Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-25-2012, 07:59 AM   #1

Trail Air pin box

I am looking into buying a Trailair Tri-Glide Air ride pin box this week. Looking for the pros and cons

Thanks
ChiefStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:30 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
As stated in other threads about this pin box....
mine goes a long way in isolating the 5er movement from the truck...
less movement in all plans - up and down, side to side, and front to back (chucking)

love ours...
Old 12-25-2012, 06:29 PM   #3

Works great, but make sure you have enough air in the bag.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:42 PM   #4

Trail air pin box

My last camper did not have this option and it made for a rough ride, our new fifth wheel has the trail air and as others have stated the ride in the truck is greatly improved, cabinets in the camper stay closed with less shifting of stuff inside the fifth wheel.
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:31 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Works great, but make sure you have enough air in the bag.
The air bags on my Trailair pin box leak down over a period of a few weeks. Is this normal? Cannot detect a leak at the Schrader valve.
igor2brvn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:41 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
The temp changes seem to get mine down a bit, but easy enough to pump up with the $39 northern tools 100 psi pancake compressor we carry in the basement with a 25 foot coiled air line

worse case scenario is that it gets too low to support it and possibly pinches the airbag...
Old 12-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #7

I've got a bit over 20K miles on my Tri-Glide Trail Air...

The pros; no push/pull, no pounding or lifting of the TV on bumps. The trailer rides back there doing its own thing while the TV does its thing and the two don't affect each other. The ride in the TV is not affected by the trailer and the trailer and its contents arrive in much better shape; nothing shifted, cabinets just the way we left them and we, too, are in much better "shape" on arrival.

The only "con" I've got after all those miles is that the "maintenance" is still a bit of a nuisance, but, I've gotten used to it and it only takes a couple of minutes. You, according to the directions, are supposed to grease 9 zerk fittings (three on each side and three up the middle) every 1,000 miles. Not a big deal and I've found that once a week is ample for the way we travel. I've got a 12v rechargeable Lincoln grease gun that I keep in the forward bay, along with the air compressor that I carry anyway, and I just do the grease thing with my usual "once a week" go-over of the mechanicals; shackle check, LP check, the usual mechanical once over type things which now includes hitting the 9 zerk fittings on the Tri-Glide base plate.

Would I buy one again? In a heart beat. The difference in towing my 318SAB without it and with it is like night and day. If I managed, somehow, to destroy this one, we'd be laid over until I could get it replaced with another. If we get another 5er, this one gets transferred to the new one, or, if it won't fit the new 5er, a new one will be part of the "deal". Very few things I consider a "must have" for our rig, but, my Weber Q-120, the B&W Turnover/Companion hitch and the Tri-Glide Trail Air are on my short list.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 02:58 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslave View Post
I've got a bit over 20K miles on my Tri-Glide Trail Air...

The pros; no push/pull, no pounding or lifting of the TV on bumps. The trailer rides back there doing its own thing while the TV does its thing and the two don't affect each other. The ride in the TV is not affected by the trailer and the trailer and its contents arrive in much better shape; nothing shifted, cabinets just the way we left them and we, too, are in much better "shape" on arrival.

The only "con" I've got after all those miles is that the "maintenance" is still a bit of a nuisance, but, I've gotten used to it and it only takes a couple of minutes. You, according to the directions, are supposed to grease 9 zerk fittings (three on each side and three up the middle) every 1,000 miles. Not a big deal and I've found that once a week is ample for the way we travel. I've got a 12v rechargeable Lincoln grease gun that I keep in the forward bay, along with the air compressor that I carry anyway, and I just do the grease thing with my usual "once a week" go-over of the mechanicals; shackle check, LP check, the usual mechanical once over type things which now includes hitting the 9 zerk fittings on the Tri-Glide base plate.

Would I buy one again? In a heart beat. The difference in towing my 318SAB without it and with it is like night and day. If I managed, somehow, to destroy this one, we'd be laid over until I could get it replaced with another. If we get another 5er, this one gets transferred to the new one, or, if it won't fit the new 5er, a new one will be part of the "deal". Very few things I consider a "must have" for our rig, but, my Weber Q-120, the B&W Turnover/Companion hitch and the Tri-Glide Trail Air are on my short list.
thanks for you input...you have convinced me that this is something I must get for our rig...again, Thanks!
Old 12-27-2012, 06:38 AM   #9

My new Voltage has the Trail Aire. I will NEVER have a fifth wheel again without one! It really makes the ride both in the pickup and in the trailer smooth.
mpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:32 AM   #10

Never towed w/o MoreRyde - it came on my only 5er so I really do not know any good better but my 5er / truck combo is really nice. No rough movements at all. It us as if the 5er is super glued to the truck.

From what I read on this thread I guess w/o MorRyde or Trail Air there is some chucking and harshness.

Seems Trail Air is the best - I have seen this system on most upscale 5ers. Seems the next level down will have the MorRyde.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:57 PM   #11

Never had any thing but 2 way (front and back) 5th wheel setup for 20 Years. I set up the truck tires and springs an hardly feel the RV hooked on the truck.
Every newer 5th wheel hitche have to many parts and there is play everywhere. I use a Canadian made hitch that only has very little movement at the pin plate and the loaded truck tires are my air bags.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:17 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
IMHO and with all due respect, if you haven't tried it, how can you know ?!?

I've tried with and without trailair and there's a world of difference -
but we all get used to things 'as they are' after a while and think it's normal...

Once I left my truck tires aired up when not towing and got used to it until I aired them back down to normal pressures - like I went from the floor to a pillow top mattress YRMV
Old 12-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyToo View Post
IMHO and with all due respect, if you haven't tried it, how can you know ?!?

I've tried with and without trailair and there's a world of difference -
but we all get used to things 'as they are' after a while and think it's normal...

Once I left my truck tires aired up when not towing and got used to it until I aired them back down to normal pressures - like I went from the floor to a pillow top mattress YRMV

As comfort and enjoyment is our most important part of our travels...we decided to purchase the Tailair Tri-Glide Air Ride pin box. Thanks for your opinions
Old 12-29-2012, 10:34 AM   #14

Let us know how you like it ?

Happy New Year !
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote