Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 11-08-2015, 01:32 PM   #1
Towing Boat with Cougar 27RKS??

I'm new to this forum and we just got into 5th wheels a short time ago. We're learning lots about it but have a long way to go so would greatly appreciate your thoughts on towing a 4000lb boat behind this specific line of 5th wheels.

I want to tow our Ranger 18' fiberglass boat behind a 5th wheel and wondering if anyone has towed a boat with the Keystone Cougar 27RKS (or anything shorter) in this Cougar XLite. It has a much beefier frame then the Rockwood Ultralight that I bought...big mistake there that I'm trying to work out with the dealer I bought it from. That's another story....

The Forest River Rockwood Signature Ultra-lite is a great trailer and hate to see it go but that frame is too light and would need a lot of work. So instead of spending the money to beef up that frame which would likely max the axel ratings when all was said and done I've decided just to sell that and buy another. Hence why I'm posing this question to you all.

We're in CO where we can tow up to 70' in length (I'll be just under) and our TV is a 2015 Chevy 2500HD with the Duramax and Allison transmission. With a 4.10 rear end we have a 20,000lb tow capacity. The weak spot is our hitch which is a 16,000 lbs hitch but we'll only be running at less than 14,000lbs.

Thanks for your thoughts on this.

CashRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #2
Towing behind fifth wheel.

Towing a boat trailer behind a fifth wheel is not legal in many States, so before you travel make sure you know the traffic rules in the States you plan to visit.

luckyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 05:51 AM   #3
It looks like in CO you are allowed as long as the two trailers don't exceed 42 foot..

Towing World Official Website

I don't know your weights but I think you will have to revisit your TV as well.. I think I would want a set of dualies..
2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T
grassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 08:22 PM   #4
Thanks for the thoughts.
Old 11-11-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
I have seen several setups like you are wanting to go with--as long as it is legal in CO, and you only tow in states that allow it, I would think you have enough truck to do it. Brakes/lights on both of course.
What does Keystone say about it? Bet they don't sanction it, tho...
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites
'10 F450 new to me
'09 F450 Lariat 4x4--died
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:16 AM   #6
Yeah, Keystone and a lot of RV manufactures won't acknowledge that it is ok to do so. In fact, was told it will void Keystone's warranty when we put the receiver on. So I'm going delay that installation for a few months given we're coming into winter.

Agreed that brakes and lights are extremely important. Also will be installing a camera on the back of the 5th so to monitor.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:54 AM   #7
I tow a 16' boat behind my Dutchmen quite often. Just make sure you have a decent hitch on, brakes if required, and a light hook up. A camera is a great thing to have also. I have my camera set to run continuous so I can see the boat and even what is behind it. About the only thing to watch for is to make sure you can pull out when you stop somewhere. With my set-up when I turn a corner the rear overhang makes the boat follow the tracks of the fiver. In other words if the fiver clears the boat will too.

1996 Dodge CTD auto, #100 fuel plate,advanced timing,upgraded turbo, 2006 Dutchmen 28' 5th wheel with a 12' slide out and 16' boat behind it all
MnTom is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing