Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-20-2015, 07:36 PM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
You may want to look at travel trailers rather than 5th wheels simply because they put about half as much weight on the hitch for the same size trailer. Your truck will haul a larger TT than it will a 5r.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:20 AM   #16

I agree with that, you will be able to tow a larger TT, but a fifth wheel is easyer to hitch up and tows better, all that said if you go for a trailer with the proper weight distribution equipment you will be all right.

Old 02-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
Its not a larger truck but a stronger truck and the only choice is going to diesel for towing comfort. Larger gas truck only will overload the engine more and tow harder. The remarks I get from F250 gas owners that tow their TT , is that its tiring to tow and they move on to diesels or motorhomes. The gas HD trucks hardly get used for towing but for company service as F250 are king with their simple design and heavy bodies that serves the industrial demands. But with diesel engines as does GM and Ram they are classy performers for towing.
I guess I was not clear in my statement about 'larger truck' meaning 2500 or 3500 diesel. The benefits of diesel are many, fuel mileage, power and torque, just to name a few.
safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 06:43 AM   #18

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Duel rear wheels when towing priceless !
Old 02-21-2015, 07:05 AM   #19

Tiffin Owners Club
Great information. I will either look at TT for my 1/2 ton or trade up my truck for a 3/4 ton to pull a 5th wheel. Check this link out to see what is coming out this fall with Nissan. I have always been a Chevy guy but this truck looks pretty good

http://www.nissanusa.com/trucks/2016...n_feb_0219_INT
Old 02-21-2015, 07:30 PM   #20

Been there done that! Along with towing you must also consider stopping. I started off with a GMC half ton 5.3 w/3.73. Did ok with a 26' 7k TT still had to be careful. Then went to a half ton 6.0 w/4.10 rear and hauled a 9k TT. Much better than a 5.3. Then I went to a 6.6 duramax 3500 hauling the present 5ver, 17.5k gvwr. WOW! major differance. The pulling power a diesel has is much more desirable. Stopping is also much better, the trailer has disc brakes too! If your are considering a 5ver go with at least a 3/4 ton diesel. If you don't want to trade your present TV then stay with a lighter TT. JMOO based on experience.
Old 02-24-2015, 10:50 PM   #21

This is NOT in any way scientific, just my anecdote...

In 1998 we bought our first 5th wheel. It was a little Jayco that weighed 5400 lbs dry. Loaded we never exceeded 6800 pounds at the scales. Kingpin weight was usually right around 600 lbs.

We ORDERED a Dodge 1/2 ton, specifically for towing - 2WD, 3.73 rear, 360 (5.9L), etc. Truck was rated at 9,000 pounds for towing. Bought the extended warranty just in case. Going down the flat roads in the midwest at 60 mph, we had to tow OUT of overdrive, cause every hill, no matter how slight, caused the truck to do the downshift/upshift dance. In the mountains it was WORSE. The truck went through brakes approximately every 20,000 miles (one set lasted 11,000). In 5 years, it used 6 sets of brakes, had 2 rear-end rebuilds, and when I dumped it, it had been in to the dealer NINE time for a check engine light. Their final diagnosis was that the "heads were bad"... Only time in my life I bought the extended warranty, and it was a good thing.

In the mountains, going up I70 to the Eisenhower Tunnel in Colorado, I recall having the truck in FIRST gear, and going right around 25 mph with my foot to the floor. That wasn't unusual.

In 2005, I dumped the Dodge during the couple days when the check engine light was off and bought a Silverado Crew Cab diesel. TOTALLY different world. Going up the SAME I70 to the Eisenhower tunnel, with the new, heavier 5th wheel, it doesn't even downshift out of overdrive at 60 mph. And when you step on the brakes, it stops. As my wife said, the first time we had the combination in the mountains - "I feel FAR safer in this than I EVER felt in the half ton."

After 10 years and 180,000 miles, with over half of them towing a 5th wheel, we've changed oil, had the transmission serviced, flushed the radiator, finally put on new pads at 165,000 miles 'cause I just couldn't believe the original ones were still good (they were), and replaced a failing axle spindle. Other than routine maintenance it's been pretty problem free.

