Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-21-2016, 06:03 AM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Trailer brakes grab hard at low speeds

My trailer brakes work fine (dexter 8K axles) exiting freeway. But get slowed down to about 15 MPH or less, just touching the brake pedal...the trailer brakes grab hard! have to turn the setting down on the trailer brake controller adjustment to get smooth braking...it is a Primus IQ Brake Control...Is this normal? if not what is causing this to accure?

5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
oldeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-21-2016, 06:16 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeguy View Post
My trailer brakes work fine (dexter 8K axles) exiting freeway. But get slowed down to about 15 MPH or less, just touching the brake pedal...the trailer brakes grab hard! have to turn the setting down on the trailer brake controller adjustment to get smooth braking...it is a Primus IQ Brake Control...Is this normal? if not what is causing this to accure?
If your trailer brakes are grabbing hard at speeds of 15MPH or less they not adjusted correctly, (which over time will cause premature wear).

Old 02-21-2016, 06:23 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds to me like you have your "normal" setting adjusted too high.

Not sure exactly how your specific brake controller works BUT this is how my unit works.

I use a Prodigy P3 which you adjust the power output at your "normal" setting as described in the manual. Then they have different "boost" settings which will give you added power for stopping in "other" situations such as hauling a heavier trailer or descending steep grades, etc.

Instructions below.

Adjusting the Power to the Trailer Brakes (Prior to setting Boost)

Once the control has been securely mounted within the 0 to 70-degree range, it is necessary to set the power needed to stop the trailer during a braking event.

1. Connect trailer to tow vehicle.
2. With engine running hold manual full left and set Power Knob to indicate 6.0
3. Drive tow vehicle and trailer on a dry level paved surface at 25 mph and fully apply manual knob.
✓ If trailer brakes lock up:
❑ Turn power down using power knob.
✓ If braking was not sufficient:
❑ Turn power up using power knob.
4. Repeat Step (3) until power has been set to a point just below wheel lock up or at a sufficient force as to achieve maximum braking power.
5. Using the brake pedal, make a few low speed stops to check the power setting. Trailer braking is initiated and terminated via the stoplight switch. When the brake pedal is released, trailer braking will cease.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-21-2016, 09:37 AM   #4

I use a Primus IQ and have it set to around 5.5 towing 9000lbs. I set the Boost to B2 when out on the road. I reset it to B1 when in town or pulling thru a CG. I know they say set it and forget it but I can't with my Ram. Maybe Rams are different in the trailer braking parameters then Ford or GM. I have the same slow speed grab with the OEM Ram controller also. The IQ is smoother overall than the OEM TBC.
Old 02-21-2016, 05:32 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
cumminsfan...I forgot all about the "Boost" setting. I went out to check my setting and dig out the instruction. It is set to a boost level to 3...So, I have the controller set up wrong...I set boost level...then tried to adjust brake power level.
5.9l cummins in a 03 RAM 3500 DRW, pulling a 07 Jayco Designer 34RLQS... all new to me...haul'en me, my sweetie...and man's best friend, our stubby tailed (no tail at all) Australian cattle & Boxer mix rescue dog!
Old 02-21-2016, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
cumminsfan...I forgot all about the "Boost" setting. I went out to check my setting and dig out the instruction. It is set to a boost level to 3...So, I have the controller set up wrong...I set boost level...then tried to adjust brake power level.
LOL, gotta laugh with you. I had mine set on 3 once coming into a small town on the Oregon coast. The light changed to yellow and caught me off guard and I hit the brakes. Locked up the 5er brakes pretty good. Nothing like squealing tires to get everyone's attention. All kinds of people turning around to see what all the commotion was. The light couldn't turn to green fast enough.
Old 02-29-2016, 05:33 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Well, I do have to say that I feel like pretty stupid at this point...followed the instruction by the manufacture and advise by iRV2 folks on this post....and "SHAZAM" they are not grabby anymore. my setting is around 6.5 and Boost at b1 at slow speed b2 high speed. My previous setting was b3...thanks guys....
Old 02-29-2016, 05:49 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Glad to hear things are working as they should.

The old saying still applies, "when in doubt, read the manual".

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 02-29-2016, 06:32 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Dr4film...thks 4 the feedback...just a question 4U, your forum/screen name...it has to have a good story behind it...can U share? my mind is thinking U read Xrays... am I close? ...mr ducks, cm e d b d I's...lol or U worked in... done guessing...
Old 03-01-2016, 06:04 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:

Dr4film...thks 4 the feedback...just a question 4U, your forum/screen name...it has to have a good story behind it...can U share? my mind is thinking U read Xrays... am I close? ...mr ducks, cm e d b d I's...lol or U worked in... done guessing...
THIS explains it pretty good...

Dr4Film ----- Richard

Tags
brakes, brake