Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-01-2015, 04:45 PM   #15

Jayco Owners Club
I'm seeing a Maxxis option on a couple of the new TTs I'm looking at. They normally come with 15" wheels and Chinese tires. When I buy next year, I'll be doing the 16" Maxxis option for sure. I got new Maxxis tires this year on my current trailer, and found 2 of the 3 Towmax tires I replaced were separating. I had replaced one already, last year, due to the same problem. Yep, it's all about the money..

schrederman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-01-2015, 06:31 PM   #16

Bill,
Our 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3160EL came factory with Sailun ST235/85R16 with Metal Stems. Are you sure about the tires on yours? Tires were a concern when we were going to purchase and we were told by Heartland, they no longer used the TowMax tires. Maybe it's just the Bighorn?

KerrTx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 09:30 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Just a warning...the Michelin XPS Rib tires will be much heavier if you are taking the old wheels/tires off you trailer like I did. I threw the old China bomb wheel/tires in my truck and took them to the tire place. These tires were easy to toss around.

When I got the new XPS Ribs mounted on my same wheels holy cow. They were not easy to toss around as they were much much heavier. It took all I had to muscle the wheel/tire back onto the hub. By the 4th tire/wheel I was worn out.
Real tires do weigh a lot more than cheap junk.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:34 AM   #18

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
Bill,
Our 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3160EL came factory with Sailun ST235/85R16 with Metal Stems. Are you sure about the tires on yours? Tires were a concern when we were going to purchase and we were told by Heartland, they no longer used the TowMax tires. Maybe it's just the Bighorn?
Yep, I'm sure. I went to the dealer the other day to check and the tires on my rig are Towmax. The service manager was aware of the "Blowmax" tires reputation. I have been searching the internet for a good replacement but have seen negatives about most trailer tires. The GY Marathon are made in China also and have about as many negative comments as the Towmax. Today I'm going to stop by Big O tires and talk to them. At least a tire from them will have a good warranty. It is a shame you spend $60,000 on a rig and the first thing you have to do is spend another $1000 or more to replace the new tires.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:40 AM   #19

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
Yep, I'm sure. I went to the dealer the other day to check and the tires on my rig are Towmax. The service manager was aware of the "Blowmax" tires reputation. I have been searching the internet for a good replacement but have seen negatives about most trailer tires. The GY Marathon are made in China also and have about as many negative comments as the Towmax. Today I'm going to stop by Big O tires and talk to them. At least a tire from them will have a good warranty. It is a shame you spend $60,000 on a rig and the first thing you have to do is spend another $1000 or more to replace the new tires.

Absolutely stay away from the Goodyear Marathons. They are China bombs big time. If you want the best get the Goodyear G614 RST commercial trailer tires. The Sailun S637 are a STRONG runner up. I wouldn't consider ANY other trailer position (ST) tire.

As to your Towmax tires, put them on craigslist. Some contractor will want them for his dump trailer. I got $100 for mine off my last RV.
Old 09-03-2015, 09:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post

I would be surprised if your dealer wouldn't be able to change the tires before you buy the trailer and work them into the deal.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:19 AM   #21

Your dealer can pass on their discount if you ask. Find out who they use for tires, and get the brand you want, plus money for your take-offs.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
ok, I have a question. About the Goodyear G614's, the only size they show is 16 inch tires. Are the 15" tires stuck with the Marathon? I was thinking about the d rated tires on my home. I am making a trip in the next three weeks.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 07:12 PM   #23

Forest River Owners Club
Yes, the 614's only come in the one 16" size. Other than swapping rims, the best route with a 15" setup is going to Maxxis tires.
Old 09-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #24

Any brand LT that will handle the weight load is better than any ST... as long as you have a 16 inch rim or larger...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:25 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Right now i am getting ready for a one-way trip of about 1000 miles. It will be close to the max limit of the tires. Weird that the tires that are recommended for this 5th wheel are under the max weight of the trailer. Like over 1/2 ton. I am going with d rated rto get the weight over the max of the trailer and maybe i won't have any issues with the trailer. Most of the trip is back country roads. Not breaking any speed records so i should be ok for the one trip. I am quitting travel after this trip. I am getting too busted up to do the things i would normally do. I also need to be down off the mountains and i am getting a place in the almost sea level area. I love the lifestyle. Been fulltiming for over 17 years now. I will be staying in the 5th wheel but i am planning to hang up the spurs for good. I just hope these tires will do the trick.
Old 09-05-2015, 12:53 PM   #26

Dan you can figure 10% (or more) of the trailer weight goes on the truck, so you might not be overloaded. I have the Maxxis 15 inch tires on my TT and they are a quality tire. Mine were actually made in Thailand.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:38 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
So you are saying that 8100 pounds is 81 pounds at the hitch?? I was figuring about 1000 pds on the hitch. Thinking about 71 hundred on the tires. The funny (if you can call it that) is that the trailer is 8100 max load. the 205/75r15 c load tires are too light for that max load. So i went to St tires of 8 ply 225/75r15 as it can handle more than the trailer weight. Maybe i am wrong but more plys for more weight than what the manufacturer calls for is better than under. I don't see a maxxis dealer in my area. I could go with Lt tires but hard to find a trailer type tread pattern. Going slower and pace out the roads i shouldn't have many issues i hope. Like i said, only one trip. 1000 miles at low speeds My thinking is that they should work. I guess i will find out. Dan
Old 09-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #28

You got your decimal place off a little. Hitch weight would be at the minimum 810, probably is a lot more than that, actually probably closer to 20 percent. I ordered my Maxxis tires and had them put on at a local tire shop.

Tags
tires, tow