Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #1
towing in snow/ icy conditons

Getting ready to go south in Nov from Wash. Just thinking - if caught in snow/icy conditions on I-5, would it be advisable to turn off trailer brakes ? One would not want the rig to begin any kind of slide. Slow down and let truck handle slowing/braking alone ? Would light trailer brakes be better ?

Watching weather carefully and stopping until clearing of course is the best solution. But, if caught unexpectedly, what is the advise from experienced drivers ?

rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #2
iRV2 No Limits Club
We towed our '97 Jeep GC through Portland on I-5 just after they re-opened it on the way to Quartzsite some years ago (I-5 had been closed earlier in the day due to ice and snow). We had the RoadMaster BrakeMaster air activated unit on the Jeep. It acted very well and actually helped keep the MH straight as it seemed the Jeep brakes applied before the MH. I was impressed at how well it worked. Passed quit a few cars in the ditch, some people were just climbing out of the cars so they just must have crashed.

2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
You do not want the trailer brakes disabled. If it tries to pull out and pass use the manual controller to snub the brakes and force it back where it belongs. As you slow down for icy conditions re adjust the controller to reduce the braking action. Whatever you do DON'T panic and lock everything up.
RoyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 10:05 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I feel the 5th wheel helps stabilize our truck....
even though we have factory traction control, unloaded in the wet it would handle less admirably than I wanted, but with the 5th on it today in storms, it was planted !
If you really are sad and think nobody cares, just try missing a few payments ! '11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a Demco Excali-Bar II hitch which is pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport.
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 12:10 AM   #5
don't forget that in Cali, if the chain controls are on, you have to chain up the truck AND trailer
VanDiemen23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
x2 on keeping the trailer brakes working, if properly adjusted will actually help you should the truck drive wheels start to slide. Personally I would plan my trip so I go thru potential icy/snow spots only during the warmest parts of the day, even if it means holing up in a motel or rv park for an extra night or two. Even with plenty of experience of driving big rigs I still try to stay off the roads when they are icy, don't need someone less experienced causing a problem.
tatonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 09:39 AM   #7
Both ODOT and CALTRANS will require drag chaine in bad weather. In November you should not see much but rain down I5. But if it does turn ugly, plan to park around Medford until the road conditions clear. Valley of the Rogue state park is open year round and a good place to hold up for a couple of days if necessary
Don and Lorri
2007 Dodge 3500 dually
Resident Dummy.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #8
Thanks to all for advice. Mess I got is do not turn off trailer bakes; adj for conditions and use manual to straighten if needed.

Thanks to all responders
rrray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:14 AM   #9
I agree with the others. Be sure to carry a set of chains for the trailer as well. I know in Wa. (and probably in other states) when traction tires are required for cars, chains are required for all rigs with trailers including at least 1 chain on the trailer. It is JMo, but with 4 wheel drive I only use it when I need it to go . The rest of the time I take it out. If you break any of the tires loose (especially going down hill) they all are sliding and you can't stear it. ( how do I know that?)

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:23 PM   #10
I have driven in snow & slush conditions once with a 5th wheel trailer. I have a lot of miles under my belt driving in all kinds of weather, & driving all kinds of vehicles. Now having said that, I will never again drive my 5th wheel trailer in those conditions again. As a matter of fact, as i am retired I am now seldom in such a hurry to go or get anywhere, I would strongly recommend you just pull over somewhere until the driving conditions improve. If you have never driven a trailer in those conditions you do not have the ability or knowledge to be on the road trying to do it. JMHO.

38ft Snowvilla. Triple Glides. 2010 Ram 3500 CC Dually. to tow anywhere, anytime.
!!!!!! "RETIRED" !!!!!!.
Arctic Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Wow, being somewhat of a newbie, I haven't encountered icy conditiions...yet. Learned a lot. Thanks!
Pawjam3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #12
When towing in snow/ice you need to have at least 1 braking axle on the trailer chained. While I perfer not to tow in bad weather, I have when I had too.
Alie & Jim 2009 CarriLite Max1
Volvo Dually Pickup
My keyboard is faster than yours
rollondown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 05:39 PM   #13
Perhaps watching a few episodes of Ice Road Truckers, lol.
2009 Chevy 2500HD Duramax
2008 Everest 305T
azdryheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 10:03 PM   #14
If you know it is there, don't go. If you don't know it is there and encounter it, just pull over and wait for the road to clear. And be sure to carry a set of chains for both the truck and the trailer. Les Schwab will sell you chains in October and buy them back in April if you did not use them. And you may encounter snow in a lot of places, not just over the Siskyous, this winter.

Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote