Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #1

trail express tires

has any one ran the Trail Express tires on there 5th wheel if so what kind of reaction

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2013, 09:12 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I did a Google Internet search on "Trail Express Trailer Tire Problems" and got quite a few hits. You might try that and see what comments you find.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Two things that you do not want to go cheap on are tires and brakes. Check the country of manufacturer. Stay away from tires from China.

Ken
Old 08-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #4

Remove them and get a quality tire. You don't say what size they are. If 15" then opt for Maxxis. If 16" then there are lots more options. Michelin Ribs, Bridgestone Duravis R250, or GY G14's. Then again if you only tow 30-50 miles to a campsite a couple times a year then I would run them. But if you get out and travel some like 100-200 mile trips a couple times a month then I would ditch them.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #5

I have Trail Express tires on my 5th. I have 2,000 miles on them. At 1,700 miles I went to have them changed out for Michelin RIBS. But the tire shop did not phyically have the tires in stock. Only had them on their computer...ugh. Was told the RIBS were not available at this time...double ugh.

So I towed the trailer another 300 miles to it's current camp site.

I feel quesy about running these tires. I plan to change them in the next 6 weeks before I move the trailer next.
Old 08-17-2013, 12:18 AM   #6

My fiver came with 15" load range C Trail Express tires. No option to upgrade from factory available. I picked the unit up in Indiana and took one side trip before coming home to Colorado. A total of 2300 miles and I held my breath all the way(great lungs, huh).
As soon as I got back and before my next planned trip, I changed them out. Basically brand new tires now sitting in my garage.
I wanted Maxxis, but the only ones available ordered through Discount or Online tires were already 16 months old sitting in the warehouse.
With some research(and some trepidation) I went with the NEW Carlisle 15" ST tires in load range D. They claim to have added a nylon cap(copied Maxxis design) and widened the steel belts. I haven't seen anything bad on them yet, but they have only been out a couple of years.
Trust me! if I have any problems with them, this forum and the others I am on, will hear about it.

Ken
Old 08-18-2013, 08:41 PM   #7

thanks to all that came back to me on the Trail Express tires, it takes me back when we first got our Open Range and I called the factory on those tires they reassured me that they were good tires and nothing to worry about, the unfortunate is I believed them with less than 1000 miles I blew two tires on the same trip, of course VOMA Tires is who is the culprit bringing those tires to the USA and there was no warranty after 1 year, they don't even want to talk about it If you saw what the other tires looked like they were just waiting for the right time to leave me stranded. I have since bought 5 LT235/85R16 G614 RST LRG, I believe they are going to do me the right job . Please check your tires closely if they are the Trail Express they may work in CHINA, but not in the Good OLe USA.
Old 08-18-2013, 09:01 PM   #8

I have generally agreed that Chinese tires are to be avoided. But, last year, starting out on a 15000 mile Alaska trip, the treads separated on 2 of my Michelin XTAs while in Salt Lake. The cost of the Michelins had gone to $460 each, and were not available faster than a week. Big O Tires recommended Cooper Roadmaster 160s, which are same capacity as the Michelins. After checking with the guy who sold me the XTAs back in '08, he told me he was selling a lot of the Coopers to car-haulers with the triple alxe rigs and has not had any comeback for adjustment/complaint. So off I went with the Chinese Coopers. Now have over 20k on them and no problems--might have something to do with the overcapacity they have at 4805lbs each.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 09:55 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
wingnut60,
I also have the Roadmaster 160's, had the Goodyear G614's, blew the tread off of one and decieded that I wasn't paying $350 plus taxes and mounting and balancing for a marginal tire. So I went with the Roadmaster 215/75 R 17.5 at about $250 each out the door, mounted and with equal in them for balance. I only have about 50 miles on them right now, but will be putting a few thousand on them starting next month. My experiences with Goodyear have been not good, both the Marathons and the G614's. I had good luck with the Roadmasters on my 10 wheelers, wore out about 4 sets with no tire problems at all.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:30 PM   #10

Had em on my 2010 wildcat. 3 blew up within 5000 miles, the first at 1500 miles. Trail express 16" E load range. Pressure at 78lbs. More the $5000 damage by the first and third blowouts. Fourth tire was found warped, belts separated while replacing the third blow out. Got my father in law to check his after my third blowout. He found all four trail express were splitting between between the treads. Replaced them all and Goodyear dealer could not believed they were only 3 yrs old with less than 5000 miles.
I have trail express on my new rockwood 5er now and will be replacing them before the one year warranty runs out. Had Maxxis on my first trailer. 5 years, 20000 - 30000 miles, never a flat or abnormal wear.
davidjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 10:36 PM   #11

Franka548,
Believe me, I was unhappy that I could not get Michelins--but also could not go the $200/tire more for them.
I have heard that some US tire firms that have overseas mfg have much tighter specs/requirements in order for them to carry the brand. Cooper must be one of them?
At any rate, not unhappy now with my forced choice.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires