Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2018, 01:18 PM   #1

Towing level

Interested in whether anyone has had a problem towing level with 2017/2018 F350 CC SD 4x4 using a B&W Companion hitch. If so, please advise what solution works. I understand that the newer trucks are somewhat higher. We will be towing a Arctic Silver Fox 27-5L.

Appreciate any comments. Thanks!
olyshed is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2018, 06:03 AM   #2

I have an 07 Chevy 2500 HD with the companion. I am 3 inches high in the nose. I have traveled around 9,000 miles. No problems so far. I can get it level but then I hit the box rails.

I am going to start pulling it with a HDT Freightliner. It sits the same way. 3 inches high.
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:39 AM   #3
JDT

We have a Trailer Saver BD3 hitch, no Companion, but did have one several years ago. If I remember right there were several height adjustment holes available. Our truck before the Ford was a GMC 3500 dually and we sat barely nose high but not enough to matter. With the Ford I had to put the BD3 at its lowest setting and, again, just a bit nose high. The Ford is definitely taller. I do have good clearance between the bed rails and the nose of the Winslow.

One issue to consider is whether or not the truck has the puck system. Ours has it and without thinking about it, I bought a Reese adapter to mount the BD3. The Reese adapter adds 3 3/8 inches to the height. If I had it to do over, and I will at some point, I would have gotten the Demco 6175 adapter for Ford which sits 1 7/8 inches above the bed. In fact, I may do that before the season is over. With it I think I could be sitting totally level.

The best thing would be to get a hitch made for the puck system. That way you don't have to deal with the added height of an adapter.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 08:08 AM   #4

I moved from an older dodge ram to a new one... my RV was 3" low to provide the proper clearance for the bed... my companion hitch was adaptable to the new truck....

I had to install a 3" spacer... 2" wide, x 3" tall x 8" long tube with 1/4" wall... we installed a male pin to intersect with the spring parts and a female hole to rest over the pin on the springs... (to center the spacer)

I had to upgrade the u-bolts from 1/2 to 9/16" and get them longer to accommodate the longer reach... it was a simple task, easy to do and didn't cost much... the key for me was I wanted the RV to run down the road level so that we had equal weight on the trailer axles and that we didn't strike the bed...

I found the U-bolts on Amazon, found the correct width and length from one of their suppliers...

I now currently have about 7" between the bed and bottom of the RV...
Old 04-21-2018, 08:54 AM   #5

The correct track wheel alignment system from Lippert will raise your FW at the suspension as well.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenandjon View Post
I have an 07 Chevy 2500 HD with the companion. I am 3 inches high in the nose. I have traveled around 9,000 miles. No problems so far. I can get it level but then I hit the box rails.

I am going to start pulling it with a HDT Freightliner. It sits the same way. 3 inches high.
Why you towing high on the Freightliner? I can raise or lower my hitch as needed.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 07:38 PM   #7

I have it in the lowest setting but I had to mount the 5th wheel on top of the frame. There is no room to drop it between the frame rails because my axle is in the way. I didn't want to extend the frame rails. Click image for larger version

Name:	0425181652a.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	203139
06 forest river Cardinal 34 TS towed by 03 freightliner Columbia HDT 435 hp 60 series Detroit, 10 speed, 3:55 gears with full locker. 260 inch wheel base. I am a Father, Farmer, and A Trucker.
jenandjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 06:21 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I moved from an older dodge ram to a new one... my RV was 3" low to provide the proper clearance for the bed... my companion hitch was adaptable to the new truck....

I had to install a 3" spacer... 2" wide, x 3" tall x 8" long tube with 1/4" wall... we installed a male pin to intersect with the spring parts and a female hole to rest over the pin on the springs... (to center the spacer)

I had to upgrade the u-bolts from 1/2 to 9/16" and get them longer to accommodate the longer reach... it was a simple task, easy to do and didn't cost much... the key for me was I wanted the RV to run down the road level so that we had equal weight on the trailer axles and that we didn't strike the bed...

I found the U-bolts on Amazon, found the correct width and length from one of their suppliers...

I now currently have about 7" between the bed and bottom of the RV...

Wait, you spaced the axle 3 inches further away from the springs? That's a BAD BAD idea. You just gave the axles the ability to twist easier adding stress to the springs.

Did you put longer shocks on or move the mounts down?
quartlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #9

I just lowered my truck.......free..
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing