Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #1

I saw the ad in Trailer Life on the Equi-Flex suspension & thought it was interesting. Has anyone out there retrofitted it to their trailer yet? What kind of price are we looking at and time involved for installation?

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2007, 05:54 AM   #2

I saw the ad in Trailer Life on the Equi-Flex suspension & thought it was interesting. Has anyone out there retrofitted it to their trailer yet? What kind of price are we looking at and time involved for installation?

Texan by choice. (even before Escapees)....... Not by chance.
P3 guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have looked into a similar system: EZ flex by Dexter. My 5er rig has shocks, and I could not get an answer to my inquiry about shocks interfering with a flex suspension-system retrofit, so I passed. However, I have ordered the Dexter heavy-duty suspension kit, upgrading to bronze bushing with bolts and equalizers designed with grease fittings.

Mike

97 Dodge 3500 Diesel 2nd owner
Mike-n-Teri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 08:38 AM   #4

Mike, where you able to install the EZ-Flex and have you towed the new setup yet?

James
Old 06-12-2007, 01:49 PM   #5

We have the Trail Air Equa-Flex & Trail Air pin box installed on our toy hauler and have now put a couple 1000 miles on it since installation. Noticeably different ride and towing since I self installed them.
It took me a little over 2 hours to install the Equa-Flex, about the same for the pin box, another person would have been a big help.
I'm almost 70 and don't work as fast as I used to.
Old 06-21-2007, 07:10 PM   #6

Dexter Ez flex works very good but poss not as good as a full air bag set up like trailair of others. It takes the sharp edges off bridges or pot holes when you hit them. Shocks are the biggest improvment to any trailer then better tires and undercarage mods last , I have done them all to my 31' holiday. I can honestly say for 10000 lbs its the best towing trailer I have ever owned , compared to many smaller ones I have towed. Ez flex kits can be had for around 200.00 with brass bushings for up to 6000 lb axals and about 240.00 for axals over 6000 lbs. Dexters web page is confusing but give them a call they will set you strait if your not sure.
Old 06-24-2007, 08:04 AM   #7

P3guy, I installed the Equa-flex on my Montana Mountaineer. Took about two hours.....90 minutes for the first side (figuring it all out) and 30 minutes for the second side. I got the greaseable brass bushings and that was the biggest challenge....getting the old nylon bushings out! Total cost straight from the factory was $280.00 for the 7K axles. I have only done one trip since the install and did notice a difference. I don't get that double bounce going over rough spots, highway joints, railroad tracks etc. Like others here, I too have the Trailair pinbox. Between the two the ride is pretty sweet!

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 01:42 PM   #8

Hi,
I just installed a set on my Titanium. There are pics on the Titanium Rv site. As mentioned it went very easy. The first side was exploratory and took a few hrs the second side took 1/2 hr. In the mods section of that site are two threads you can read with detailed instructions.
You have to reg seperately for the photo site. Haven't done a road test yet. I have shocks on mine and had to undo the olower nut to do the job but not remove them.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:43 PM   #9

Hi Again,
Oops sorry I did the Dexter E-Z flex system. Plse disregard comments in previous post
Old 07-24-2007, 05:17 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Dear husband installed the Equaflex shackle today. The main difference is the addition of rubber in lieu of a full metal shackle and brass bushings instead of plastic. Also the Equaflex has greasable bolts. (Zwerk fittings). We will be camping this weekend but only about 50 miles from home so we might see if there is any difference in the rig. The Trailair pinbox has not arrived yet. I think the pinbox will make the most significant change.

Our rig came with shock absorbers and they have been replaced once.

The plastic bushings were worn out, but the rig does have about 25,000 miles on it.
N
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 06:05 PM   #11

Texas Boomers Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
We did not notice any difference with the addition of the Equaflex. We had already upgraded the shock absorbers so probably the difference is best on a rig manufactured without shocks ??

We received the Trail Air pinbox today. We will be leaving in three weeks for Nova Scotia and I will be very disapointed if we do not see improvement in the ride then.
Nancy
ncason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 03:29 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by mr smokey:
Sorry I hopped in from another post. Equa flex installed without shocks will alow your shackles to hop to the top.. invert themselfs and cause your axles to be in the wrong plane. This will cause an unequal load on your axles and cause severe tire scuffing.. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Smokey, say what???????? Hop to the top of what?? Do you actually have this product? Have you actually seen this happen? I called the good folks over at Trail-air today and asked them about this side flex and they had no idea what you are talking about. I went out today and looked at my setup and see no way the shackles could invert themselves and stay in that position. As far as side flex, the rubber bushing that is installed in this system is enclosed between steel plates. Unless these metal plates actually failed, (and then you would have bigger problems) I don't see how they are going to flex anyway except how they are designed. I would love to see your statements backed up with facts and pics to make your whole claim credible.

& 2 DD's, plus the yellow camping labs.
Sundevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2007, 08:23 AM   #13

Heartland RV Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> quote:
Originally posted by mr smokey:
Sorry I hopped in from another post. Equa flex installed without shocks will alow your shackles to hop to the top.. invert themselfs and cause your axles to be in the wrong plane. This will cause an unequal load on your axles and cause severe tire scuffing..

Smokey, say what???????? Hop to the top of what?? Do you actually have this product? Have you actually seen this happen? I called the good folks over at Trail-air today and asked them about this side flex and they had no idea what you are talking about. I went out today and looked at my setup and see no way the shackles could invert themselves and stay in that position. As far as side flex, the rubber bushing that is installed in this system is enclosed between steel plates. Unless these metal plates actually failed, (and then you would have bigger problems) I don't see how they are going to flex anyway except how they are designed. I would love to see your statements backed up with facts and pics to make your whole claim credible.

</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I am with you Sundevil, I can see no way that could happen.

And Bill and Nancey, as to feeling a big change in the ride in your tow vehicle with only the Equaflex on the trailer, you will feel some reduction of the shock of hitting holes or bumps transfer to your tow vehicle, but the main thing with the Equaflex is in the trailer ride and less impact transfer to the trailer frame. Things will stay where you put them in the trailer. When you install the Trailair Pinbox you will find a huge difference in ride of the tow vehicle and even better ride in the trailer.

Take a ride just before you install the Trailair pinbox with your trailer, observe the regular hitch through the rear window. Then install the Trailair and take the same ride and observe the pinbox working. All the movement of the pinbox is taking away the sharp impacts of the roadway. Sure your truck is still going to ride like it's got a load in the bed because you do, but you have to blame that on your trucks suppension.

Edit: Should have checked the date of post by Bill & Nancy, I see in another thread they have already installed the Trailair Pinbox. Sure hope they did a before and after.