Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Towing to Death Valley

Has anyone towed from SoCal to Stovepipe Wells? What is the best route with the least climbing?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-26-2014, 09:00 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
We traveled form the west into Death Valley 2 weeks ago on RT 190 with a 39 foot MH towing a Jeep. I would not do it again. The first valley encountered was a 6% -8% sharp curve down grade for approx. 8 miles to 1200 feet elevation. Then you have to climb out of the valley on steep long grade (30 mph) to approx. 4000 feet. Then you have to descend into Death Valley with the same steep down grades as the first.

I would come in form the East on RT 190 gradual incline and decline. We came out on RT 190 traveling East.

Safe travels and THE JOY IS IN THE RIDE.

RV735 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 PM   #3

Yep, that's where a lot of manufacturers run brake fluid boil tests. The road from Townes Pass down to Stovepipe Wells is 17 miles long with avg grade of 7%. There is a standardized test procedure that is used by several companies.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:22 AM   #4

Pahrump, NV to Bishop,CA

On the way to OR (40 ft DP w/ toad), I was planning on going from Pahrump,NV to Bishop, CA via Death Valley. We've never been to DV and thought it would be a good chance to go.

Sounds like I should rethink my route?
Old 03-27-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjackson View Post
On the way to OR (40 ft DP w/ toad), I was planning on going from Pahrump,NV to Bishop, CA via Death Valley. We've never been to DV and thought it would be a good chance to go.

Sounds like I should rethink my route?
Not necessarily. DV is worth seeing. Just be careful on the long downhill. Use your engine brake and gears and you'll be fine. If your toad is 4wd there is some great stuff to see off the paved roads.
jmckinley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:17 AM   #6

We towed a 40 foot 5er from the coast with a F350. There are two 5000 foot grades that go all the way down to zero on the other side. Going up you have opportunities to pull over and take a breath. We went to Furnace Creek because of the full hookups. Besides the grades, make sure you have plenty of fuel because it can cost nearly $6/gallon for diesel. Also be sure to stock up on supplies because everything is expensive on there.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:35 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What time of the year are you planning to do the trip?
Old 03-27-2014, 11:46 AM   #8

Were in DV in Feb, drove from Pahrump to DV (and back) with MH with toad, no issues at all. Stayed at NPS Furance Creek campground with full hookups. Worth the trip. Like others said, take your supplies, items are very expensive in DV.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #9

Towing to Death Valley

Thanks for your input everyone...given me pause for thought. Maybe drive the F-250 out there 1st and take a look before we attempt it.
Old 03-27-2014, 12:06 PM   #10

Next month
Old 03-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Alan... what part of Sou Cal are you coming from? If you come up Hwy 14 to 395, you can miss one of these grades (the one going down to Panamint Springs) by taking Hwy 178 through Ridgecrest and Trona. But you'll still have to go up and over Townes Pass If coming up I-15, just go north out of Baker. That road has very little grades.

kjackson...It really just depends upon your comfort level with mountain driving. I live in this area and have made the trip from Pahrump to Ridgcrest in our previous mh (36' DP) several times, and it was not a problem. Of course, I am familiar with the road so I could anticipate and be prepared for what was ahead.

190 does have the two mountain ranges that you have to go over...but the road is just fine (the grade out of Panamint Springs is very curvy) and if you take your time, use your engine brake...you'll be just fine. Going westward, the only down grade is the west side of Towne's pass. I never allowed my mh to get over 30mph on this section.

However, if you don't feel comfortable with this type of mountain driving, you'll be better off if you just go down to Baker and take I-15 to Barstow and then Hwy 395 on up to Bishop.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #12

From Parump to Bishop, go into DV from the east side. Stop at furnace creek CG and watch the video of what to see. Neat place. If you want to experience absolute silence camp at Texas CYN. No GENERATORS OR RADIOS ALLOWED. Valley floor is fairly flat up to Scotty's castle. Go back east to 95 north to 6 and then to Bishop. Don't miss the Railroad museum at Laws, 6 miles out of Bishop. 190 east is definitely a trial. I am a local and once was enough for me.
Old 03-31-2014, 08:43 AM   #13

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan G View Post
Next month
My wife and I are the hosts at Furnace Creek NPCG. We are leaving April 15 because we anticipate it getting too hot by then to stay here in an rv. Most of this CG is scheduled to shut down then. A lot of the seasonal people have already left. We will be going back to Vegas then back this way for Bishop Mule Days in May and traveling thru Stovepipe Wells/Lone Pine. We haven't traveled it before but I have been over a lot of passes in CO. and have a new Duramax. Use your best Judgement as to the capabilities of your tow vehicle.
You didn't say what part of next month you will be coming thru but be aware that the temps could be well above 100 by then.

Good luck and have fun

Tags
towing