Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-07-2015, 07:17 AM   #43

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSVBamaBob View Post
Coming in a bit late to this but as a 1/2T 5er driver I can offer this:

Truck is everything.

We have a factory ordered 2013 F150 Ecoboost with the max trailer package, limited slip & so forth. We tow our Rockwood 8289WKS/Diamond just fine - on flat ground, and in the "hills" folks East of the Mississipppi call "Mountains"

Never traveled to the Rockies or the Cascades - although I have a Canadian friend who has and reported no problems. The new 2015 F150 Ecoboost is even more impressive (aluminum body boosts towing and payload capacities).

OK 'nuff said on that subject. What I want to chat about now will have a greater effect on you & your enjoyment of the RV lifestyle.

You mention that you have fulltimed in a Class A for 4 years and never pulled a TT or 5er.

I have pulled both and can tell you flat out that coming from the stability of a Class A, you will absolutely hate a TT (unless it is R-Pod sized ) Even with the best of the anti-sway hitches you will have some sway and when a semi blows past you at 90MPS...well

A 5er will pull like a dream (especially if you put airbags on your truck) You will hardly know its there, and Semitruck vortex is almost non-existent (especially with the electronic anti-sway controls in a modern TV.

I joke with my Class A buddies that they have a "Camp" button on their rig. They get to the site, hit a button and the Autolevelers do their thing. Boom. Done. Hit another button and the slides are out. Pop the top off the beverage of your choice and you are camping.

5er (and TT) camping is different depending on the type of rig you have. The big rigs (that require a 1T class or better to tow) DO have "Camp" Buttons - and compete pretty well with a Class A (even to the point of actually having more square footage than even the biggest bus out there).

The type of 5er you will buy and tow with a 1/2 ton TV will be much less capable. You will have to manually level the rig, chock the tires (I recommend X-Chocks), drop the rear stabilization jacks, put up a Kingpin tripod - or preferably invest in JT Strongarms. I find that from parking and leveling side-to-side/unhitch to popping the top on that beverage is a 15-30 min job depending on circumstances.

Lots of folks will differ on this and setup issues...it was just in the 3 pages of discussions I did not see any discussion about the issues above and wanted to raise them to give you food for thought!

The whole gist of this is to have you realize that camp setup in these types of 5ers will consume a lot of time (and energy) compared to what you have been used to in the past 4 years of fulltiming.

Best of luck in your new RV adventures...happy to see you still plan on having a RV lifestyle after your fulltimer stint!!
That is something I have thought about. With the class A we could setup or move out in 5 minutes. We like to move around a lot and the class A was great for that. Having a big rig sit in storage for a year in the hot Fl. sun, you start to worry about the drive train, big tires and all of the other stuff. Thinking a tow behind unit would be less headaches to care for.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 PM   #44

we are just getting into wanting to buy a fifth wheel maybe a jayco 35 to 38 foot will a 1 ton gas do the job

Old 03-09-2015, 04:36 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Jessica View Post
we are just getting into wanting to buy a fifth wheel maybe a jayco 35 to 38 foot will a 1 ton gas do the job
Possibly, ratings are much lower than a diesel so it depends on the trailer, but if you plan on towing far or often I'd get a diesel if you don't already have the truck
Old 03-09-2015, 08:34 PM   #46

Gas or diesel, I wouldn't want to tow without turbos again.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:54 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jadtif View Post
That is something I have thought about. With the class A we could setup or move out in 5 minutes. We like to move around a lot and the class A was great for that. Having a big rig sit in storage for a year in the hot Fl. sun, you start to worry about the drive train, big tires and all of the other stuff. Thinking a tow behind unit would be less headaches to care for.
well....If you get a - for lack of a term - would be a "Most-timers" rig, you can pretty much have all of the amenities of a Class A (you will just need to develop some backing skills )

This is OUR example and not a "buy this" comment - just showing you what is possible.

We are considering a 2015(6) Cedar Creak 38RD with the Washer/Dryer, 5.5KW Oanan Genny, and the Lippert 6 point auto levelers. Pairing it with a 2016 F350 King Ranch Diesel/Dually (when it comes out later this year).

So, when you get to camp, here's what you do:
  1. Park the 5er where you want it.
  2. Pull out the Cedar Creek remote (YES, remote ) push the Park button.
  3. The auto level system will lower the landing gear to a pre-set hitch-up height.
  4. Jump out of the cab and release the safety pin and latch and pull open the Kingpin jaws. Unplug the umbilical.
  5. Drive away, stop, pull out the remote and press the "Autolevel" button. Then press the "Slides" button and all your slides come out.
Short of hooking up water, elect, sewer and cable/SAT, you are camped!

BTW, I watched a demo of this at a rally and from the time they got the 5er on site to level & slides out *WAS* 5 min.

Hookup for rollout is similar - after the slides are in & everything stowed, press the hitch button and the autolevelers come up and the landing gear goes to the hitch-up height. Back the truck in, mate up, set the latch & safety pin, plug the umbilical, good-bye

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 01:59 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Jessica View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JethroHeller View Post
Possibly, ratings are much lower than a diesel so it depends on the trailer, but if you plan on towing far or often I'd get a diesel if you don't already have the truck
Jessica,

I am going with Jethro here - please be VERY careful!

