Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2015, 09:01 AM   #43

You'll like the Maxxis tires. Mine are holding up very well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #44

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hehe, They goofed. I wanted 8 ply(E). I ended up with 10 Ply(f). He gave me them for the same price. His goof. Now i have a Lightweight or ultra light trailer, 6100 pds with 8100 max. With 7000 pd axles and f rated tires for over 10 thousand pds...I think i will try for the, O say 7000 pd range. And i am on more back roads than highways or interstates. I should be ok for this trip. Two weeks! Have one other thing to do yet and thats the timing chain and gear set. I have driven this thing on and off for ten years before i bought it. Seems that it is getting sluggish. Did tuneup and still sluggish. He can't remember ever putting one in it so i will be smart and replace it.I have been using some more oil than i used to . Am thinking it could be so sloppy that it has ground the metal thin on the timing chain cover. Have had that happen before. That done and a good gof and trans oil change and it should be good to go as well. Anyway, Thanks for the help on the tires. I feel better than with some of the other tires out there. The ones on this unit a friend wanted them for his wagon he uses to feed the cattle. Put them on and when he headed to the gate, Two of them shed the tread!!! Glad i took the tires off and took it to the tire man!! I wouldn't have made it at all!! Thanks again, Dan

Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2015, 09:40 PM   #45

The ten ply tires are E rated. I have had the maxxis for three years now. They seem to be doing the job unlike the Carlisles which didn't make it through the first year. My Maxxis tires have about 16,000 miles on them so far ( just finished a 8,000 mile trip).

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 02:01 PM   #46

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTx View Post
Bill,
Our 2016 Heartland Bighorn 3160EL came factory with Sailun ST235/85R16 with Metal Stems. Are you sure about the tires on yours? Tires were a concern when we were going to purchase and we were told by Heartland, they no longer used the TowMax tires. Maybe it's just the Bighorn?

Yep, I'm sure. Towmax ST 235/85R16.
Old 02-09-2017, 02:34 PM   #47

Send a message via Yahoo to Bill98116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill98116 View Post
I just bought a 2016 Heartland Gateway 3400SE 5th wheel. Haven't even picked it up from the dealer yet. I've been reading some concerning posts about the Towmax tires. Anyone had issues with them??

Thanks

Bill

9 Feb '17
Just a follow up from my tire topic. I decided to stay with the original Towmax tires since the unit was new. I checked the pressure before every road trip, have not overloaded the RV and I drive like a little old man (guess that's what I am) not going over 65 mph. Today I took the RV in to check the slide (it pops and cracks when moving in or out). While the repair guy was under the RV checking the slide, he called for me to get down here and look at the tires. We have just returned home from Texas and it looks like we made it on a wing and a prayer! One tire looked like a ballon with the center of the tread bubbling out and another tire looked ok on the inside but the left half of the tread was about an inch or more higher than the other. It looked like it had a band around the outside half of the tire. Never seen a tire look like that! Yet another story of Towmax failure. Thank the Lord we made it home without a blowout!
We have about 5,000 miles on the 18 month old RV and now have to get new tires. So now the age old question of which new tire. ST or LT? ST are made for trailers, stronger sidewalks but I've read so many stories of ST failure, now experienced my own. Seriously thinking of going LT.
Bill
Old 02-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #48

Chief Bill, you need to go out and get some lottery tickets, soon!
Old 02-09-2017, 07:35 PM   #49

Consider Sailun or Maxxis, they should serve you well.
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 07:44 PM   #50

Quote:
We have about 5,000 miles on the 18 month old RV and now have to get new tires. So now the age old question of which new tire. ST or LT? ST are made for trailers, stronger sidewalks but I've read so many stories of ST failure, now experienced my own. Seriously thinking of going LT.
Bill
Don't confuse blowmax/other same ST E 80 psi tire brands with a commercial grade ST S637 or other all steel ply carcass load G tires. Apples vs oranges.

As was mentioned the Sailun S637 load G at 110 psi/4080 lb cap are a excellent choice for a 14k lb trailer. These tires don't cost both arms and a leg.

The Goodyear G614 LT235/85-16 RST G load range at 3750 lbs/110 psi is another commercial grade all steel ply carcass tire. These tires are very pricey.

Both tires are tops for the commercial regional service trailers. They work great on RV trailers also.

I wouldn't put any brand ST E 80 psi back on a trailer that heavy especially one that sees lot of long trips per year.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:31 PM   #51

Another vote for Maxxis... We have 15" wheels so were limited... I got rid of the blowmax tires before our first trip. So far, over 4000 miles, at highway speeds,, no prob...
Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:33 AM   #52

Angry

Quote:
I just bought a 2016 Heartland Gateway 3400SE 5th wheel. Haven't even picked it up from the dealer yet. I've been reading some concerning posts about the Towmax tires. Anyone had issues with them??

Thanks
Bill
They are the WORST tires made. I bought a new Heartland Big Horn and have had ALL 4 tires either bubble up or explode. A 5th tire I stupidly bought also EXPLODED. I now have Herculese tires and have my fingers crossed. Good luck.
Old 02-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #53

Quote:
9 Feb '17
Just a follow up from my tire topic. I decided to stay with the original Towmax tires since the unit was new. I checked the pressure before every road trip, have not overloaded the RV and I drive like a little old man (guess that's what I am) not going over 65 mph. Today I took the RV in to check the slide (it pops and cracks when moving in or out). While the repair guy was under the RV checking the slide, he called for me to get down here and look at the tires. We have just returned home from Texas and it looks like we made it on a wing and a prayer! One tire looked like a ballon with the center of the tread bubbling out and another tire looked ok on the inside but the left half of the tread was about an inch or more higher than the other. It looked like it had a band around the outside half of the tire. Never seen a tire look like that! Yet another story of Towmax failure. Thank the Lord we made it home without a blowout!
Bill
Trial and error has always seemed to work well for Goodyear. They have a lot of experience with RV trailer tires and are now building a completely new tire for RV trailers at one of their USA plants. You might be able to use one of their sizes without having to get new rims.

The tire rack has a complete list of "Endurance" tire sizes and specs. Here is a link.

GoodyearÂ*Endurance
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:54 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heartland RV Club
Quote:

Thanks
Bill
Get rid of Towmax soon as possible......junk tires in my opinion.. I had two blowouts on a brand new 2013 Bifghorn within 4,000 miles which did serious damage to right wheel well area. All on isolated Hwy 50 in Nevada. Switched to 14 ply Saliuns.
Good luck on your decision.

Tags
tires, tow