Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2017, 01:06 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
TrailAir hitch coupler, to buy or not to buy?

So when ordering my fifth, I have the option to order with a Trailair hitch coupler.

I don't know much about it, so I'm wondering if it's that big of a deal, and 2) possibly there is a better hitch coupler on the market that I could add instead of the trailair hitch coupler.

Thoughts?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2017, 01:47 PM   #2

Howdy Plasma800, I have the TrailAir Ride Pin-box on my 2012 Cardinal and love it. I have pulled other 5th wheels without it and it makes a world of difference. No jerking or harsh pounding going on back there, just smooth towing. However, they also make the TrailAir RotoFlex, and the TrailAir FlexAir. Not sure which one they are offering, but you can see the differences on https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=trailair . Basically, The TrailAir FlexAir is the standard TrailAir with the RotoFlex added, which they then call the TrailAir FlexAir.
With that said, there are other brands & methods of getting the "air ride" involved in your 5th wheel hitch, but I do not have any experience with those.
Hopefully, other folks will comment on them for you.

Take Care!
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:10 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
Howdy Plasma800, I have the TrailAir Ride Pin-box on my 2012 Cardinal and love it. I have pulled other 5th wheels without it and it makes a world of difference. No jerking or harsh pounding going on back there, just smooth towing. However, they also make the TrailAir RotoFlex, and the TrailAir FlexAir. Not sure which one they are offering, but you can see the differences on https://www.etrailer.com/s.aspx?qry=trailair . Basically, The TrailAir FlexAir is the standard TrailAir with the RotoFlex added, which they then call the TrailAir FlexAir.
With that said, there are other brands & methods of getting the "air ride" involved in your 5th wheel hitch, but I do not have any experience with those.
Hopefully, other folks will comment on them for you.

Take Care!
Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #4

See my post regarding your hitch question...

The Goosebox utilizes 2 shocks and an air bag to cushion the ride. Using it replaces the pinbox. Drop this coupler right down onto a GN ball without a hitch inbetween. If you have the B&W Turnover GN hitch in a SB truck you could use their offset ball adapter to move the ball 4" rearward for better cab clearance

I can't speak highly enough of the GooseBox.
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 02:41 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNCJ View Post
See my post regarding your hitch question...

The Goosebox utilizes 2 shocks and an air bag to cushion the ride. Using it replaces the pinbox. Drop this coupler right down onto a GN ball without a hitch inbetween. If you have the B&W Turnover GN hitch in a SB truck you could use their offset ball adapter to move the ball 4" rearward for better cab clearance

I can't speak highly enough of the GooseBox.

Like so?

This seems like it would be a real undertaking to line up when hitching.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:03 PM   #6

It can be without guidance from my traveling partner....DW. A little practice and you're there pretty quickly. I love the complete use of the bed when we unhitch! Pop out the GN ball and chain loops and the bed is empty... no bulky hitch in the way!

It provides a very smooth tow compared to the Andersen coupled to a STD pinbox (my old setup)!

Is your 3500 a short bed or the full 8'?
Old 09-12-2017, 04:16 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
It can be without guidance from my traveling partner....DW. A little practice and you're there pretty quickly. I love the complete use of the bed when we unhitch! Pop out the GN ball and chain loops and the bed is empty... no bulky hitch in the way!

It provides a very smooth tow compared to the Andersen coupled to a STD pinbox (my old setup)!

So the Anderson does like this... Essentially the same thing, but it moves the ball up within eye view - well I think anyway. Weighs 50 lbs, and easily detaches from the turnoverball. There's a mating piece that attaches to your pin box that sets down much the way that reese does.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:06 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:

full 8'

i just caught that you said you've tried an andersen
Old 09-13-2017, 11:14 PM   #9

I have an Andersen coupled with a TrailAir and Mor Ride IS. It's a pretty decent ride, although if you hit multiple large dips/frost heaves, the trailer will come down a little hard on the second/third bump. Over normal bumps in the road, it's pretty smooth.

The only thing I have to compare it to is towing a larger trailer with Andersen and standard pinbox, Dexter suspension. It was a little rougher, but not terrible either. It didn't have the second/third heave slam that the TrailAir will produce, but was harder overall.

I run with a little more pressure in the TrailAir airbag, and that takes most of the above issues out. I'd take the TrailAir over standard, but have no idea how it compares to the other cushioned options out there, or how it will work with a traditional hitch.
aknavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 06:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
full 8'

i just caught that you said you've tried an andersen
Yes I have used the Andersen and it is a great hitch! It is easy to move in and out but takes up space. At home I simply hang it on the garage wall when not in use. When traveling if I desire an empty truck bed (and I do at times) I need to make room for it in the trailer... It's not quite as convient as the GooseBox and I didn't have a cushioned Pinbox.

"Two birds with one stone"
Old 09-14-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Yes I have used the Andersen and it is a great hitch! It is easy to move in and out but takes up space. At home I simply hang it on the garage wall when not in use. When traveling if I desire an empty truck bed (and I do at times) I need to make room for it in the trailer... It's not quite as convient as the GooseBox and I didn't have a cushioned Pinbox.

"Two birds with one stone"
Yeah, I see
Old 09-19-2017, 07:36 PM   #12

We just got our new Flex Air pin box and it rode pretty good on the way home from the dealer. Heading for Dallas in a couple of days to test it out.
Texastbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:09 AM   #13

Quote:

DJNCJ, Are the chain loops necessary? I didn't see any chains on the Goosebox in the picture. I pull two other gooseneck trailers (stock trailer & 24ft Dovetail) and neither has chains on them, never have had them.
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 06:25 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMelder View Post
DJNCJ, Are the chain loops necessary? I didn't see any chains on the Goosebox in the picture. I pull two other gooseneck trailers (stock trailer & 24ft Dovetail) and neither has chains on them, never have had them.
My guess is they aren't necessary in some states and required in others?? Either way I prefer the added layer of safety. My truck has the factory puck system and I found a GN ball/chain loop kit for it. I really like the simplicity of the whole setup!

Tags
air