Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 12-25-2012, 08:59 AM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Trail Air pin box

I am looking into buying a Trailair Tri-Glide Air ride pin box this week. Looking for the pros and cons

Thanks
__________________

__________________
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,830
As stated in other threads about this pin box....
mine goes a long way in isolating the 5er movement from the truck...
less movement in all plans - up and down, side to side, and front to back (chucking)

love ours...
__________________

__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:29 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
mhs4771's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Western New York (summer) someplace warm (winter)
Posts: 370
Works great, but make sure you have enough air in the bag.
__________________
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Salisbury NC
Posts: 126
Trail air pin box

My last camper did not have this option and it made for a rough ride, our new fifth wheel has the trail air and as others have stated the ride in the truck is greatly improved, cabinets in the camper stay closed with less shifting of stuff inside the fifth wheel.
__________________
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Member
 
igor2brvn's Avatar
 
Appalachian Campers
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Works great, but make sure you have enough air in the bag.
The air bags on my Trailair pin box leak down over a period of a few weeks. Is this normal? Cannot detect a leak at the Schrader valve.
__________________
Earl and Bettye
2011 Cedar Creek Custom 36RE
2008 Ford F-350 CC Lariat 6.4L Diesel DRW 4x4
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,830
The temp changes seem to get mine down a bit, but easy enough to pump up with the $39 northern tools 100 psi pancake compressor we carry in the basement with a 25 foot coiled air line

worse case scenario is that it gets too low to support it and possibly pinches the airbag...
__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:51 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
webslave's Avatar


 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clearville, PA
Posts: 203
I've got a bit over 20K miles on my Tri-Glide Trail Air...

The pros; no push/pull, no pounding or lifting of the TV on bumps. The trailer rides back there doing its own thing while the TV does its thing and the two don't affect each other. The ride in the TV is not affected by the trailer and the trailer and its contents arrive in much better shape; nothing shifted, cabinets just the way we left them and we, too, are in much better "shape" on arrival.

The only "con" I've got after all those miles is that the "maintenance" is still a bit of a nuisance, but, I've gotten used to it and it only takes a couple of minutes. You, according to the directions, are supposed to grease 9 zerk fittings (three on each side and three up the middle) every 1,000 miles. Not a big deal and I've found that once a week is ample for the way we travel. I've got a 12v rechargeable Lincoln grease gun that I keep in the forward bay, along with the air compressor that I carry anyway, and I just do the grease thing with my usual "once a week" go-over of the mechanicals; shackle check, LP check, the usual mechanical once over type things which now includes hitting the 9 zerk fittings on the Tri-Glide base plate.

Would I buy one again? In a heart beat. The difference in towing my 318SAB without it and with it is like night and day. If I managed, somehow, to destroy this one, we'd be laid over until I could get it replaced with another. If we get another 5er, this one gets transferred to the new one, or, if it won't fit the new 5er, a new one will be part of the "deal". Very few things I consider a "must have" for our rig, but, my Weber Q-120, the B&W Turnover/Companion hitch and the Tri-Glide Trail Air are on my short list.
__________________

Don & Bronwyn + 1 Cat; J-Lo
2014 Thor Tuscany 40RX (AKA, "The Cat House")
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I've got a bit over 20K miles on my Tri-Glide Trail Air...

The pros; no push/pull, no pounding or lifting of the TV on bumps. The trailer rides back there doing its own thing while the TV does its thing and the two don't affect each other. The ride in the TV is not affected by the trailer and the trailer and its contents arrive in much better shape; nothing shifted, cabinets just the way we left them and we, too, are in much better "shape" on arrival.

The only "con" I've got after all those miles is that the "maintenance" is still a bit of a nuisance, but, I've gotten used to it and it only takes a couple of minutes. You, according to the directions, are supposed to grease 9 zerk fittings (three on each side and three up the middle) every 1,000 miles. Not a big deal and I've found that once a week is ample for the way we travel. I've got a 12v rechargeable Lincoln grease gun that I keep in the forward bay, along with the air compressor that I carry anyway, and I just do the grease thing with my usual "once a week" go-over of the mechanicals; shackle check, LP check, the usual mechanical once over type things which now includes hitting the 9 zerk fittings on the Tri-Glide base plate.

Would I buy one again? In a heart beat. The difference in towing my 318SAB without it and with it is like night and day. If I managed, somehow, to destroy this one, we'd be laid over until I could get it replaced with another. If we get another 5er, this one gets transferred to the new one, or, if it won't fit the new 5er, a new one will be part of the "deal". Very few things I consider a "must have" for our rig, but, my Weber Q-120, the B&W Turnover/Companion hitch and the Tri-Glide Trail Air are on my short list.
thanks for you input...you have convinced me that this is something I must get for our rig...again, Thanks!
__________________
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:38 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 206
My new Voltage has the Trail Aire. I will NEVER have a fifth wheel again without one! It really makes the ride both in the pickup and in the trailer smooth.
__________________
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,455
Never towed w/o MoreRyde - it came on my only 5er so I really do not know any good better but my 5er / truck combo is really nice. No rough movements at all. It us as if the 5er is super glued to the truck.

From what I read on this thread I guess w/o MorRyde or Trail Air there is some chucking and harshness.

Seems Trail Air is the best - I have seen this system on most upscale 5ers. Seems the next level down will have the MorRyde.
__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:57 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
caissiel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 1,312
Never had any thing but 2 way (front and back) 5th wheel setup for 20 Years. I set up the truck tires and springs an hardly feel the RV hooked on the truck.
Every newer 5th wheel hitche have to many parts and there is play everywhere. I use a Canadian made hitch that only has very little movement at the pin plate and the loaded truck tires are my air bags.
__________________
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:17 AM   #12
Senior Member
 
JohnBoyToo's Avatar


 
Monaco Owners Club
Join Date: May 2012
Location: DFW, Tex-US
Posts: 4,830
IMHO and with all due respect, if you haven't tried it, how can you know ?!?

I've tried with and without trailair and there's a world of difference -
but we all get used to things 'as they are' after a while and think it's normal...

Once I left my truck tires aired up when not towing and got used to it until I aired them back down to normal pressures - like I went from the floor to a pillow top mattress YRMV
__________________
'11 Monaco Diplomat 43DFT RR10R pushed by a '14 Jeep Wrangler JKU. History.. 5'ers: 13 Redwood 38gk, 11 MVP Destiny, Open Range TT, popups, vans, tents...
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:58 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IMHO and with all due respect, if you haven't tried it, how can you know ?!?

I've tried with and without trailair and there's a world of difference -
but we all get used to things 'as they are' after a while and think it's normal...

Once I left my truck tires aired up when not towing and got used to it until I aired them back down to normal pressures - like I went from the floor to a pillow top mattress YRMV

As comfort and enjoyment is our most important part of our travels...we decided to purchase the Tailair Tri-Glide Air Ride pin box. Thanks for your opinions
__________________
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,455
Let us know how you like it ?

Happy New Year !
__________________

__________________
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.