I don't like paying the ridiculous premium for the diesel, but as it stands it looks like I'll have a very difficult time ever going back to a gas engined truck, and there's even less chance I'd ever go back to a half ton, no matter WHAT insane towing rating the mfrs give them.
Old 02-25-2015, 06:12 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks so many good replies from people with experience with towing. I need to get the truck right before buying any TT of 5th wheel. Thanks
Old 02-25-2015, 05:41 PM   #23

You can add springs, you can add air bags, but sadly those additions will not make the wheel bearings, the frame, or the brakes larger.
I have towed some with 1/2/tons, 3/4 tons, and 1 ton dually (only 5th whl with 1 ton)
My 1 ton is far more stable towing anything than the others, but it should be, it is also a little over kill for my 5er, but it is 2 fingers steering even in cross wind.
My opinion, my 2 cents, be safe and have fun.
Old 02-27-2015, 08:53 AM   #24

A properly configured truck with a properly sized fifth wheel is the secret to make it work. Example: F150 Ecoboost with Max Tow can tow 11,000 lbs and has a payload of 1848 in my configuration. The HD Payload option takes the payload over 2000 lbs. For 2015, the numbers are even higher. While looking at fivers, I set a limit of 10K GVWR and a pin limit of 1400 lbs. In 12000 miles of towing it, I've never had handling or stopping issues.
This site indicates that the Ford half tons are the only one that pretty well match the actual safe towing specs: How Much Can A Half-ton Truck Tow Without Exceeding Ratings?
Buying a Ford half ton without adding the Max Tow and HD payload features really limits the capacity for fifth wheel towing. But the addition of those two options puts it pretty close to the F250 ratings so you can't just make blanket statements in favor of or against fifth wheel towing with a half ton; you have to get into the specifics of both the truck and the fiver.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 09:36 AM   #25

It's cheaper to buy an F250 gasser than it is to option out an F150 with Max Tow and HD packages. Just go to Fords "Build your own" site and build one. The F250 comes with several things that you have to pay extra for on the F150.

Biggest advantage to the F150 is mpg's when not towing. When towing it's a wash.
Old 02-27-2015, 11:16 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's cheaper to buy an F250 gasser than it is to option out an F150 with Max Tow and HD packages. Just go to Fords "Build your own" site and build one. The F250 comes with several things that you have to pay extra for on the F150.

Biggest advantage to the F150 is mpg's when not towing. When towing it's a wash.
The F150 will fly by the gasser F250 on the up hills. I do it all the time and I stay under 65 mph.
I never want to tow without turbos again. The article I posted above says that Ford half tons are the ONLY brand that can realistically tow fifth wheels.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 11:50 AM   #27

Send a message via AIM to DonaandDon
We have been full timing it (5yrs) with a 2008 5.7 Tundra TRD/SR5 towing a 2010 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS. I do stay away form the "mountains". We have been from Phoenix to Houston to Chicago to many places in between. Although it has 4-wheel disk brakes and can pull 10,500 you will be limited to just a couple of entry level 5r's. I too have low miles on my 1/2 ton and would like to trade to a bigger, better, newer, different floor plan, fifth wheel but my 1/2 ton has its limits. If I were to keep this RV the 1/2 ton has truly proven itself... 50,000 miles on the truck and still going.... Increased preventive maintenance when towing close to the trucks max limit goes for every truck.. Diesel or Gas.....
DonaandDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 03:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
The F150 will fly by the gasser F250 on the up hills. I do it all the time and I stay under 65 mph.
I never want to tow without turbos again. The article I posted above says that Ford half tons are the ONLY brand that can realistically tow fifth wheels.

It's not about how fast you can tow. It's how much you can carry. Your .5 ton is limited to smaller 5th wheels. The F250 gas can tow larger 5th wheels. And I'm sure they can tow them at 65mph. And I'm sure you let those guys you're passing know that you're racing them.

Reminds me of street light racing. Don't tell the car next to you that you want to race and punch it. Of course you'll win.

I bet you're a hoot to travel with. The family's probably saying their prayers all the way to the campground.

Tags
tow, towing