Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2015, 04:10 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
It's not about how fast you can tow. It's how much you can carry. Your .5 ton is limited to smaller 5th wheels. The F250 gas can tow larger 5th wheels. And I'm sure they can tow them at 65mph. And I'm sure you let those guys you're passing know that you're racing them.

Reminds me of street light racing. Don't tell the car next to you that you want to race and punch it. Of course you'll win.

I bet you're a hoot to travel with. The family's probably saying their prayers all the way to the campground.
LOL! No, I am not racing, just maintaining speed while they slow down. They pass me on the downhills. The difference in a maxed out F150 and an F250 is small enough that I've ordered an F350 Powerstroke. The DW tells me I drive too slow because I set cruise control at 62 and at 65 when not towing.

SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-27-2015, 04:26 PM   #30

If you follow the link I posted above, check the F150 fiver specs, then go to their 3/4 ton ratings, they rate the F250 at a few hundred under for fiver towing, but still close enough to consider them equals.
But I have been defending 1/2 ton fiver towing for 3 years based on my F150 experience. After looking at the fiver towing specs for other brand trucks, I understand why folks have been so down on the concept.

Old 02-27-2015, 04:44 PM   #31

I wouldn't do it on a bet. The 1/2 ton suspension just isn't there to give you stability in extreme conditions. On a good day you can get away with it but once you get in an abnormal situation the suspension won't handle emergency maneuvers, strong side winds, emergency stops, and etc.. You may be willing to take the risk but you are putting unwilling others in jeopardy. IMHO
DoggieDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:09 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieDaddy View Post
I wouldn't do it on a bet. The 1/2 ton suspension just isn't there to give you stability in extreme conditions. On a good day you can get away with it but once you get in an abnormal situation the suspension won't handle emergency maneuvers, strong side winds, emergency stops, and etc.. You may be willing to take the risk but you are putting unwilling others in jeopardy. IMHO
In 12,000 miles of towing my fiver across country and back, I have experienced all of that. I don't know what normal brake life is for my truck, but I did have to replace my front pads at 41,000 miles. Driving OK to Amarillo in 30 mph head and sometimes side winds was no picnic, but not a nail biter either. I was pleasant surprised how little the truck was affected by that or by semis blowing by me. However, prior to the F150, 9500 lb fiver experience, I towed a 5500 TT with a 2003 Tundra and that was a scary experience.
There seems to be an assumption that all half tons are alike and that is simply not the case.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:44 AM   #33

It can be done but your truck may not be suitable for towing. You'll want to check your max payload against pin weight of the trailer and consider everything you add to the truck and trailer front storage takes away from this number. Chevy half tons aren't really made for towing much but if you find a light enough trailer it can be done.

Ford is much better suited for the job with higher payloads/towing capacities and more power to make pulling more weight easier but with half tons there are always limits unless you can find a rare HD half ton that rivals f250 super duty and Chevy 2500 capacities.

Half ton towable 5ers push the limits of half tons, especially older ones with lower limits/less power. It can be done though, depending on how small you're willing to go on trailers although I think your truck will be an issue. With that low of towing capacity it likely doesn't have the tow package with large enough transmission or oil coolers and will cause you issues. You can add those aftermarket but the 5.3 really isn't made for towing and you'll likely get about 6-7mpg towing with it from my experience, especially if you have any hills to contend with.

My advice, get an f350 or 450 diesel and whatever trailer you want. The Fords ride 1000 times better than the Chevy hds and are more powerful with higher limits as well. Depending what trailer you want you might not need the extra but you can never have to much truck in my opinion. 5ers tow way better than travel trailers, but if money is an issue then you could get by with a smaller travel trailer and keep your current truck if you need to, but personally after towing a 5er I'd never go back to a tt.
Old 03-03-2015, 06:42 AM   #34

Newmar Owners Club
I have pulled with 1/2 tons and 3/4 and 1 tons. Pulled a small 5th with a new 1/2 ton and immediately went back to the dealer two weeks later and told him I bought the wrong truck. He took very little mercy on me but I went to a 3/4 and am glad I did. (Also went from gas to diesel) and solved any towing issues from then on. I don't think you will be well suited in the 1/2 ton if you ask me. good luck. mark
Old 03-03-2015, 10:18 AM   #35

Unless you get the HD F150 the rest of the 1/2 tons are maxed out when towing 5ers. I would be willing to be that 95% are at their limits. The so called 1/2 ton 5th wheels are doable when empty. Just look at the specs of them. Most have pin weights of 1200-1600lbs. That's exactly what the payload is for 95% of 1/2 ton trucks sold. So yes it's towable by a 1/2 ton. Problem is they don't tell you that it's only towable when it's empty.
Big downside to 1/2 tons is the RAWR is married to the GVW. Max one of them out and you're right at the other. Jump to a 3/4 ton and you get RAWR's that are higher than the GVW. As an example my 2500 CTD only has 2176lbs for payload. But my RAWR is 6200lbs. GVW is 9600lbs. Even with my lighter 5er I'm over the GVW by 200lbs. But the good part is that I'm well under both the RAWR and FAWR.
Can't do that with a 1/2 ton.
JMO but most manufactures of 1/2 ton towable 5th wheels tout them as 1/2 ton towable because the UVW is well under most 1/2 ton tow ratings. It's the pin weight that they don't want to talk about.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:36 AM   #36

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
We are selling our Class A motorhome and thinking of getting a small fifth wheel to tow behind my 1/2 ton pickup. I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado, 4wd, club cab with a 5.3 L engine with 3.73 gears. I am looking at a Rockwood 8244 that has a dry weight of around 6,600 lbs. My truck towing capacity is rated for 7,500 lbs. I have never towed a fifth wheel and wonder if my truck is suitable for the job. I would hate to trade my truck because it only 50k miles on it and looks like new. I would appreciate hearing from people that has had experience towing with a 1/2 ton.
First off, the pin weight is going to be more than the 1500 payload capacity of the truck when you get the trailer loaded. If you insist on towing a trailer get a TT, the hitch weight is about 10% of the total weight and an Equal-I-Zer brand WDH will keep the truck and trailer fairly close to level. Stick a 5er on the bed of that truck and the nose is going to get light and you will asking for trouble. So if you are insistent on pulling a 5er, upgrade the pickup.
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2015, 06:17 AM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
Thanks for all the good advise. We have ruled out considering towing a 5th wheel with our 1/2 ton. After reading all of the post it is evident that it would not do the job. We may step up to a 3/4 gas but then the debate becomes gas or diesel. The largest 5th wheel we would tow would be around 26' at 7,300 lbs. Rockwood and Jayco make a lightweight 5th wheel that are in this size. It would be just for the two of us and we like to move around a lot when we travel and not stay put in an RV park more than a week. We might also consider a TT if we find something that would work for us. Thanks, John
Old 03-04-2015, 10:18 AM   #38

You can get more trailer in a TT for less money. A 28' 5er will cost more than a 28' TT. Spend the 5er money on a TT and you can get a bigger better equipped TT.
Old 03-04-2015, 12:11 PM   #39

Coming in a bit late to this but as a 1/2T 5er driver I can offer this:

Truck is everything.

We have a factory ordered 2013 F150 Ecoboost with the max trailer package, limited slip & so forth. We tow our Rockwood 8289WKS/Diamond just fine - on flat ground, and in the "hills" folks East of the Mississipppi call "Mountains"

Never traveled to the Rockies or the Cascades - although I have a Canadian friend who has and reported no problems. The new 2015 F150 Ecoboost is even more impressive (aluminum body boosts towing and payload capacities).

OK 'nuff said on that subject. What I want to chat about now will have a greater effect on you & your enjoyment of the RV lifestyle.

You mention that you have fulltimed in a Class A for 4 years and never pulled a TT or 5er.

I have pulled both and can tell you flat out that coming from the stability of a Class A, you will absolutely hate a TT (unless it is R-Pod sized ) Even with the best of the anti-sway hitches you will have some sway and when a semi blows past you at 90MPS...well

A 5er will pull like a dream (especially if you put airbags on your truck) You will hardly know its there, and Semitruck vortex is almost non-existent (especially with the electronic anti-sway controls in a modern TV.

I joke with my Class A buddies that they have a "Camp" button on their rig. They get to the site, hit a button and the Autolevelers do their thing. Boom. Done. Hit another button and the slides are out. Pop the top off the beverage of your choice and you are camping.

5er (and TT) camping is different depending on the type of rig you have. The big rigs (that require a 1T class or better to tow) DO have "Camp" Buttons - and compete pretty well with a Class A (even to the point of actually having more square footage than even the biggest bus out there).

The type of 5er you will buy and tow with a 1/2 ton TV will be much less capable. You will have to manually level the rig, chock the tires (I recommend X-Chocks), drop the rear stabilization jacks, put up a Kingpin tripod - or preferably invest in JT Strongarms. I find that from parking and leveling side-to-side/unhitch to popping the top on that beverage is a 15-30 min job depending on circumstances.

Lots of folks will differ on this and setup issues...it was just in the 3 pages of discussions I did not see any discussion about the issues above and wanted to raise them to give you food for thought!

The whole gist of this is to have you realize that camp setup in these types of 5ers will consume a lot of time (and energy) compared to what you have been used to in the past 4 years of fulltiming.

Best of luck in your new RV adventures...happy to see you still plan on having a RV lifestyle after your fulltimer stint!!

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2015, 07:50 AM   #40

1/2 ton pulling 5th wheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
We are selling our Class A motorhome and thinking of getting a small fifth wheel to tow behind my 1/2 ton pickup. I have a 2007 Chevy Silverado, 4wd, club cab with a 5.3 L engine with 3.73 gears. I am looking at a Rockwood 8244 that has a dry weight of around 6,600 lbs. My truck towing capacity is rated for 7,500 lbs. I have never towed a fifth wheel and wonder if my truck is suitable for the job. I would hate to trade my truck because it only 50k miles on it and looks like new. I would appreciate hearing from people that has had experience towing with a 1/2 ton.
I called my Chevy dealer that I bought my truck from, I have a 3/4 ton Durmax engine Allison transmission, gave him my spec for trailer Solitude 379FL and he said I would be fine I didn't need to buy a 1 ton so if you know a dealer you trust give them a call.
Old 03-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmfulltimer View Post
I called my Chevy dealer that I bought my truck from, I have a 3/4 ton Durmax engine Allison transmission, gave him my spec for trailer Solitude 379FL and he said I would be fine I didn't need to buy a 1 ton so if you know a dealer you trust give them a call.
Old 03-06-2015, 06:12 PM   #42

Nor'easters Club
You should look into getting at least a 3/4 ton truck. I've had all 3, Ford, Dodge and Chevy. Chevy doesn't hold a candle to Ford or Dodge when it comes to heavy duty towing. If you look at Ford, look at 2011 and newer with the 6.7L diesel. Stay far away from the 6.4L and 6.0L... As for Dodge, they had a lot of tranny problems but since they started using the AISIN set up, I've heard they are holing up so Far.
I've had Ford then went with the other two because I got a deal. Then went back to Ford in 2012 with the 6.7L. I loved it so much I just bought a 2015 F350 6.7 with the new Turbo and exhaust brake. The new one is even better all the way around.

Tags
tow, towing