Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2016, 01:29 PM   #1

TPMS systems for 5th wheels

Anyone use them? For their 5th wheel?
Are they the same as for motor homes or are there some specific for trailers and 5th wheels?
What brands have you satisfied with?
Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2016, 01:51 PM   #2

I have and use the Tire Tracker system. Works well but I really don't think there is much difference in brand.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:35 PM   #3

great topic. I'd like to see if there is one that can monitor all 6 wheels of the truck and the 4 on the 5'er. Hmmm. Maybe I should google.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:38 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
great topic. I'd like to see if there is one that can monitor all 6 wheels of the truck and the 4 on the 5'er. Hmmm. Maybe I should google.
I think most of them out there now will do that.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:57 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliez View Post
Now I hadn't even thought of that?
Old 05-18-2016, 03:05 PM   #6

I can't speak for other brands, but TT does up to 22. That should cover all setups.😀😀
Old 05-18-2016, 03:09 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
If you Google "TPMS" here on iRV2 there should be several hours of reading...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:10 PM   #8

We used a PressurePro ssytem with a 34 wheel monitor.

34 wheels? The monitor had 10 (2+4+4) LEDs for the truck and 24 (4+4+4+4+4+4) for the trailer.

We used 6 for the truck (2+4) with a blank space. For the trailer we used the inner LEDs for the 6 wheels and with the outer last dual LED for the trailer spare. Then a blank row. The toad used the four inner LEDs for the wheels and the last outer LED for the Toad spare.

Instant clear indication of which tire is having an issue.

We used a repeater at the end of the 40' trailer to insure the toad sensors were received.
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 03:17 PM   #9

Looks like there's more than you can shake a stick at out there. I watched a u-tube on the EEZ RV System. Seems easy. They have large caps that screw on. Guess they don't affect tire balance. I wonder if they will survive as trip thru Discount Tire.
Old 05-18-2016, 03:26 PM   #10

Whatever brand you Get, I highly suggest getting metal valve stems.
Old 05-18-2016, 06:10 PM   #11

Have had TST monitors for several years--work well, great service. And up to more tires than I have...
6 on truck, 4 on trailer, haven't bothered with either spare.
Read up on several forums to get a general feeling for which gets the best reviews, then make a decision.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 06:40 PM   #12

Excel Owners Club
Smile

I use a TST 507 flow thru TPMS from Truck Safety Technologies (TST 507 Flow Thru - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Truck System Technologies). I added their repeater in the 5th basement and tied it into the 12v system. This provides a strong signal to the monitor in the cab. This system can monitor up to 22 tires. It provides both pressure and temperature of each time in a round robin fashion. If there's a sudden event it locks onto the tire in question and sounds an alarm. I've used the system for about six months now and think its great. Only thing is that if the system was active while parked near the trailer it will inventory the truck and trailer tires, then if you drive away it thinks all four trailer tires have failed. I suspect other models may act this way also. I just wait to power up the TPMS until I'm a little distance from the trailer and no issue.

As others have pointed out use steel valve stems on both truck and trailer to support the transmitters.
rarebear.nm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 09:24 AM   #13

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarebear.nm View Post
I use a TST 507 flow thru TPMS from Truck Safety Technologies (TST 507 Flow Thru - Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems - Truck System Technologies). I added their repeater in the 5th basement and tied it into the 12v system. This provides a strong signal to the monitor in the cab. This system can monitor up to 22 tires. It provides both pressure and temperature of each time in a round robin fashion. If there's a sudden event it locks onto the tire in question and sounds an alarm. I've used the system for about six months now and think its great. Only thing is that if the system was active while parked near the trailer it will inventory the truck and trailer tires, then if you drive away it thinks all four trailer tires have failed. I suspect other models may act this way also. I just wait to power up the TPMS until I'm a little distance from the trailer and no issue.

As others have pointed out use steel valve stems on both truck and trailer to support the transmitters.
The new Tire Minder system doesn't work that way. It gives you the ability to drop either the truck tire monitors or the trailer ones. You rehook it back up when you return to using both; ie: unhook trailer to go to the store or storing it. It has also upgraded its' booster unit as well. I just got this last week and installed the 6 monitor unit on my trailer adding a 7th for the spare, another 7 for the truck to include the spare. I had tried another maker and found it was not a reliable unit so returned it and went with these folks who have had great reviews and been around a long time.
lonewolftx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2016, 12:31 PM   #14

There is a method with TST for taking the trailer tires out of the system if not towing.

My flo-thru sensors are about 3 yrs old, after upgrading from the standard sensors. I recently had one that would not accept air nor allow air in. Called TST, sent everything in, and got new sensors back, in addition to replacing a badly scratched monitor that I caused. No charge. Great service, great people.

Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, ems