Unless you are looking at a Ultralight (<35ft) [CF Rockwoods] probably not.

Without looking at the specs, just about any 35-38 ft 5er is going to weigh a bunch. You will be very close to max and the LAST thing you want when yanking 15-16K is to be on the edge...because remember, it's NEVER getting the Camper up to speed, it stopping safely in the case of a emergency

BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 06:36 AM   #49

Quote:
Jessica,
Without looking at the specs, just about any 35-38 ft 5er is going to weigh a bunch. You will be very close to max and the LAST thing you want when yanking 15-16K is to be on the edge...because remember, it's NEVER getting the Camper up to speed, it stopping safely in the case of a emergency
As a fan of 1/2 ton fiver towing, I would never encourage anyone to tow a fiver with a GVWR greater than 10,000 lbs and I really think that is the discussion here. This typically limits length to 34' and requires light weight construction. And, from what I have read of true capabilities, this will mean the truck is a Ford with a minimum of the Max Tow (11-12K towing) and better yet, the HD Payload option.
I base that recommendation on this:
How Much Can A Half-ton Truck Tow Without Exceeding Ratings?
Old 03-11-2015, 06:44 AM   #50

Quote:
well....If you get a - for lack of a term - would be a "Most-timers" rig, you can pretty much have all of the amenities of a Class A (you will just need to develop some backing skills )

This is OUR example and not a "buy this" comment - just showing you what is possible.

We are considering a 2015(6) Cedar Creak 38RD with the Washer/Dryer, 5.5KW Oanan Genny, and the Lippert 6 point auto levelers. Pairing it with a 2016 F350 King Ranch Diesel/Dually (when it comes out later this year).

So, when you get to camp, here's what you do:
  1. Park the 5er where you want it.
  2. Pull out the Cedar Creek remote (YES, remote ) push the Park button.
  3. The auto level system will lower the landing gear to a pre-set hitch-up height.
  4. Jump out of the cab and release the safety pin and latch and pull open the Kingpin jaws. Unplug the umbilical.
  5. Drive away, stop, pull out the remote and press the "Autolevel" button. Then press the "Slides" button and all your slides come out.
Short of hooking up water, elect, sewer and cable/SAT, you are camped!

BTW, I watched a demo of this at a rally and from the time they got the 5er on site to level & slides out *WAS* 5 min.

Hookup for rollout is similar - after the slides are in & everything stowed, press the hitch button and the autolevelers come up and the landing gear goes to the hitch-up height. Back the truck in, mate up, set the latch & safety pin, plug the umbilical, good-bye
LOL! As someone who has gone from backpacking and tent/car camping to popups, hybrids, travel trailers and finally, fifth wheels, this sounds way over the top to me. I don't mind taking a little extra time for leveling, etc since that is the least of the set up process anyway. I have an F350 PSD on order in anticipation of the extra weight of batteries and solar panels for boondocking with the current fiver, and for the extra weight of stronger construction and insulation on the next fiver.
Old 03-11-2015, 10:58 AM   #51

You'll need to stay under 14,000lbs with a 1 ton gasser. Payload will be great. I see a Ram 3500 6.4 CC LB 4x4 4.10 gears will get you a little over 15,000lbs for max tow rating. JMO but look for a dry weight stickered 5er around 11-12,000lbs. That way if you load about 1500lbs in it you'll be under the trucks tow rating.

The next question is where are you going to tow? If it's on the flats then the gas will work. If you're heading into hills or mtns then the gasser will be working hard and your mpg will get hit hard too. A diesel would be the better choice.
Old 03-11-2015, 01:06 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO there is still a bunch of confusion about towing capacity. It seems to me towing capacity is determined with a vehicle with the towing options and little else installed and driven by a jockey. It you look at the brochures they will also say that towing capacity is conditional that GVWR and GAWR are not to be exceeded.

By the time you add the bucket seats, 4 wheel drive, family of 4 and pets the towing capacity is less than advertised.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:59 AM   #53

The manufacturer's towing capacities web page is the place to start and the door jamb stickers give you the real numbers. The high up you go with a model, the less towing capacity. And Ford's capacity page distinguishes between 2WD and 4WD as far as capacity.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:43 AM   #54

My dad had a 2008 GMC 1500 with the 5.3. Its rated at 7500 lbs and he tows AND stops a 2002 keystone springdale 5ver that grosses at 7500 lbs. He doesn't win any races but loaded for 9 days of dry camping he has no problems at all. Yes he only drives 2 hours away but as I said he has never had any issues starting or stopping or controlling his rig. Just wanted to share another 1/2 ton 5vr towing experience. Take from it what you wish.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:32 PM   #55

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
More truck than you need is not a bad problem ...
Safe-T-Plus
Pa Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 10:58 AM   #56

I decided to trade my 2011 Silverado 1500 for the 2015 Ram 1500 w/hemi. What a difference 80hp and more torque makes. The Ram has a tow rating 10,000+ lbs. and I think it would tow it all day long. My Silverado had 315hp and tow rating of 9600lbs and it struggle towing my 7000lb toy hauler.
The 8 speed trans. and 32 gallon gas tank add to the pleasure of towing, I am no longer stressed in traffic and the Ram seems to handle the towing much better.

safari1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing