Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-15-2018, 10:11 AM   #1

Towing with toys between cab and 5th wheel

Anybody do this? I am thinking I could get an f450 or equivalent with a 192 inch wheel base and use the space as I see fit. For me, thats an ATV parked up there. I think I have to get a 450 and up because best I can tell you cant get a wheel base that long on a 350.

Oh by the way this would be a flatbed so another concern is height but one thing at a time I guess.

Any thoughts
maypo050770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2018, 10:59 AM   #2

I'm having trouble picturing what you are proposing. Is that wheelbase long enough to put the 5th hitch over the rear wheels and still have room for your ATV? I can't imagine the ATV is low enough to have the 5th swing over it so you may have some clearance issues with the cap of the 5th hitting the ATV. There are some pretty nice toyhauler 5th wheels out there if this plan won't work.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:10 AM   #3

Well, im not sure. Lets assume a regular cab. The wheel base is 145.3. From the cab to the rear axle is 60. The 193.3 wheel base has 108" from the cab so I am adding 4 feet of space. If I'm doing this right the 5th wheel cap shouldn't be anywhere near the ATV provided it isn't more than 4 feet wide. The ATV could be 10 feet high, know what I mean? As long as it isn't more than 4 feet wide
maypo050770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 11:22 AM   #4

ThisClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20181214_121819347.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	229069....sits sideways on a tiltable platform ......I load from over the passenger side, then lower that side of the platform to bed floor( minus a few inches).....do to the scooters low frame, my 3 ramps are each 14' long that come apart at the 7' length...I made mounts under the trailer where I carry them and they're higher then the electric stabilizer.....scoots a little underpowered, so I use an ATV remote operated winch from Harbor Freight to load and unload...really easy to do as I can walk up and down a ramp to control steering......this setup has been all over US without a flaw, and here in Yuma, makes an easy way to tour the area...and as my sig says, I use a slider....and they do make over the cab affairs, but kinda $$$$.......Oh, this 2500 has an 8' bed and the winch is bolted to the bed floor
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2018, 08:37 PM   #5

Wheelbase is not relevant, cab to axle C/A distance is.

I have 84" C/A, 11'4" deck, crew cab and carry a 36" fueltank/toolbox combo across the width of the deck, it is an awfully long truck. I still have some 36" between the pin and the toolbox and can still make nearly 90 deg. turns without touching but I also have a curved nose cone on the trailer. If I would carry a 42" wide quad instead of the combo I would still be ok because the quad wouldn't go across the entire width of the deck if parked perpendicularly. I suggest you talk to an upfitter before you order any truck and explain what you're planning to do and also rig up a 2x4 that's connected to the kingpin, measure 51" out from the center of the pin and draw a circle to see how far the corner of the nose cone would swing. If your nose cone is curved even better, that should give you a few more degrees for a tighter turn. I hope this makes sense. Let me know if you would like more precise measurements and pictures I can get them tomorrow.
Btw.: You may be ok with a F450 cab/chassis but be aware the F450 pickup has a notoriously low payload capacity.
Old 12-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #6

It’d be easier to do a bumper pull travel trailer and have the entire bed for toys or just get a toyhauler.
Joe11 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, tow, towing