I would bet CG Staff is well versed in 'tornado' protocol

Have wife stay on contact with Staff and heed their warnings/advise

Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:06 PM   #3
Download an app to your phone that will tie into the weather alert system.
Your main concern in your wife, every extra minute of warning is just that much more safety.

You cannot make things tornado or forklift proof.
"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most"
Parrott_head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 09:52 PM   #4
"I cranked the X-chocks down real tight on both sides and instructed her to run the awning and all slides in if she hears the siren or if things don't look right outside before she heads to the safe room."
Sounds like the best advice--except, the awning should be in if weather is threatening, and I would not take the time to run the slides in when it is possible that HIGH winds or a tornado is approaching.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 10:24 PM   #5
As a veteran of a couple of tornadoes in my lifetime and having lived in tornado alley most of my life your best defense is information. Today's weather technology far exceeds what it was just 10 years ago. If threatening weather is approaching just be sure she takes precautions while there is time. Hopefully she has access to local tv channels. Most will be able to pinpoint the exact movement of any storms. The main thing is to get out of the rv and into a good shelter. Not sure there is anything you can do make any rv storm proof.

If it is any comfort she really is not in what is considered tornado alley, which includes most of South Dakota and Nebraska, the western 3/4's of Kansas and Oklahoma and northwestern/central Texas to include the Dallas area.
2013 Excel Winslow 34RKM
2015 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax 4X4 dually
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:20 AM   #6
As JDT said information is your best defense. It's not like when there it's a tornado it lays down a swath hundreds of miles wide. I am amazed at how well the warning systems work in tornado alley, the key is to have these systems alert you when there is a watch and especially a warning.

My bet is you'll not have any problems as only a small percentage do, BUT your wife needs to be aware of her surroundings.

and BTW

If a tornado does hit the RV Park the trailer is toast doesn't matter what you do.

DKRITTER is offline   Reply With Quote