Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 04:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Toyota Tacoma & Hauling A 5th Wheel.

I figured someone in this group would be able to answer this for me. My DW and I have a couple of friends who want to buy a TT to tow behind their six cylinder Toyota Tacoma and I asked why they weren't looking at 5ers to get more room for the same length.

Someone told them they couldn't tow a 5er with their truck and I need to know where I could get a definitive answer to the question. Is there a site that gives a yeah or nay to this idea?

TIA

Dennis
Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #2

Tacoma is/was a lite/med duty truck-right--Vs the Tundra? Can you say weight limits. It would have to be a pretty small 5er, or trailer for that matter. Could be issues with the short dimensions of the smaller truck box vs the space needed for a 5th wheel hitch and turn radius.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:42 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Tacoma is/was a lite/med duty truck-right--Vs the Tundra? Can you say weight limits. It would have to be a pretty small 5er, or trailer for that matter. Could be issues with the short dimensions of the smaller truck box vs the space needed for a 5th wheel hitch and turn radius.
There are some pretty small and light 5ers out there. I was thinking if they were looking at an 18 foot TT by going a 5er they could actually get a 23 or 24 footer and have the same LOA and as long as they were within weight for the truck they should be OK. That's why I was hoping someone had a site that gave the truth about the things. The Toyota dealer where they live was not all that helpful.

BTW she has successfully towed a four horse trailer from Port Alberni to Princeton andn back. That route has some pretty large hills so the little standard had no problem going up and down those.
Old 07-18-2013, 04:45 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Without knowing the year/model particulars of your friend's Tacoma: I think that total tow capacity is only around 6,000 pounds...cargo (and thus pin weight capacity) unknown.

Fifth wheels have gotten so big, I think the only (new) ones out there a Tacoma could possibly handle are the molded fiberglass fivers. Scamp makes one, and so does the Canadian company Escape.
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 04:49 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesca View Post
Without knowing the year/model particulars of your friend's Tacoma: I think that total tow capacity is only around 6,000 pounds...cargo (and thus pin weightcapacity) unknown.

My 2001 Tacoma V6 only has a towing capacity of 5,000 lbs. I don't know if the newer ones have a larger capacity but I would have a hard time believing they would be any larger than 6,000.
tanstaafl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 05:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Veronica is not home at the moment but IIRC her's is a 2002 or 3 model year unit. She hauled out TT to and from Chiloquin Oregon without a problem.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Scamp used to make a smaller 5er. Other than that, I do not know of any. The problem with a 5er is the pin weight placed in the bed of the truck is 18 to 20% of the trailers GVWR. The Tacoma has a limited payload capacity to handle pin weight plus the passengers and other truck cargo.
Showroom - Scamp Trailers
Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 06:18 PM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Possum View Post
Veronica is not home at the moment but IIRC her's is a 2002 or 3 model year unit. She hauled out TT to and from Chiloquin Oregon without a problem.
Here's the thing:

This 2002 Tacoma has a towing capacity of 3500 pounds.
BUT
This 2002 Tacoma will tow up to 5,000 pounds.

Main difference is in the engine, I think.

But since top capacity does appear to be around 5,000 pounds, I'm still thinkin' Scamp or Escape are the only (new) fifth wheel options out there for the Tacoma.

Escape is built not too far from you and their fiver looks pretty nice. At $27,000.00 base, it's a little on the whatchamightcall "pricey" side, though. At least in the opinion of Madam Cheapskate here!
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 04:06 PM   #9

Check out www.fifthwheelst.com

For an in depth explanation of towing and tow vehicles, including calculators to help you determine what you can tow.
TravelTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 07:34 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Veronica's unit is a 6 cylinder standard heavy duty springs unit. I will pass on everything people give me for her. Thanks all.
Old 07-24-2013, 09:21 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Scamp used to make a smaller 5er. Other than that, I do not know of any. The problem with a 5er is the pin weight placed in the bed of the truck is 18 to 20% of the trailers GVWR. The Tacoma has a limited payload capacity to handle pin weight plus the passengers and other truck cargo.
Showroom - Scamp Trailers
Ken

Scamp still makes their 19 foot 5th wheel. They sell for about $20k brand new. But you can still find them used for less than $10k. As said before, a canadian company makes the Escape 5th wheel as well, and retails about $27k. Both were actually designed to work well with a mid-size truck like the tacoma. And actually when you try to use a full size half ton truck, you need to lift either 5th wheel about 3 inches just to clear the truck bed sides.

Keep in mind that a tacoma is not the best for most travel trailers today because they are so large, the frontal area makes them like sails. She would need to find an ultralight, hopefully more aerodynamic, and keep her speeds down.

However, the smaller frontal area of the scamp and rounded edges make them more aerodynamic, they tow really nice.
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
She hauled our old TT a 19 foot Scamp to southern Oregon and had no problem and it was an old heavy weight unit. If she can find an ultralite it would be great, cash concerns are important.