Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 10-18-2016, 01:27 PM   #1
Towing with a 1/2 ton truck?

I am wondering if anyone is towing with a Ford F-150 or maybe a Dodge 1500? Too much weight for the bed?

bigdomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2016, 02:09 PM   #2
Thor Owners Club
Carolina Campers
I started with a F-250 gasser and was good for 12,200lbs and it pulled my Montana High Country ok on the flat but after pulling it on the flat for a few trips I decided I made a mistake because a lot of where we wanted to go was out west in the mountains and there was no way I was going to go down hill without truck enough. I went with the F-350 DRW and just got back from a trip to Colo. and now no I made the right choice. It was the stopping that worried me. It is so much nicer driving now that I don't have the stress of waiting for that jerk to pull out in front of me and being able to stop. It would have to be a pretty lite weight 5er that is for sure.

2016 F-350 DRW 4x4- B&W Turnover Ball with Andersen Ultimate Hitch
2016 305RL Montana High Country, with Mich. XPS Ribs
roothoss1282 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:53 PM   #3
as long as you stay within the weight limits and towing capacity of your truck you should be OK. I have to believe with all the scrutiny that the Big 3 auto companies come into about safety, they are not going to rate a truck where if you are in all the guidelines of that truck you will be towing a unsafe vehicle. I read something today that made me wonder....I tow with a 2500 gasser and I try to not go over 60 miles an hour. I am constantly being passed by rigs being pulled by a dually 3500 or a large motorhome and ST rated tires are only rated at 65 MPH. I pull fine at the rated speeds...
George & Deb
2015 Alpine 3011RE
2015 silverado HD
gnirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 03:11 PM   #4
Depends entirely on the rig you go with. Look at the ultralight from various brands. Highland Ridge has one that is like 7300 unloaded with a hitch weight of something like 1200 which should be well within the F150 specs.

You'll just have to be careful not to overload the truck and trailer with cargo and exceed your cargo carrying capacity in either.
Brandonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
There are a lot of benefits towing with a bigger diesel, not just speed but safety. I rarely go over 60 in my 3500 but I wouldn't trade the comfort and ease of towing plus the benefits of the exhaust brake and big alternator. If you have the option, go for a big diesel. Good gas mileage, cheaper gas, good reliability and a much better towing experience.
FaithBowls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 05:16 PM   #6
I tow a 6000# trailer with my 1500 Chevy with no problems. I have the HD model which comes with the tow package. The big issue is, as has been stated previously, match the trailer to the truck. Don't buy a 35' FW or a 10,000# TT. Plenty of us do it and you can too with a little common sense.
2012 Silverado 5.3L 6 Speed
2010 Dutchmen 24 FB-SL
Curt 10,000# WDH
aguablanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 06:12 PM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I started towing with a 6 cyl short box GMC Work Truck

I put on a trans cooler & used a cheap Weight Distribution Hitch. It was OK at 55mph, or so, with a 3K trailer. But, it just was not safe above 55

Traded that, bought a GMC tow rated at 9400 lbs, bought a 4200 lb trailer, got a Hensley Hitch.....now.....I feel safe.

Get the right rig, be comfortable, enjoy the ride.
Stuart, Fl
Deny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2016, 09:58 AM   #8
We purchased a Ram 1500 4x4 rated at 8050 for towing. To get to 10000 the only difference for the 1500 is the rear end ratio. We are looking at lite 5th wheels coming in at 8000 lbs. Being on the east coast I do not see a problem with pulling with a 1500. If we were doing the western states, a different story. I think making sure your tires, shocks/suspension and hitch set up are top shelf a 1500 would work if you don't go too big. Before I get in a jam with anyone...I drove over the road for 40 years and know a little about towing/pulling. After seeing good RV rigs an the road and bad...my theory is match your 5th wheel to your tow vehicle and your driving ability and travels will be safe and fun...what it is all about now.

sejac55 is offline   Reply With Quote

tow, towing