Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2012, 12:19 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdryheat View Post
Perhaps watching a few episodes of Ice Road Truckers, lol.

Yeah, do what Hugh does and by time you get to where you are going, you have nothing left of your trailer but the frame.

I am a member of the sit tight and wait it out crowd. I have no experience towing in those conditions, so I'd rather be safe in a CG then pulling my 5er in that kind of weather.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM   #16

I should have went south sooner

Old 10-12-2012, 11:55 PM   #17

Drive smoothly with no sudden changes if on ice or snow. Be careful with cruise control. The transmission may downshift on an incline to maintain speed and this might cause the rear wheels to break traction. Fifth wheels tend to put more weight on the truck and they tow quite nicely even under slippery conditions. It is wise to slow down. Another suggestion is to make sure to wash your truck and RV off as soon as possible. I made a mistake of bringing a new fifth wheel back home without washing right away. The trip was about 400 miles of slush, ice, and snow. It was -20. I left the fifth wheel unwashed for a few weeks until the weather warmed up. Rust started so quickly. Next time I would take the unit to a truck wash and rinse off even the undercarriage after the trip.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:20 AM   #18

I've hit small patches road ice, twice, and luckily was able to ride it out. No sudden actions such as touching the brakes. I will carry chains for the fifth but there are times there are small patches of ice in a shady spot when the rest of the road is dry and clear. I think the best thing to do is to watch the outside temps.

Being retired I am never in a hurry so if there is a chance of snow or ice we just wait until the roads are clear. Better to be late than never.
Greytraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #19
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasum View Post
Drive smoothly with no sudden changes if on ice or snow. Be careful with cruise control. The transmission may downshift on an incline to maintain speed and this might cause the rear wheels to break traction. Fifth wheels tend to put more weight on the truck and they tow quite nicely even under slippery conditions. It is wise to slow down. Another suggestion is to make sure to wash your truck and RV off as soon as possible. I made a mistake of bringing a new fifth wheel back home without washing right away. The trip was about 400 miles of slush, ice, and snow. It was -20. I left the fifth wheel unwashed for a few weeks until the weather warmed up. Rust started so quickly. Next time I would take the unit to a truck wash and rinse off even the undercarriage after the trip.
I agree with you except I believe that the cruise control and exhaust/jake brake is a real NO NO on slick road (even just wet, especially right after a long dry spell) with or with out a trailer.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
towing